What is misogyny? What is misandry?

Page 1 of 18 [ 276 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Sep 2017, 1:56 pm

Is a man who says he likes women for their looks misogynist?
Is a woman saying she looks for an employed man misandrist?

I see these terms used here but don't exactly get what people mean using them.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 2:05 pm

magz wrote:

No, IMO, a misogynist is someone who thinks women should stay barefoot and pregnant, and in the kitchen.

A misandrist, IMO, is someone who thinks ALL men are stupid.

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 2:13 pm

magz wrote:

No, but if he doesn't realize she also has a personality and not only looks or if he thinks her value as a human being depends on her sex appeal he probably is.

magz wrote:

No, but if she bullies or makes fun of unemployed men but not of unemployed women she probably is.

magz wrote:

Different people mean different things. If someone is misogynist they might think every little thing is misandirst but won't think of a lot of misogynist things as misogynist because in their opinion those are facts and not misogynism. If someone is misandist they might think every little thing is misogynist but won't think of a lot of misandrist things as misandirst because in their opinion those are facts and not misandrism.

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2017, 9:02 pm

Misandry means hatred of men.

Misogyny means against misandry.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 9:14 pm

So if a woman wants to actually DO anything other than be a man's sex slave, cook, or maid, she's a misandrist?

I read that in Saudi Arabia women are actually legally allowed to drive now. I guess humanity is doomed because of this. :roll:

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 9:47 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
So if a woman wants to actually DO anything other than be a man's sex slave, cook, or maid, she's a misandrist?

I read that in Saudi Arabia women are actually legally allowed to drive now. I guess humanity is doomed because of this. :roll:

Absolutely not, this is what I want too.

But as far as I remember, I wasted months of my life in the military living in one of the most modern countries in the world, just because I was born male. I don't think cooking and cleaning is that bad compared to being forced to sacrifice my life for women.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 11:08 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

But as far as I remember, I wasted months of my life in the military living in one of the most modern countries in the world, just because I was born male. I don't think cooking and cleaning is that bad compared to being forced to sacrifice my life for women.

Hey, that's right!

Doesn't Sweden have the forced draft?

Even for aspies? Damn, that sucks. I couldn't join legally if I tried due to my diagnoses, not that I'd want to serve under this awful government for their benefit.

Its funny how a lot of people argue Sweden has 'true' gender equality when there massive evidence to The contrary, for both men and women and in more ways than one. I can't find the website where I read all The disadvantages Swedish men face.

wariodude128
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Sep 2017, 11:12 pm

If you believe what the news tells you about Trump, misogyny is making snide remarks about a woman without making apologies about it whatsoever. Even if the remarks were directed to that one woman in particular. Somehow hating that one woman means you automatically hate all women by default. That's what the political left will tell you anyway.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 11:36 pm

Those terms mean whatever the user wants them to mean for as long as they give one an advantage over the other.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 12:11 am

Aaendi wrote:
Misandry means hatred of men.

Misogyny means against misandry.

You are not entirely correct.

Misandry is the hatred of men.

Misogyny is the hatred of women.

They are parallels.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 2:56 am

wariodude128 wrote:
If you believe what the news tells you about Trump, misogyny is making snide remarks about a woman without making apologies about it whatsoever. Even if the remarks were directed to that one woman in particular. Somehow hating that one woman means you automatically hate all women by default. That's what the political left will tell you anyway.

It's a pattern of saying those things. He hasn't just made remarks to or about one woman. It's been several women.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 6:30 am

^^Well hey, when the shoe fits...he may not be the brightest, but neither are many of those in the media who attempt to criticize him, regardless of gender. Mud slinging all around to avoid any actual news coverage. And then they whine they "had to" cover Trump saying one mean, trivial comment instead of something they missed, as if it was a deliberate distraction by him. lol

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 7:04 am

One means hatred of women, the other means hatred of men.

However, the current trend is to call anyone who disagrees with your viewpoint a sexist/racist/homophobe/whatever, so, the actual meanings can get quite muddled.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 7:06 am

Closet Genious wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

I spent 8 years in the military.

I'll take having a choice to do something other than cook and clean over not having the choice any day.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 7:36 am

XFilesGeek wrote:

However, the current trend is to call anyone who disagrees with your viewpoint a sexist/racist/homophobe/whatever, so, the actual meanings can get quite muddled.

Agreed. I have seen comment boards on various news sites during Obama’s presidency, when anybody disagreed with any of his policies, someone would reply with “why do you really hate him?” (implying race). I saw someone get called a misogynist because they criticized Danica Patrick’s performance at Daytona one year.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Oct 2017, 7:47 am

XFilesGeek wrote:

Ethymologically, yes.
But I see nothing hateful about a man believing a woman should clean, cook and raise the children or a woman believing the man should earn the resources. I may disagree, but unless someone is hatefully trying to put me down on my carrier (and nobody tries) there doesn't need to be any hatred in this belief.
My parents live this way and there is nothing close to hatred in their relationship, they live on "different but equal" terms with plenty of mutual respect and support.

And I believe that if we take away the respect and support, there is no ideology that would help.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>