Five Advantages of Third Person Omniscient POV

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 2:30 am

Just came across this, which was posted in 2011 but is outside of date limits.
It is the view I most frequently employ.

Quote:
Five Advantages of Third Person Omniscient POV

March 31, 2011 / 42 / Writing Craft

To continue my series on the point of point of view lets take a look at the use of the third person omniscient POV. In previous posts we discussed the pros and cons of using the first person, now lets consider the use of third person.

There are multiple types of third person POV including:

Third Person Limited (or Subjective)
Multiple Third Person Limited
Third Person Omniscient

**Note: There’s also Third Person Objective or Dramatic POV. But I’m going to talk about that later in another post.

Were going to focus on the omniscient POV for this post, which is when the author is “God-like” and can see everything that is happening and is no longer limited to the POV of a single character. Some distinct advantages to this type of point-of-view include:

Five Advantages of the 3rd Person Omniscient POV:

http://ingridsundberg.com/2011/03/31/five-advantages-of-third-person-omniscient-pov/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 10:37 pm

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever written any fictional piece that wasn't 3rd person.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 5:04 pm

...Yeah, as far as tbird person ommnesent(Sp??) goes, I knoe?? it's generally stated by college writing teahers " Show, don't tell " , don't have an authorial narrative - But fairly recently I re-read an early " modern " novel, Sinclair Lewis's " Elmer Gantry " - and it was just lousy with tbird-person narragive, telling you where charcters came from and where they went after they left the stage, joking about them...What would an Iowa Statd or Columbia professor say :P?...

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 11:07 pm

...Of course, I am perhaps - Perhaps? - indulging in sour grapes, never mind not going to Columbia or Iowa State, I never got to go to uni at all - Yea - THAT. subject for me again - And maybe i never will :cry: . My attempts to first try, well, they blow up in my face, I cannot get any (non-financial) help in doing so. Some people here lecture me as I Must Apply! With! Absolutely! No! Help! Whatsoever! as to who to contact and what to do - Maybd I won't find any help and I won^t be physically/residentislly up to it either and just wait to die. :cry: Hopd I get right with God enough to go to heaven/ get a favorable next incarnation. I' m really a 19-21 yr old who has nowhere to go and would like to figure it out, just 3 times the age, but, NO ONE WILL HELP. Those f***s in San Francisco lied to me about helping me apply to CCSF - anf I was doing the " humble ", " what I was supposed to do ". :| thing of applying to cc :( :evil: :| .
I have something to say, Kraich, regarding the original subjrct here, 1st-3d person...and its relation to Marvel Comics of the 70s!...that will take this line back to its original subject matter, and justify my making this a reply to you...if I can.

ichgauer"]Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever written any fictional piece that wasn't 3rd person.[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!