Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Sep 2017, 5:55 am

I have social phobia. It's hard, especially because getting along with other people is so important to be successful in life. I struggle hard when in a social situation no one speaks, then I panic and feel like I have to keep the conversation going no matter what. It often ends with me making a fool out of my self. I also have trouble being with only one person at a time, it's just too intensive for me trying to hold a conversation for long. I prefer groups where there is at least one person skilled in conversation that can keep the flow going.

But worst of all is getting along with NT people. It's so hard. They seem so different from me, it's like they speak another language. Aspies is a lot easier and interesting to talk to and spend time with in most cases.

Froya
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 5:18 pm

Yes, I have it. AS and SA (social anxiety) is such a lovely combination. If you join a facebook group for people with SA you might get in touch with people with the same "issues", or at least feel recognition with others, and their experiences with social anxiety. Also a small dose of antidepressants might help some. Without it, I would probably struggle with things like going to the grocery.

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2017, 4:25 pm

Froya wrote:
Yes, I have it. AS and SA (social anxiety) is such a lovely combination. If you join a facebook group for people with SA you might get in touch with people with the same "issues", or at least feel recognition with others, and their experiences with social anxiety. Also a small dose of antidepressants might help some. Without it, I would probably struggle with things like going to the grocery.

I know! It's the worst! If I only had SA to worry about I think my life would have been a lot different.

I haven't joined any SA groups actually, lot's of AS groups though. Can you recommend me some groups and perhaps send links on PM? Or do I need an invitation? Some of the AS groups I'm in are hidden and invite only. I used to write in a some SA forums. In one big worldwide one I got scared away by someone suddenly initiating contact from Vietnam over chat and the other more local forum got shut down, then restarted and had no active users in the end. I could use somewhere new :)

I do manage to go grocery shopping without meds. Especially now that I've moved to a new place where I don't know anyone and can be anonymous. Where I used to live before was like a prison, I couldn't go out without meeting someone I knew on the street and my neighbors was scary and I was afraid of my landlady and they tried to extort me for money because I'm naive and afraid of confrontations. Life is better at my new place, my stress level has dropped considerably.

Og hei fra Norge ;)

IWant2Believe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2017, 12:23 pm

All my life, especially since puberty. This is why I can't keep a job but I think some of my social anxiety comes from not always knowing what to do or being unsure that I won't behave inappropriately.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 1:31 pm

I have pretty bad social anxiety - plus when I get really nervous, it gets harder/impossible for me to speak. Lovely combination, that :roll: And because I can speak just fine some of the time, no one believes that I can't. It helps if I have someone (usually my mom) to help cover for me in such situations.

I feel like I don't even fit in among other Aspies/autistics, although it is less challenging for me to interact with others on the autism spectrum because I'm not quite as different from them.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 2:12 pm

I also have social anxiety as well. If it wasn't for antidepressants I would barely speak at all! I always fear silence when other people are talking to me as usually it was my fault cause I didn't know what to say or keep the conversation going. Then when I get done talking to people I worry about the things that I said, whether they were right or wrong!

It's a pain dealing with SA. I talk to people a little more if I have someone to cover for me(like my mother) but by myself I stammer a lot.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 2:29 pm

Enceladus wrote:
I have social phobia. It's hard, especially because getting along with other people is so important to be successful in life. I struggle hard when in a social situation no one speaks, then I panic and feel like I have to keep the conversation going no matter what. It often ends with me making a fool out of my self. I also have trouble being with only one person at a time, it's just too intensive for me trying to hold a conversation for long. I prefer groups where there is at least one person skilled in conversation that can keep the flow going.

But worst of all is getting along with NT people. It's so hard. They seem so different from me, it's like they speak another language. Aspies is a lot easier and interesting to talk to and spend time with in most cases.
I was provisionally diagnosed with social phobia when I was diagnosed with autism. Even in my mostly emotionally blunt state that I am in now I still see the sub-concious affects of it..

Quiet Mouse
Raven
Raven

25 Oct 2017, 10:52 pm

I do too. It seems to be pretty common now.

I didn't realize I had it until my heart started pounding a lot when I talked. It seemed to get progressively worse each day since then.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 10:01 pm

I have it 1000%, to the point I was diagnosed with agoraphobia. I am pretty much reclusive, very seldom leaving the house except at night in the dark to take my dog out quickly. I dont even like putting out trash in the day. You are not alone. I can relate to everything the other members have posted in response. I ruminate over every social outing for hours/ days even if I didn't speak to anyone. I don't even like being looked at without speaking!! ! What a burden. Daylight Savings is the worst. I love when it's dark!! ! Hang in and remember you aren't alone! :D

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Nov 2017, 2:52 am

I have general anxiety & do feel anxious around people sometimes(it was worse when I was younger & wasn't on an anxiety med) but I don't think I have social phobia at least nowadays. However my girlfriend is on the spectrum & has social anxiety along with Avoidant Personality Disorder & I think she would have social phobia. She can handle going places but sometimes gets very nervous before she does & sometimes puts things off cuz of it. She prefers to stay inside & not go to places unless she has to or really wants to. She has a problem even going to places she goes regularly because she sees each time as a different experience. Different people may be there & even if it's the same people they may behave differently or talk about different things or whatever. she sometimes takes Ativan/Lorazepam before going out.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition