Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 8:31 pm

For me, the "perpetually in motion" avatars are very distracting and I prefer not to see them, and no doubt others have a variety of personal preferences and dislikes.

Some members will know how to block avatar displays already, however for those that don't, it's simple:

(You may need to have AdBlockPlus on your computer to action this): right click on an avatar and a drop down list comes down - there you can select an option that removes avatars from your screen display when you visit on WP.

PS: I use ABP, so I am not sure if this option also works if you don't have it loaded on your computer. The browser I use is Firefox, so whether the above also works for other browsers I don't know. Perhaps our many savvy computer users here can provide more info on the finer details..

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 8:58 pm

B19 wrote:
For me, the "perpetually in motion" avatars are very distracting

AMEN!! !
And actually create the physical results which come from stress and anxiety - which is part of why there is no television in my home and I don't go see movies.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Oct 2017, 5:38 pm

This does not specifically require ABP or Firefox. It is certainly possible with uBlock Origin (which is an adblocker which will not slow down your browser as much as Adblock or Adblock Pro) and probably most other adblockers.

uBlock Origin uses the same process that B19 outlines. Right click on an avatar and select "block element". A faint menu will appear in the lower right corner of your window. The suggested filter will be something like:

||wrongplanet.net/forums/download/file.php?avatar=111834_1506817769.jpg

Edit this to:

||wrongplanet.net/forums/download/file.php?avatar

This will block all avatars.

You can also insert this line directly into your filter list via the Dashboard. Click on the uBlock logo in the toolbar at the top. Click on the cogs to open the dashboard. Click "my filters" and paste the above onto a new line.

The above process is for Firefox but should be similar in other desktop browsers.

I am unaware of a mobile browser with this level of functionality.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 6:32 am

I'm glad someone posted this, there's one moving avatar especially at the moment makes me irrationally angry just seeing it, and I can't read whatever that person writes because I have to scroll quickly past that avatar.
Not sure about downloading all these "plugin" types though. Does it screw with browser performance or end up blocking things you'd rather see? I know some popup blockers actually block thing you click to "popup" in another window.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Oct 2017, 9:34 am

C2V wrote:
I'm glad someone posted this, there's one moving avatar especially at the moment makes me irrationally angry just seeing it, and I can't read whatever that person writes because I have to scroll quickly past that avatar.
Not sure about downloading all these "plugin" types though. Does it screw with browser performance or end up blocking things you'd rather see? I know some popup blockers actually block thing you click to "popup" in another window.

You can choose what it blocks and turn it off for specific sites.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 4:12 pm

I can't stand moving avatars, they make me nauseous. It's much better not seeing avatars for me.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 6:36 pm

For some strange reason this isn't working for me - I keep getting a nastygram from AdBlock Plus that claims I've tampered with the URL and therefore it won't block anything, so there, :P neener neener neener my mother wears army boots :P.

I said many bad words and then found an add-on for firefox that lets me toggle animated GIFs on and off - and I think that's what it's called, toggle animated GIFs.

This works, as far as I can tell. I'm glad, because I actually enjoy seeing everyone's avatars, but find animations distracting. (Edit in: so thanks for reminding me that I can do something about it! Also, I've tested it now, and the toggling works just dandy for me :-) )

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 5:54 am

There IS a simple low tech solution.

Just lift your hand to the screen and physically cover the avatar while you read what the person posted. :)

I am not THAT allergic to animated avatars, but I do get how they are...cool for about three seconds, and then start to grate on a person.