Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

owlyellow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Sep 2017, 6:37 pm

It was a phone interview, and speaking on the phone already comes with its challenges for me. It was to get into a specialized program of a field I really want to go into and had a couple of technical/logic type questions to gauge how you think. The way the interviewer talked just made it so hard to tell, and I already have a hard time reading people so I just tend to assume the worst. The admissions advisor had said she'd call with the results before 6pm today, but she didn't... so now I really am assuming the worst I guess, AND I have to wait all weekend until Monday to hear about the results. I want to cry. I scored pretty high on the assessment part when I first applied, so I'm hoping that counts for something, but this interview was kind of personality-oriented and I tend to stumble on those. Also, I feel like I could have answered the questions better and more thoroughly if they had been in front of me (I'm a visual person) rather than told over the phone.

I also recently applied to a job where I had to take an online personality test and totally failed it. The recruiter even actually said that I "looked so good on paper," (meaning my resume) but that the could tell I wouldn't be a good fit from the personality test alone.

I don't know where I'm going with this. I just feel like any time I try to pursue something or better myself and my situation, I have about 53,000 more stumbling blocks plus a brick wall than the average person has and it just sucks.

You are very likely an Aspie

EscapingTheCrowd
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Oct 2017, 3:11 am

Those personality tests can be nonsense. Was it a Myers-Briggs test? Sometimes, you can look up how to pass one of those tests. If you research which organizations are looking for which personality type, you can skew your results so that you get that type. It may feel like cheating, but actually, those tests are not scientific at all, so you should feel no shame in trying to get around them.
I'm sorry you had a bad time with your interview. If you didn't get the job, keep searching! I'm sure there's one out there for you!

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 7:00 am

I will never forget that I was at a second interview at an electrical distributor. It was pretty clear I was going to get an offer. The manager asks me to complete a 'personality test' first. I do it, go home and expect to hear from him soon. I visit him a week later and was told that they have 'decided to go with someone else'.

I wish I knew that it is illegal to discriminate based on personality tests in my province. What's really ironic is that the most successful people in that field ARE introverted males!! Oh well, in hindsight they did me a big favour as I found a much better, higher paying job.