11 Oct 2017, 6:47 pm

Summary
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz 45 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-A (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C
Graphics
HP 25xw (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (MSI) 48 °C
Storage
447GB PNY CS1311 480GB SSD ATA Device (SSD) 30 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Desktop
Copied from speccy.

I'm not mechanically proficient in computers. I'm not interested in spending any more $ for upgrades or switching out parts. I am wondering what I'm losing with windows 7 and possible work around.

I've migrated over to autismforums. PM me for anything, although I'm better contacted over at autismforums.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 7:29 pm

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K

RAM
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

Motherboard
ASRock Z170 Pro4S LGA 1151

Graphics

2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (GIGABYTE)

Storage
Mechanical: 1 x 300 GB Seagate (can't remember model, used for backup user settings, over 10 years old),
1 x 1 TB WD (again can't remember model, 8 years old, used for long term storage),
SSD: 2 x Crucial 256GB Sata III MLC SSD (used for music sample library, mostly EWQLSO Platinum and BFD3)
M.2: Samsung EVO 500GB (used for OS + programs)

Audio
M-Audio M-track Plus MKII, mid-level Behringer Studio monitor speakers (can't remember the model)

Case
Cooler Master Storm Stryker, (custom paint job: blue, silver, and hints of red), all fans slots with appropriate size fans (can't remember, think it's like 8 or so)

Power Supply
Corsair HX750i 750W

Aftermarket Cooling
Corsair H110i GT

I don't game anymore, mostly just programming, watch videos, and make music on the rig. As such I only put performance parts where they are useful, and I never build from 'scratch' I overhaul old systems, hence the reason I have 2 ancient mechanical hard drives still spinnin'. Contrary to most 'builders' I go goo-goo ga-ga over solid power supplies and motherboards, they provide no performance, just a rock solid no error backbone, which to me is the most important part of any build.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 5:52 am

Ragnahawk wrote:
I'm not mechanically proficient in computers. I'm not interested in spending any more $ for upgrades or switching out parts. I am wondering what I'm losing with windows 7 and possible work around.

With Windows 7 you're losing out on the opportunity to have your sanity shattered by Windows 10.

I wish I could switch BACK to 7. But Microsoft went all-out in erasing it from the face of the planet, so I cant get a copy.

When it comes to gaming, I've found that 10 causes nothing but trouble. When it comes to other things, uh.... still nothing but trouble. I'm relatively certain that at it's deepest level, it's made out of tragedy and failure, not ones and zeros.

Though what I'd REALLY like to do is just go back to DOS. It did what I told it... and that was the ONLY thing it did.

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2017, 6:28 am

Misery wrote:
Ragnahawk wrote:

With Windows 7 you're losing out on the opportunity to have your sanity shattered by Windows 10.

I wish I could switch BACK to 7. But Microsoft went all-out in erasing it from the face of the planet, so I cant get a copy.

When it comes to gaming, I've found that 10 causes nothing but trouble. When it comes to other things, uh.... still nothing but trouble. I'm relatively certain that at it's deepest level, it's made out of tragedy and failure, not ones and zeros.

Though what I'd REALLY like to do is just go back to DOS. It did what I told it... and that was the ONLY thing it did.

Well I've had someone push windows 10 like I'm losing performance. You understand where I am coming from.

I've migrated over to autismforums. PM me for anything, although I'm better contacted over at autismforums.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 8:07 am

...Losing performance? Who told you that?

I dunno about performance, but you'll lose plenty of stability if you switch to 10. Hell, I often wonder if one of the reasons why MS erased 7 is because they figured that people were going to try to switch back (and thus become harder to advertise to, which is one of the "features" of 10... sarcastic quotes, those) after seeing how much of a mess it is. Whereas 7 was the most stable-ish version in who knows how long.

The issue of "Windows rot" in particular seems waaaayyyyyy worse with 10 than it ever used to be. Among other problems. The frequency with which new issues appear that I need to fix has probably tripled since 10 infected my PC. Some of those problems are particularly nonsensical. Did you know it's possible for Windows to think that a controller is a speaker? While at the same time being two controllers at once, one of which only half exists? I'm not even sure how I could explain that one better, it sounds like a bad joke.

I can say though that performance sure as hell never went UP with this one. Granted, I usually dont pay much attention to performance. As far as I'm concerned, the blasted machine either works or it doesnt. Though I never noticed any improvements of any sort in any games I have. Everything is running at max settings at all times anyway.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 8:19 am

Almajo88 wrote:
Alien Isolation looked and played better on my Intel integrated HD 4600 than it did on my PS3. Binary Domain was a good experience in 60 frames at console spec. There were lots of games that worked well on it and I bet it's gotten better recently.

Yeah, sounds like they got a lot better. The last integrated Intel graphics chip I had was on a budget laptop from 2003. It didn't support pixel shader 2.0 at all, but it ran Quake 3 engine stuff decently.

Ragnahawk wrote:
I am wondering what I'm losing with windows 7 and possible work around.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The only problems I've ever had with Win7, I doubt upgrading to 10 would fix.

