Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 4:25 pm

Today
How the Church Failed Our Family Because of My Child's Disability
by Beyond Our Spectrum Contributor
https://themighty.com/2017/09/church-fails-families-with-disabilities/

Quote:
"I can handle knowing that our family is not-so-secretly judged for not attending church because our family is already judged enough for the behaviors our autistic son displays when out in public. Instead of handing out a card to explain what autism is or waste my breath by telling the people with “the look” why my son is behaving a certain way, I now really just want to ask where they go to church. I imagine that question would be answered with a confused look, then I would state, “I know to never attend there.”

I write this because I have had this on my heart for some time andI believe it is important to get this message out. I know I am not alone in this experience. I also know this is by no means represents of all churches and some do include children and families like ours well.

Remember to reach out to people and invite them to go to church, go to the park, a birthday party, etc. A family with kids with disabilities may not always be able to make it, but the invite itself means more than you may ever know."

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 1:09 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Today
Quote:
"I can handle knowing that our family is not-so-secretly judged for not attending church because our family is already judged enough for the behaviors our autistic son displays when out in public. Instead of handing out a card to explain what autism is or waste my breath by telling the people with “the look” why my son is behaving a certain way, I now really just want to ask where they go to church. I imagine that question would be answered with a confused look, then I would state, “I know to never attend there.”

I write this because I have had this on my heart for some time andI believe it is important to get this message out. I know I am not alone in this experience. I also know this is by no means represents of all churches and some do include children and families like ours well.

Remember to reach out to people and invite them to go to church, go to the park, a birthday party, etc. A family with kids with disabilities may not always be able to make it, but the invite itself means more than you may ever know."

If this lady wants a church that will come knocking on her door when she doesn't show up, that would probably be scientology. But I would no trust scientologists not to harm a child on the spectrum.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 6:46 pm

Chronos wrote:
kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Today
Quote:

If this lady wants a church that will come knocking on her door when she doesn't show up, that would probably be scientology. But I would no trust scientologists not to harm a child on the spectrum.

I think we need to discuss your reactive mind. Hiding any engrams in your closet?