What is misogyny? What is misandry?

Page 16 of 18 [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 7:56 am

magz wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
No it's not, all it proves to me are the biological constants. All western contries show the same tendencies. So there's a difference in culture, but the outcome is pretty much always the same. That there are more women going into STEM in india has nothing to do with cultural expectations, it has to do with economic scarcity. In my country sweden, it's pretty much impossible to be poor, and the pay difference between professions is very small, hence women are more likely to choose jobs with their hearts, which seems to be people oriented jobs. The same holds true in all other wealthy western countries.

I meant some impact, not all the difference. Yes, there is a multi-cultural discrepancy. Then, the culture can do different things with it and have further impact. How are the gilrs in male-dominated fields treated? How are boys in female-dominated proffessions perceived? This can vary and have effects.

Closet Genious wrote:
I completely disagree that boys are restricted in playing with girly toys. I worked in a kindergarten for 2 years after high school, and it was obvious to me that boys are naturally more interested in trains and cars than dolls. It was actually the opposite of what you're saying, in some ways they were restricted in acting like little boys. The kindergarten teachers would step in an stop them when they pretended to be soldiers or pirates, and played out a war scene. They were essentially punished for being boys, I never saw them get punished for playing with a doll. It makes me absolutely furious that boys can't just be allowed to be boys.

You are talking about Sweden. I'm talking about Poland. It is great we can exchange our expiriences.

There is some of what you say here, too - my brother's son was banned from any kind of fighting plays in his kintergarden. They believe in pacifism or something. His parents, on the other hand, encouraged him "it is ok to play fighting as long as the other fighter agrees and you are careful not to actually harm them". Plastic guns and swords are popular but, indeed, only outside the public education. Most parents don't mind.
My cousin's son shows strong interest in princesses and "girly" stuff and his family acts a bit worried about it. The tendency within the family is to gently drive his attention to more gender-neutral activities (You like princesses? Let's build a palace!) But no one (including me) worries about my older daughter's enthusiasm towards Lego Technic.
My younger daughter said, she often goes to play in the boys' corner (with trains and cars and tools). I asked her about it - some girls go to the boys' corner, some boys go to the girls' corner, the segregation is not strict and everyone seems ok with it.

It's a matter of perspective. If we put a mouse in 2 different scenarios, the 2 scenarios produce slightly different outcomes, does the enviroment change the mouse, or does the mouse simply react to a different enviroment? I would say the latter. It's a tiring assumption that social constructs and cultural influence are the root causes for the difference in choices made by males and females, and the evidence for it is quite frankly piss poor. Going further with it alot of people believe culture can change everything, they talk as if it's an established fact, it's completely nonsensical in my opinion. There are some things that will NEVER change, no matter how much we try to manipulate the enviroment.

There were some boys that played with dolls in the institution I worked in, and I didn't have a problem with that at all. But most of them didn't do it for long, not because of stigma, but because they got bored with it pretty quick, where as with legos they could keep playing for hours on end. The boys did not seem aware of dolls being percieved as a girly toy, so the culture arguement again falls flat on it's face imo.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Oct 2017, 8:27 am

Genius, I am as far as possible from all this gender ideology attributing everything to culture and denying any natural differences between sexes.
However, my Korean expirience made me very aware of how much of who we are is culture. Many traits I considered feminine - conformism, hard working, perfection over specialization - I found characteristic to East Asian culture. This made me think it is at least not that simple as I thought before.
I personally believe there are both cultural and physiological factors that count. Maybe some of them are virtually impossible to separate. The outcomes given by Boo and Chronos show lots of similarities but also some substantial differences in a few (probably more naturally-gender-neutral) fields.
And thus I found a question about upbringing different genders interesting. Because what Chronos said about Star Wars is contrary to my expirience, I started to wonder how it looks in different parts of the world - and described my own observations the best I could.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 8:41 am

As already mentioned, gender preference for toys is not a cultural thing, it's innate. Boys like boy's toys because they're boys and girls like girl's toys because they're girls. The colour thing is probably man-made though. Pink being a "girl's colour" is a fairly recent thing, pink used to be a boy's colour.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 8:44 am

magz wrote:
Genius, I am as far as possible from all this gender ideology attributing everything to culture and denying any natural differences between sexes.
However, my Korean expirience made me very aware of how much of who we are is culture. Many traits I considered feminine - conformism, hard working, perfection over specialization - I found characteristic to East Asian culture. This made me think it is at least not that simple as I thought before.
I personally believe there are both cultural and physiological factors that count. Maybe some of them are virtually impossible to separate. The outcomes given by Boo and Chronos show lots of similarities but also some substantial differences in a few (probably more naturally-gender-neutral) fields.
And thus I found a question about upbringing different genders interesting. Because what Chronos said about Star Wars is contrary to my expirience, I started to wonder how it looks in different parts of the world - and described my own observations the best I could.

I know magz, I definitely don't view you as an ideolog or a feminist. I don't know enough about south korea, but from what I've seen, most east asian cultures are very traditional.