Although you've missed out on the "upgrade to 10 for free" offer, I'm sure Win7 will remain relevant for quite a few years yet. At least until a new DirectX comes out, if that kind of upgrade would even be remarkable.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 12:43 pm

I'm not a fan of 10's backdoor snooping, but aside from that I haven't had any issues with 10's performance or stability and I run some ancient pieces of hardware (check my mechanical hard drives above). My experience is that it's as stable as any MS OS I've used. For those having problems, make sure it's actually 10's fault and not say 1. faulty driver from computer manufacturer, or 2. a faulty component. I'm not saying 10 may not have issues, I'm talking from my experience fixing computers: that experience has taught me MS is easy to blame, they're big, ubiquitous, and that makes them an easy target, but if you actually want your rig working make sure it's actually the OS and not a faulty component/driver that's causing the issue.

Also on that front as I mentioned in my previous post: a good consistent power supply is the absolute most important part of any build. If you get power variance data can be corrupted making programs crash, cease functioning properly, BSOD, and in a worst case scenario actually fry expensive components and possibly start fires. Power supply issues can be hard to pinpoint, they can appear as corrupt memory/processor/motherboard/OS, when in fact it's poor power causing the component to fail. Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't get built eating crappy food, if you want your rig to run like the terminator you shouldn't be feeding it crappy food either.

Also, poor cooling can have the same effects, make sure none of your components are running above their recommended threshold (most non-GPU components that's generally between 50-60 c, most GPU's are designed to handle up to 70-80 c). I recommend downloading speedfan (free) and checking your hardware once in a while under load to make sure things aren't overheating. The interior of the computer needs cleaned once in a while, I recommend disassembling and using canned air on the individual components then wiping down any fan openings/grills with a rag to clear any dust buildups as well as the fans themselves. There's nothing worse than blowing an expensive component due to maintenance neglect, not only are you out the cash, you'll feel stupid because it was easily preventable if you weren't so lazy. <-- speaking from experience here.

For all those that are gamers and have a graphics card that's way overpowered for the games they're playing, I recommend looking at reshade (free). It's a handy little program that allows you to use your own custom (and easily makeable) shaders for your game. With reshade you can add things like ambient occlusion, faux HDR, and several varieties of anti-aliasing in games that don't support it, as well as add boutique effects such as cartooning, film grain, and vignette. Even the best looking games can be improved with a little tweaking in reshade. If you're running online games, check said games forum to make sure reshade is approved for use, some games treat it as a hack because it injects the executable with it's shader parameters (most online games don't, but a few do).

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2017, 2:24 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
I'm not a fan of 10's backdoor snooping, but aside from that I haven't had any issues with 10's performance or stability and I run some ancient pieces of hardware (check my mechanical hard drives above). My experience is that it's as stable as any MS OS I've used. For those having problems, make sure it's actually 10's fault and not say 1. faulty driver from computer manufacturer, or 2. a faulty component. I'm not saying 10 may not have issues, I'm talking from my experience fixing computers: that experience has taught me MS is easy to blame, they're big, ubiquitous, and that makes them an easy target, but if you actually want your rig working make sure it's actually the OS and not a faulty component/driver that's causing the issue.

Also on that front as I mentioned in my previous post: a good consistent power supply is the absolute most important part of any build. If you get power variance data can be corrupted making programs crash, cease functioning properly, BSOD, and in a worst case scenario actually fry expensive components and possibly start fires. Power supply issues can be hard to pinpoint, they can appear as corrupt memory/processor/motherboard/OS, when in fact it's poor power causing the component to fail. Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't get built eating crappy food, if you want your rig to run like the terminator you shouldn't be feeding it crappy food either.

Also, poor cooling can have the same effects, make sure none of your components are running above their recommended threshold (most non-GPU components that's generally between 50-60 c, most GPU's are designed to handle up to 70-80 c). I recommend downloading speedfan (free) and checking your hardware once in a while under load to make sure things aren't overheating. The interior of the computer needs cleaned once in a while, I recommend disassembling and using canned air on the individual components then wiping down any fan openings/grills with a rag to clear any dust buildups as well as the fans themselves. There's nothing worse than blowing an expensive component due to maintenance neglect, not only are you out the cash, you'll feel stupid because it was easily preventable if you weren't so lazy. <-- speaking from experience here.

For all those that are gamers and have a graphics card that's way overpowered for the games they're playing, I recommend looking at reshade (free). It's a handy little program that allows you to use your own custom (and easily makeable) shaders for your game. With reshade you can add things like ambient occlusion, faux HDR, and several varieties of anti-aliasing in games that don't support it, as well as add boutique effects such as cartooning, film grain, and vignette. Even the best looking games can be improved with a little tweaking in reshade. If you're running online games, check said games forum to make sure reshade is approved for use, some games treat it as a hack because it injects the executable with it's shader parameters (most online games don't, but a few do).

Canned air contains moisture....

