Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 8:21 pm

Raptor wrote:
Politics and religion are two topics best left out of civil discourse if it's to remain civil.
There is a third - Star Trek.
Looking on relevant forums at discussion about the new Star Trek: Discovery TV show those folks would be right at home here in PPR and some of them would make a lot of our PPR personalities look like wannabe amateurs.

Note: due to effects of autism I don't watch TV and movies, but I still like science fiction and participate as I can how I can.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 8:26 pm

There Are Four Lights!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 10:51 pm

Should be this edgy to post here. Now taking WP ninternship applications. :D

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Michael829
Toucan
Toucan

30 Sep 2017, 2:49 am

Some people seem to write-off the possibility of civility in PPR, because of the subject-matter. I disagree.

I'm not into politics. For one thing, it's entirely hopeless, and only a source of exasperation and disappointment.

When PT Barnum said that there's a sucker born every minute, and when W.C. Fields said, "Never give a sucker an even break", those two great social scientists explained why this societal world is as it is, and will always remain so.

Though I'm religious, I don't debate religion or promote any position about it, because I don't regard religion as a debate subject or promotional subject, or something about which to try to convince people, or something to get contentious about.

But I discuss and debate metaphysics at PPR, at the Physics/Reality discussion-thread. And yes, PPR seems to attract the worst loud, arrogant and bigoted people. You forget that you're at an Asperger's website. Is PPR an NT enclave at WP?

Anyway, my point is that, no matter what kind of people ravage the decorum and debate-integrity at PPR, that doesn't mean that it has to be a free-for-all with no rules and no moderating.

WP's guidelines for conduct say that posts should be about the topic, and should not be about your personal evaluation of someone with whom you disagree. That guideline isn't enforced at PPR, I guess because it's felt that the PPR people are just hopeless. No, I disagree. No matter how hopeless PPR people are, the guidelines can and should be enforced there.

True, you can't change those people, but you can ban them. That's how minimal civility is enforced at a forum.

Then, though we'll still initially have the same aggressive, loud, bigoted and rude population, their number will steadily be reduced, as they get banned. And those bannings will result in others suddenly finding out that the guidelines for conduct are there to be taken seriously.

And those of us who are here because we like philosophy will be able to participate in a PPR that is conducive to discussion, without having to be in the usual ugly NT mud-fight for a change.

Michael829

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 9:21 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Politics and religion are two topics best left out of civil discourse if it's to remain civil.
There is a third - Star Trek.
Looking on relevant forums at discussion about the new Star Trek: Discovery TV show those folks would be right at home here in PPR and some of them would make a lot of our PPR personalities look like wannabe amateurs.

Note: due to effects of autism I don't watch TV and movies, but I still like science fiction and participate as I can how I can.

Star Trek?

I was gonna say "helmet laws".

Bikers get more emotional about that than do gun owners, political partisans, the religious, and the militantly atheist put together! But yeah...in the Trekkie subculture I can imagine that they probably do have sectarian uncivil wars over the theology of Star Trek.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Sep 2017, 9:31 am

So let's talk Abortion! :twisted:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 9:59 am

naturalplastic wrote:
But yeah...in the Trekkie subculture I can imagine that they probably do have sectarian uncivil wars over the theology of Star Trek.
And especially over things like what color was the third hull panel to the left of the dorsal airlock in the eighth scene of the fourth movie.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Sep 2017, 10:08 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
But yeah...in the Trekkie subculture I can imagine that they probably do have sectarian uncivil wars over the theology of Star Trek.
And especially over things like what color was the third hull panel to the left of the dorsal airlock in the eighth scene of the fourth movie.

No, it was the second panel in that movie!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 10:23 am

Second door!?!?!?!

Confess!

To the sin of heresy!

Last edited by naturalplastic on 30 Sep 2017, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Sep 2017, 10:36 am

The Spanish Inquisition never existed! It's all made up by 18 century historians!
Open your eyes, sheeple!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 10:53 am

magz wrote:
The Spanish Inquisition never existed! It's all made up by 18 century historians!
Open your eyes, sheeple!

And anyone who says that it ever existed will be....burned at the stake for heresy! :lol:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Sep 2017, 11:02 am

Let's make burning steaks everywhere!

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 11:21 am

magz wrote:
So let's talk Abortion! :twisted:

YES!! ! :cheers:
Feminazis on one side and wannabe abortion clinic bombers on the other.
Let the fur fly...
:twisted:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 11:34 am

Michael829 wrote:
Some people seem to write-off the possibility of civility in PPR, because of the subject-matter. I disagree.

Possibility is there but with low probability

Quote:
WP's guidelines for conduct say that posts should be about the topic, and should not be about your personal evaluation of someone with whom you disagree. That guideline isn't enforced at PPR, I guess because it's felt that the PPR people are just hopeless. No, I disagree. No matter how hopeless PPR people are, the guidelines can and should be enforced there.

Even mods have said that PPR is challenging to moderate. I've also observed over the years here what appears to be biased moderation.

Quote:
True, you can't change those people, but you can ban them. That's how minimal civility is enforced at a forum.

Banning does not mean executing someone. An IP block is easy to get around for anyone who knows how the internet works. I've done it a few times a long time ago with other forums and the more difficult part was creating and sticking to an entirely different persona as not to be detected as a banned member. Of course you can also do the opposite and make sure they know their ban on you was ineffective just to tease them. :twisted:

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 11:56 am

I've frequented some political forums in the past that make what goes on here seem like a tea party. WP is pretty tame by my standards. Ah, the tales I could tell!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Michael829
Toucan
Toucan

30 Sep 2017, 12:43 pm

Sure, I've been at meaner forums too. But WP is different, and I didn't expect to find the usual NT mud-pit at a forum here.

I've had my life threatened by a moderator at a Spiritual forum.

Has anyone had the ScienceForums experience? Not recommended. :o :D

Michael829