Is it unusal for me to have these interests at my age?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 1:07 pm

Do you think it is unusual for me to be into history, watch a lot of documentaries, like 70's, 80's and 90's music, and vintage tech? Because I don't see kids my age who are crazed about it like me.

With all curiosity,

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 29, 2017)

samuraivader
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Sep 2017, 1:20 pm

We're AS, we are usually different to people of our age.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 2:09 pm

Nah, its not unusual. Many people of various ages feel an aversion to contemporary stuff. Some listen only to classical music, insisting that all pop culture post-1900 is trash. As for being interested in history, nothing wrong with that either.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 11:05 pm

If it is my cousins are unusual as well.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 3:10 am

Not unusual at all. I for one am greatly fascinated by old technology, especially anything music-related. Reel-to-reel machines, vintage preamps, synths - you name it.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 4:36 pm

I do think it's unusual but there's nothing wrong with being unusual. I think it sounds like a cool interest actually.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 10:20 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
Do you think it is unusual for me to be into history, watch a lot of documentaries, like 70's, 80's and 90's music, and vintage tech? Because I don't see kids my age who are crazed about it like me.

With all curiosity,

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT let anyone make you give up your interests. If I could go back in time and tell my younger self something, I would tell him to stay interested in anime as well as Final Fantasy. I allowed some idiot to tell me what I should be interested in and I lost precious time because of that. He wanted me to play Hitman 2 instead of Final Fantasy games and I couldn't get into that game at all but I didn't know what else to play because Final Fantasy wasn't "cool". He and others who thought like him didn't like anime either and I had South Park, Family Guy, and other stupid crap shoved down my throat. I missed grand oppurtunities to make new friends as well as chart my path with interests I now wish I was better at because of stupid peer pressure.

I know that being ostracized is painful but it's better to be an individual than to follow the crowd because the latter will lead to chronic disappointment. I tried but it never worked out. I'll keep listening to KMFDM instead of Toby Keith and I'll choose Guilty Gear over Call of Duty any day of the week.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 12:20 pm

Marknis wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:

With all curiosity,

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT let anyone make you give up your interests. If I could go back in time and tell my younger self something, I would tell him to stay interested in anime as well as Final Fantasy. I allowed some idiot to tell me what I should be interested in and I lost precious time because of that. He wanted me to play Hitman 2 instead of Final Fantasy games and I couldn't get into that game at all but I didn't know what else to play because Final Fantasy wasn't "cool". He and others who thought like him didn't like anime either and I had South Park, Family Guy, and other stupid crap shoved down my throat. I missed grand oppurtunities to make new friends as well as chart my path with interests I now wish I was better at because of stupid peer pressure.

I know that being ostracized is painful but it's better to be an individual than to follow the crowd because the latter will lead to chronic disappointment. I tried but it never worked out. I'll keep listening to KMFDM instead of Toby Keith and I'll choose Guilty Gear over Call of Duty any day of the week.

Don't worry, I won't let anyone do that, because I am better than that trying to throw away my passions. ;) It was just a question. I wasn't feeling down when I wrote this post if you were wondering that.

samuraivader

02 Oct 2017, 6:14 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
Marknis wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:

With all curiosity,

Don't worry, I won't let anyone do that, because I am better than that trying to throw away my passions. ;) It was just a question. I wasn't feeling down when I wrote this post if you were wondering that.

I think your profile pic can alter the perception.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 4:09 pm

staremaster wrote:
Nah, its not unusual. Many people of various ages feel an aversion to contemporary stuff. Some listen only to classical music, insisting that all pop culture post-1900 is trash. As for being interested in history, nothing wrong with that either.

Before the age of about 22, my attitude to music was pretty much "By a long-dead Austrian or GTFO." (I've mellowed.)

blackpaladin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2017, 9:32 am

Open-minded, not unusual. I'm also 16 and I listen to music from the same times. People that whine about stuff being old and thus not good are stupid, they didn't even give it a try.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 9:59 am

If you enjoy them, you shouldn't care if they're unusual or not. My brother had very different tastes and interests than almost everyone else his age when we were younger. The only thing is that anyone who didn't share his interests was weak, inferior, and stupid. Or at least that's how he acted around me.

Makes me wonder why my brother was never diagnosed with Asperger's but I was. I even once had the audacity to tell him that just he liked something didn't mean everyone else should, too. :)

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

07 Oct 2017, 8:02 pm

Not that weird. I'm upper 20s and I love 30s/40s/50s jazz, for example.

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2017, 8:45 pm

Not unusual, especially right now. There's a nostalgia craze that's been going on for a couple years, it seems. You see shows like Gravity Falls and Stranger Things catering to those interests in teens and young adults, who never experienced the 80's but still have a vague longing for "simpler times." At least, that's how I've interpreted it - similar to cravings for the 50's. It's probably no coincidence that both periods saw America on the verge of investing in new technologies that would vastly shape the following decades (the internet and television). I'd say you have pretty fair odds of finding other people with interests like yours. Maybe you're just not looking in the right channels. You could try out a show like Stranger Things, if you haven't already, and see if you connect with the fans. There are certain to be some nostalgia enthusiasts in that bunch.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 8:52 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
staremaster wrote:

Before the age of about 22, my attitude to music was pretty much "By a long-dead Austrian or GTFO." (I've mellowed.)

Ditto. However, i’ve Changed my tune somewhat (get it. :P ). Nowadays, I follow the advice Duke Ellington gave about “good music”: “If it sounds good, it is good!” Or to quote Peter Schickele’s sign off from his show, Schickele Mix, “It don’t mean a thing, if it don’t have a certain je ne sais quois.”

MarissaKay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2017, 11:23 am

No way! I don't think it's strange at all. I actually used to have inside jokes with my teachers at the age because I was familiar with old movies and TV shows when many of my classmates weren't. One of my history teachers and I constantly made references back and forth to Mel Brooks comedies during class. It was awesome.