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 2:39 pm

Ragnahawk wrote:

That's why you take the components out, therefore the computer will have no electricity, and always point the can up as per the directions on the can. Or you could rub down all the components with a cloth and hope you don't get a static charge or mare a trace on the components. The only other option to completely clean dirt is to give all the components an overnight mineral oil bath, and hang them for a month while gravity slowly pulls the mineral oil out.

edit: and before you reply 'mineral oil has moisture in it too', mineral oil is not electrically conducive like water is, you can run any type of electronics in mineral oil without the electronics failing. Example

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2017, 3:08 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Ragnahawk wrote:

That's why you take the components out, therefore the computer will have no electricity, and always point the can up as per the directions on the can. Or you could rub down all the components with a cloth and hope you don't get a static charge or mare a trace on the components. The only other option to completely clean dirt is to give all the components an overnight mineral oil bath, and hang them for a month while gravity slowly pulls the mineral oil out.

edit: and before you reply 'mineral oil has moisture in it too', mineral oil is not electrically conducive like water is, you can run any type of electronics in mineral oil without the electronics failing. Example

Good computer places generally have blowers.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 3:21 pm

my pc is running on a very low wattage power supply so my ssd and gpu are struggling to function to maximum potential, i did IT course at college which properly trained me in how to build a pc and basic programming but can't for the life of me figure out what all these specs mean and feel ashamed to have to take it to a professional to fix

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 3:23 pm

Ragnahawk wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Ragnahawk wrote:

Well this thread is about home builders, not shop environments. Most home builders are not going to buy an air compressor for a once a year cleaning, nor should they because the cost is not economic, unless they already own an air compressor and low blow attachment for other purposes. A can of air will do just as well and only costs about 4 bucks, assuming one follows the directions and common sense. If you want to have a tit-for-tat contrary d**k measuring argument over computers lets do it over something more important than what type of air should be used to clean it with, such as Intel vs AMD or overclocking or any number of debates that are much more important than air.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 3:38 pm

Scorpius14 wrote:
my pc is running on a very low wattage power supply so my ssd and gpu are struggling to function to maximum potential, i did IT course at college which properly trained me in how to build a pc and basic programming but can't for the life of me figure out what all these specs mean and feel ashamed to have to take it to a professional to fix

First, an SSD is actually a low wattage device, so power drain shouldn't be an issue there, GPU on the other hand is one of the big three power drains (mobo, cpu, being the other two). Next time you build a system, keep a list of the wattage requirements of the components, add them up, and that will tell you exactly what kind of power supply you're going to need. I'm not a bigger is better type person, but with power supplies you should always overestimate what you're going to need by about 15-20%, that gives you plenty of overhead for future upgrades or unforeseen power drains (extra fans, leds, etc), not to mention over time the capacitors in a power supply will degrade and thus it will throughput lower wattage (this is less of concern now than it was a decade ago when the market was filled with substandard capacitors).

Also schooling is one thing, it gives you an idea, you don't truly learn until you attempt something and fail miserably. That's what real learning is: learning not to make the same mistake twice. Don't feel bad your education (or possibly forgetting part of the education) failed you, you made a mistake, you're paying for it now, and from your tone I don't think you'll make the same mistake again, and that's progress, so chin up! :wink:

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2017, 5:26 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Ragnahawk wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Ragnahawk wrote:

Well this thread is about home builders, not shop environments. Most home builders are not going to buy an air compressor for a once a year cleaning, nor should they because the cost is not economic, unless they already own an air compressor and low blow attachment for other purposes. A can of air will do just as well and only costs about 4 bucks, assuming one follows the directions and common sense. If you want to have a tit-for-tat contrary d**k measuring argument over computers lets do it over something more important than what type of air should be used to clean it with, such as Intel vs AMD or overclocking or any number of debates that are much more important than air.

I'm not being critical or trying to impress anybody. When I gather information I understand things from a multiple possibility perspective. I habitually provide all of the information I usually need to other people even if it is unnecessary. My ego, D*** size sucks A** and I would lose all of those confrontations before they even begin. Sorry if I am being too efficient in information. I'll climb off my pedestal and stop doing that.
(offends reader. gets offended. goes back to what they were doing.) :mrgreen:

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 6:45 pm

Canned air does contain moisture, but it really doesn't matter. You're only going to use it when the computer is off, and the moisture only comes out if the can is held the wrong way. Plus even if it does let out some, it generally evaporates so quickly that even if you never wiped it off it would be gone by the time you plugged it back in.

Blower vacs exist but are so expensive that it would take several decades to see a return on the price saved on cans of air, unless you need it as part of your job.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 7:04 pm

Ragnahawk wrote:
I'm not being critical or trying to impress anybody. When I gather information I understand things from a multiple possibility perspective. I habitually provide all of the information I usually need to other people even if it is unnecessary. My ego, D*** size sucks A** and I would lose all of those confrontations before they even begin. Sorry if I am being too efficient in information. I'll climb off my pedestal and stop doing that.
(offends reader. gets offended. goes back to what they were doing.) :mrgreen:

I apologize, for a second I thought you were pseudo-trolling, or trying to be contrary just to be contrary. I see that's not the case, now, so again I'm sorry for misinterpreting the conversation.