Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2017, 9:38 am

Aristophanes wrote:
Ragnahawk wrote:
I'm not being critical or trying to impress anybody. When I gather information I understand things from a multiple possibility perspective. I habitually provide all of the information I usually need to other people even if it is unnecessary. My ego, D*** size sucks A** and I would lose all of those confrontations before they even begin. Sorry if I am being too efficient in information. I'll climb off my pedestal and stop doing that.
(offends reader. gets offended. goes back to what they were doing.) :mrgreen:

I apologize, for a second I thought you were pseudo-trolling, or trying to be contrary just to be contrary. I see that's not the case, now, so again I'm sorry for misinterpreting the conversation.

It's all good man. This gives me a better understanding of you. I like that. You are a good person.

I've migrated over to autismforums. PM me for anything, although I'm better contacted over at autismforums.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 11:58 pm

Almajo88 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by-hp-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-brushed-aluminum/5759916.p?skuId=5759916

Is that a good computer? I was hoping to spend around $600 but want one to play age of empires 4 and maybe arma 2

I can't comment on US pricing, but the spec is absolutely solid for 1080p gaming at least. Do note that it is only the 3GB GTX 1060, and therefore might limit your texture or shadow resolution in some games. I can't comment on AOE4 or Arma 2 since I don't play either. Performance will be good besides that but stutter while quickly turning or moving could indicate low memory and might necessitate lowering texture or shadow resolution.

It might be worthwhile to check how cheaply you can buy an equivalent system in parts, and put it together yourself, since this is usually cheaper. That said I can understand if you wouldn't want to do this.

Thought about it but I have no computer skills and understanding. And videos I watched said when you build they pretty much never start first time and you have to figure out why. And Warrenty is on parts not the computer so if a part fails 6 months in you have to figure out which part. I wouldn’t have no Clue and just get frustrated. i don’t get parts either. I see i5 and i7 and think i7 better but I’m told some i5s are better then low i7 . I dont know what 3GB GTX 1060 is . I know it’s the graphics card but I can’t tell one from another or which is better or good.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 3:02 am

Well it looks like there's a chance I might be getting a new PC soon. Unexpected. Came up in a discussion with my father (who controls my money, which comes from who knows where, I dont question it) who suggested that it might be about time to get a new one, particularly as there are a few funky issues with this one that I tend to forget about. Wonky connections in particular . But also this means I could potentially take this one to one of the other two houses, allowing me not to have to put up with my laptop there.

So that could get interesting. Aside from the "redownload every freaking game all over again" bit.

If it happens I'll be having the Fry's build it again. Me doing it is a recipe for disaster and/or explosions (of rage). The only thing I KNOW I'd very specifically want is another SSD. I just cant go back to the other type after having used that. As for other hardware... eh. The previous time, for this machine, I mostly just explained the things I'd be using this machine for, and let the people at Fry's decide what would be best to go in it (and for the most part, that worked out really well). Actually, no, one other thing I know I'd want is another case with some USB slots ON THE TOP instead of putting ALL of them in the back. That drives me crazy.

Not to mention that starting from a clean slate isnt a bad idea. ....it also might offer me a chance to start with both Windows and Linux on it, rather than having to deal with the potential disaster of trying to add it to this machine. The idea being that Windows drives me crazy, so I could mostly stick to Linux and only use Windows for specific games that absolutely need it. And numerous people I know have been constantly ranting about this at me, saying that using it will solve alot of the problems I'm always complaining about. Turns out much of my collection (aside from emulators) works with Linux, too. Hm. I hadnt thought of all of that until just now.

I'd been kinda unsure on if it's a good time to do this, but... now I think the decision has been made. So that could get interesting.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 4:12 pm

sly279 wrote:
And videos I watched said when you build they pretty much never start first time and you have to figure out why.

Sounds like you're watching the wrong videos...if you know what you're doing, that shouldn't happen. At least not in this day and age.

