Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASDABCs
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Sep 2017, 7:19 pm

Friendless right now and really sad. I'd say my dream is to have a group of friends who love me. I would be okay with an awful career and no marriage or family if I just had a chill group of friends. However, people avoid me and I've been alone my whole life. :( It's getting to the point where I envision taking my own life, though never in earnest.

Have you achieved friends? How many? A group of friends, even? If so, how?

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2017, 7:38 pm

I suggest going to Aspie meetups, not just one but as many as you can find and keep going even if you don't feel like it works out at first. Try meeting and talking with as many as possible, sooner or later you'll meet people who share similar ideas and interests with you. This is what I did :) And be patient, don't expect everyone to become you're friend all at once, don't give up, give it time and it will happen :)

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 7:44 pm

Only one now. I'm trying to make a new one this week with someone I work with. She is married and has kids though. We're doing something mandatory for work then going to dinner. I cut Julia off so that leaves just Mary.

I have made 3 new guy enemies who I'm sure would kill me if they could get away with it. It has to do with the HOA Board and one is on the Board and they are all neighbors. Let's just say I'm turning on my house alarm every night now and my guns are loaded for bear. A- holes.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

icechai
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2017, 8:43 pm

I have achieved one official friend, who is also my fiance. I met him 12 years ago at a summer job. I approached him as he was the most adorable person I had ever seen, and introduced myself. He is still very adorable in demeanor and appearance.

0 success with female friends as I get rejected, treated as annoying when I reach out, or talked down to, or they talk behind my back

0 success with male friends, as I get treated like a walking rotisserie chicken with multiple holes for... nevermind

so, there ya go. I keep busy by teaching my self yoga, going on nature walks, working out, uhh anime, going to the spa, going on random long drives with music, random adventures. I don't need NTs really, except for le money (job)

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 8:52 pm

I don't have many real-life friends, and the ones I do have I never see anymore. I have my online friends, and that's good enough for me.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Sep 2017, 5:19 am

I have some, almost all are nerds. I feel rather insecure outside our little nerdy community, I consider myself really lucky to have it.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 4:02 pm

They say like attracts like, and what you put out you return. It seems I'm just not confident enough to make friends because I'm too fearful to be rejected. That hesitance I think makes people hesitant to talk to me. I'm too insecure and you need self-certainty, I believe, to make friends and get in a relationship. At the moment I don't have that but in time I hope I can.

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Oct 2017, 5:20 pm

I think the process of becoming friends or rather doing an activity together with someone is more important than actually being friends. How do you know someone is you're friend anyways? And at what point does someone become you're friend?

If you have something in common with someone and you both spend time together on a hobby or topic of discussion etc. over a period of time and you both gain something from it then that is what's important. Then you probably have met a friend. And the more time you spend with that person the better friends you are I would assume.

There's certain people I spend more time with than other people. I do that because I enjoy it somehow and I guess that is true for the other person as well.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 5:53 pm

I have a handful of friends that I can only cope with in small doses.

I befriend quirky lonely people or rather they befriend me because I'm actually nice to them whereas others just ignore them because they find my friends oddness too much.

Sometimes I don't even know if I like them. But they are good and kind people. I just feel like they don't understand me. I feel like no one really understands me.

I wish I was less analytical and had the ability to see sunshine and happiness everywhere. But I over analyse things and can't take sweeping statements at face value the way other people can. I'm viewed as negative and argumentative. I have learned to keep my mouth shut most of the time.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 10:09 pm

I have a best friend and a closest friend. I met the best friend in school and the closest friend in a mental hospital. I tend to get along with girls better.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Oct 2017, 1:42 am

hurtloam wrote:
I'm viewed as negative and argumentative.

Really? Based on your contribution on this forum I found you intelligent, sympathetic and open-minded.
Maybe your body language tends to spoil it? It is hard to understand it otherwise for me.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 1:53 am

magz wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Really? Based on your contribution on this forum I found you intelligent, sympathetic and open-minded.
Maybe your body language tends to spoil it? It is hard to understand it otherwise for me.

Thank you.

We are here because we enjoy discussing things. In a general chit chat situations people don't want a debate they just want pleasant conversation that doesn't run too deep.

My analytical side is not good for when friends are trying to help me. I'm immune to platitudes because I overthink them and they give me no comfort. That's when I'm at my most argumentative because I feel like the other person hasn't taken x, y and z into consideration. All they want to do is help me feel better, but i get more upset because I feel misunderstood.

The friend I have the most arguments with sticks around ... amazingly. She's a good friend. I like her a lot. But ive accidentally hurt her a few times because she feels like I don't value her input and it makes her sad because she just wants to help.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Oct 2017, 2:31 am

hurtloam wrote:
magz wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Thank you.

We are here because we enjoy discussing things. In a general chit chat situations people don't want a debate they just want pleasant conversation that doesn't run too deep.

My analytical side is not good for when friends are trying to help me. I'm immune to platitudes because I overthink them and they give me no comfort. That's when I'm at my most argumentative because I feel like the other person hasn't taken x, y and z into consideration. All they want to do is help me feel better, but i get more upset because I feel misunderstood.

The friend I have the most arguments with sticks around ... amazingly. She's a good friend. I like her a lot. But ive accidentally hurt her a few times because she feels like I don't value her input and it makes her sad because she just wants to help.

Hmm, it reminds me of my habit of pointing out all the inconsistiences in reasoning when someone is explaining their political views to me... thus I've been accused of supporting all the possible parties, always opposite to my interlocutor's view. And then they get hostile.
Just learned to remain silent sometimes.

It's good you have a friend who can value you :)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 6:56 am

Ahhh, I think I still have friends. I kind of neglect my friendships due to a combination of constant exhaustion and a lack of initiative.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2017, 1:29 am

My wife of 27 years is my best friend. After that I have one girl friend I know from work (autism service) who I might call in and see for half an hour every few weeks. I occasionally see, perhaps twice a year for a couple two guys I know from work (autism service) for a curry. That is absolutely it and I don’t want anymore social interaction than that either. Everyone I know has a connection with autism and to be honest it is the main topic or related topic of conversation

BBC: Radio 4

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 2:41 am

i don't have any friends that i'm not dating and that don't live thousands of miles away from me. :(

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.