Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2017, 3:33 pm

By late 2018, there may be a writing program that applies Artificial Intelligence (AI) that helps (not replaces) the writing process! Again, great writing is more of an art (human efforts) than an (AI-orientated) science.

UC Berkeley Professor Invents Word Processor to Catch Plot Holes in Writing:
http://www.dailycal.org/2017/10/04/uc-b ... g-process/

blackpaladin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2017, 9:29 am

Hell yeah, it's my best talent. Although recently I joined a writing forum and everything suddenly seems no fun - everyone seems better and superior to me, and they keep insisting that writing has rules. Like, I know, we gotta punctuate right and try to spell right but they make a fuss about the weirdest things - writing is an art, why do you have to include all these confusing words and phrases I've never heard of and poke holes into my work?

I don't mean big words when writing, fyi. They're like "oh, no, you can't use that, that's an imperative verb" what the heck is that? Why should it matter? I write what comes to me, and I'm not writing to please you anyway.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 1:02 pm

blackpaladin wrote:
Hell yeah, it's my best talent. Although recently I joined a writing forum and everything suddenly seems no fun - everyone seems better and superior to me, and they keep insisting that writing has rules. Like, I know, we gotta punctuate right and try to spell right but they make a fuss about the weirdest things - writing is an art, why do you have to include all these confusing words and phrases I've never heard of and poke holes into my work?

I don't mean big words when writing, fyi. They're like "oh, no, you can't use that, that's an imperative verb" what the heck is that? Why should it matter? I write what comes to me, and I'm not writing to please you anyway.

It sounds like that forum really sucks the joy out of the art. I belong to a writer's group where we meet face-to-face to share our work, which has proven very enjoyable. I think because we meet in person, social convention dictates much more polite behavior, as opposed to dealing with people on the internet where there is little interest in sparing the feelings of people who hardly seem to exist beyond the computer screen. I know we Aspies have trouble with public gatherings, but I think such a group where you physically meet other writers is preferable. Have you considered looking for a writing group in your community?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 10:45 am

I write, I like to put in my personal feelings and write about my fantasies. Sometimes I find myself doing research which is also the fun part.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 9:52 pm

I think I know the forum blackpaladin is speaking about. It's called Absolute Write and, although I think the critics there have the best of intentions, sometimes it seems to me like they're just trying to sway people to the way they write.

To wit: the phenomenal success of Pulp Fiction. It's a movie where the structure is not like any other Hollywood film. They use dialog that doesn't necessarily further the story, or the acts are presented like this - Act II, then Act III-b, Then Act I, then Act III-a, then Act II-B, etc. Something crazy like that.

Had that film been brought to a site like Absolute Write for a critique, they would've sent a hit squad over to Tarantino's house and execute him once and for all.

In other words, grammar is grammar. That's what Strunk & White, and English teachers, are for. The craft itself? Well, no one has it mastered. Not Stephen King, Isaac Asimov, Ernest Hemingway, nobody.

As a matter of fact, guess what? I believe if you did write a story where all the T's were crossed, all the I's were dotted, and there were no red or blue squiggly lines in your text in Word, then you might just have a drop dead boring example of a story in your hands. I know that that's not what I want to present to the world.

But, I digress. Yes. I like to write.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 10:56 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I think I know the forum blackpaladin is speaking about. It's called Absolute Write and, although I think the critics there have the best of intentions, sometimes it seems to me like they're just trying to sway people to the way they write.

To wit: the phenomenal success of Pulp Fiction. It's a movie where the structure is not like any other Hollywood film. They use dialog that doesn't necessarily further the story, or the acts are presented like this - Act II, then Act III-b, Then Act I, then Act III-a, then Act II-B, etc. Something crazy like that.

Had that film been brought to a site like Absolute Write for a critique, they would've sent a hit squad over to Tarantino's house and execute him once and for all.

In other words, grammar is grammar. That's what Strunk & White, and English teachers, are for. The craft itself? Well, no one has it mastered. Not Stephen King, Isaac Asimov, Ernest Hemingway, nobody.

As a matter of fact, guess what? I believe if you did write a story where all the T's were crossed, all the I's were dotted, and there were no red or blue squiggly lines in your text in Word, then you might just have a drop dead boring example of a story in your hands. I know that that's not what I want to present to the world.

But, I digress. Yes. I like to write.

Very sage advice. 8)

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 11:03 pm

I have a great imagination would love to be able to write a book or something but I just cannot put my thoughts on paper.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 11:50 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
I have a great imagination would love to be able to write a book or something but I just cannot put my thoughts on paper.

Put the thoughts in your head on paper, then assemble and make sense out of them to tell a coherent story.
Just a thought.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 5:00 am

Oh yeah, I love writing! I mostly write fan fiction and publish those in a site meant for stories like that, but am also working on some fictional stories that are entirely mine and I hope to publish at least one of them as a book some day. Being a novelist would probably be nice and I suppose I could say that I'm aiming for it, among other things in my life.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2017, 2:45 pm

Any interest in the metafiction genre?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metafiction

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 8:44 pm

Used to. But now I'm out of practice and I can't keep focused or interested in one idea so I opt to waste my life doing other things.

ms.utopia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2017, 12:31 am

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
Writing is difficult for me. Whenever I try to write something like an essay in my English class or whenever I try to write a story during my freetime, all that I can think about is the frustration of trying to write something as simple as a single sentence. *Sigh* It's hard, believe me...

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on October 4, 2017)

Well, if writing is not your hobby or a routine, it can be hard. Yet, you can practice it. Just to keep in mind, when you write the first time of an essay or anything, it will never be perfect. So don't worry. Just pour your mind and heart into your writing. After that, you can revise it. The more you practice, the better you will be.

Hopefully it can help you.

wachterhector
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Oct 2017, 6:04 am

I write everywhere. Writing helps me to overcome my problems, arrange my thoughts and reveal my feelings. :)

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 4:48 pm

blackpaladin wrote:

I remember reading a great blog post by Ursula le Guin about that problem. When she talked to people who wanted writing advice, many of them were all tied up in knots about stupid "writing rules" propagated in writers' circles. The blind leading the blind, basically. Most of the "rules" were pushed by writers in the group who were also beginners, but arrogant enough to think they knew the One True Way of writing. Yes, writing can always be improved, but not by ticking off a list of check-boxes dictated by some pompous prat who thinks he's Henry James.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 6:20 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
blackpaladin wrote:

I remember reading a great blog post by Ursula le Guin about that problem. When she talked to people who wanted writing advice, many of them were all tied up in knots about stupid "writing rules" propagated in writers' circles. The blind leading the blind, basically. Most of the "rules" were pushed by writers in the group who were also beginners, but arrogant enough to think they knew the One True Way of writing. Yes, writing can always be improved, but not by ticking off a list of check-boxes dictated by some pompous prat who thinks he's Henry James.

:hail: :salut:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 5:22 pm

Yes, absolutely! In fact, I am working on one right now.

Title:

Pieces of Truth

Genre:

Thriller

Plot:

Childhood lovers Brian and Alice drifted apart after witnessing the murder of two friends. Fifteen years later, they unexpectedly reunite in college only to have their renewed relationship interrupted when they begin receiving messages from two people who claim to be their murdered friends.