Quote:
i don’t get parts either. I see i5 and i7 and think i7 better but I’m told some i5s are better then low i7 . I dont know what 3GB GTX 1060 is . I know it’s the graphics card but I can’t tell one from another or which is better or good.

For the most part, the higher number is better. But yeah, it does get confusing. Looking at prices can help, too.

nVidia resets their model number structure every once in a while, but currently, 10 is the series they are on, and 60 is the model. 50 is the budget entry-level model, 60 is mid-range, 70 is decent, 80 and 90 are top of the line. Anything lower than 50 is usually cheap OEM stuff.

IIRC, the 50 will usually be a little bit worse than the 80 of the previous series, so for example a 1050 wouldn't necessarily be better than a 980, even though it's a higher number. They usually have helpful benchmark comparison graphs on their webpage.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2017, 5:39 pm

Finally finished fully setting up my new system. Motherboard failed and I figured I should go with a new system, Ryzen/AM4 was the best value and more reliable long-term since AMD plans to stick with the AM4 socket. Got a Ryzen 1600, overclocked 3200MHz DDR4 and a compatible motherboard.

First of all, the 1600 is much more powerful than my old i5-4570S. Two more cores and triple the number of threads total is a huge boon for multi-threaded applications while retaining the clock speed and IPC of the old processor. The core efficiency is amazing, and the uncore apparently inherits southbridge functions and is essentially an SoC, which makes sense given AMD's focus on integration exemplified by the modern console chips they produce. I think the next-gen consoles will be based on Ryzen processors clocked a little lower coupled with a slimmed SoC and an AMD GPU (even if their GPUs are worthless)

In reality the system is quicker in general but the biggest advantage is in multi-threaded applications like x264 encoding. Games certainly benefit but it depends on the nature of the game and my meagre graphics card isn't enough to push that. I plan to upgrade to a 1070 or a 1070 Ti soon enough though.

The bundled Wraith Spire cooler is surprising. It has a copper surface and an excellent fitting with the backplate, using screws that are solid and designed to prevent over-tightening in a way that isn't typically associated with budget coolers. It's not the best at anything but it is an incredible feat of efficiency; it performs similarly to my old Freezer 13, is easier to install, has preinstalled thermal paste, pretty quiet, is much smaller than aforementioned cooler...

Worth noting the massive elephant in the room: Coffee Lake, and in particular the i5-8400, which is superior in most applications and priced similarly. I have a few issues:

- Intel refreshes sockets every generation, or every two if you're extremely lucky;

- Intel doesn't provide hyperthreading on i5 processors, artificially hindering multithread performance;

- Intel still doesn't use solder, something that has propelled an entire micro-industry of delidders;

- Intel gouges on motherboard prices.

Coffee Lake does perform better, it is a superior architecture in terms of current real use. Intel clearly has superior R&D. AMD is still an outsider, an underdog, except now their position is tenable. This isn't to say that AMD isn't a massive corporation, or that they aren't hugely profitable given their current engagements, but it's great to see genuine competition and I don't mind opting for an overall cheaper option so long as it isn't worthless like previous AMD architectures (Bulldozer) were.

My biggest issues with the current setup is that my MSI motherboard doesn't allow for voltage offsets. I like to undervolt for extra power, heat and noise savings. (Undervolting can also be a massive boon for phones, which typically have more aggressive heat and power scaling that is minimised by undervolting)

Overall I'm really happy with this and will probably use it as a main system for a long time, given that miniaturisation has slowed to a crawl and will hit a wall after a period of slow progressions.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 8:23 pm

Well after Coffee Lake came out I've decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my system. Although it technically came out weeks ago it's been almost impossible to source one in Australia due to almost no stock, but I finally found one shop in Australia yesterday with stock. So soon I will be upgrading to the 8700K, which I'm hoping to be able to get to 5GHz, which would be a first for me, as well as RAM rated at 3200Mhz DDR4, which I'll try to overclock too.