Chronos's point about star wars is great. Do boys like star wars because culture dictates it? or did boys just naturally gravitate towards star wars and then it became a cultural norm? It's a chicken or the egg arguement. I'd say boys just naturally like star wars. I don't know that it's possible to use culture to force people to like something or make certain choices.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Oct 2017, 9:10 am

Closet Genious wrote:
I know magz, I definitely don't view you as an ideolog or a feminist. I don't know enough about south korea, but from what I've seen, most east asian cultures are very traditional.

I think you are right in this point. I just found out that some traits seen as feminine here are seen as desired in everybody there.

Closet Genious wrote:
Chronos's point about star wars is great. Do boys like star wars because culture dictates it? or did boys just naturally gravitate towards star wars and then it became a cultural norm? It's a chicken or the egg arguement. I'd say boys just naturally like star wars. I don't know that it's possible to use culture to force people to like something or make certain choices.

Boys always loved horses, cars, fighting, action... I think it is natural, wonder if testosterone level is high even at early age? It would explain this.
But Star Wars do not have a "boys only" label here, or at least my girls didn't read it. Cars do, Tommy the Train Engine doesn't. Firefighter Sam is for everyone. All the girls are still crazy about Frozen, boys seem simply not interested. Moana is more gender neutral but less a hit.
I see significantly less "I don't like it because it's for boys and I'm a girl" than the opposite here.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 9:40 am

Where I live, the only Sci Fi movie that got really popular among women was Avatar.

My gf loves sci fi movies, including superhero movies.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 5:14 pm

^....which further emphasizes what a gender freak I am.....

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 5:15 pm

Oh, and, as a mod, I'd like to thank everyone here for keeping a potentially volatile topic civil.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 2:14 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Here Chronos, these are graduates in sciences from American University Of Beirut, check the gender ratio - is that a common sight where you live? 90% of graduates are lebanese

Start at time 1:01:30

If that is a STEM program, no. That is not a common sight here. If that is a social sciences program, then yes.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 3:11 am

Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Here Chronos, these are graduates in sciences from American University Of Beirut, check the gender ratio - is that a common sight where you live? 90% of graduates are lebanese

Start at time 1:01:30

If that is a STEM program, no. That is not a common sight here. If that is a social sciences program, then yes.

I rechecked and i got the timing wrong, the timing i put started at literature it seems. The video it's too long, so it's hard to check.

Ok, check out this one, as much as I hate beauty contests but I did notice how many of them are engineering students, unfortunately the English version of the page isn't showing their fields, i used google translate:

https://www.lbcgroup.tv/miss-lebanon

First name: Mirai Hanna Barak

Height: 176 cm

Weight: 56 kg

Specialization: Translation, commercial negotiation

-----------------
Eva Moawad

Third name: Eva Karim Issaq Moawad

Height: 169 cm

Weight: 47 kg
Specialization: Internal Engineering

Town: Zgharta

-------------

Third name: Saa Antoun Bustani

Height: 170 cm

Weight: 55 KG
Specialization: Civil Engineering

Town: Akkar

--------------------

Third Name: Darya Jalal Al-Jaridi

Length: 183 cm

Weight: 64.5

Specialization: Mechanical Engineering

--------------------

For the triple name: Carol Maroun Kahwagi

Length: 171 cm

Weight: 53 kg

Specialty: Journalism

--------------------
Name: Amani Elie Gideon

Height: 172 cm

Weight: 52 kg

Specialization: Electrical Engineering and Communications

--------------------

Name: Lucy Yousef Al - Munir

Height: 167 cm

Weight: 53 kg

Specialization: Business Administration
--------------------

Name: Maryam Malik Al Hayek

The age is 20

Height: 178 cm

Weight: 62 kg

Specialization: Internal Engineering

-------------------------

Third name: Marita Michel Nicola

Height: 165 cm

Weight: 52.5 kg

Specialization: Psychology

Town: Ras Baalbek

------------------

First name: Mirai Hanna Barak

Height: 176 cm

Weight: 56 kg

Specialization: Translation, commercial negotiation

------------------------

Third Name: Nevin Nasser Matar

Height: 172 cm

Weight: 57 kg

Specialization: Hospitality Management

-----------------
Third name: Birla Abdo El Helou

Height: 175 cm

Weight: 58 kg

Specialization: Business Administration

-----------------

Third name: Reem Jean Khoury

Height: 166 cm

Weight: 50.5 kg

Specialization: audio visual
-----------------

First Name: Sabine Abdo Najm

Height: 178 cm

Weight: 62 kg

Specialization: Radio TV

----------------

First Name: Yousry Mahmoud Mohsen

Height: 175 cm

Weight: 57 kg

Specialty: Dance

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 3:24 am

Ok, i rechecked; at 1:05:37 / 2:10:41 is the "Masters of Science" - Social sciences are usually not under "Sciences", these are true science, half of them are female it seems.

and these of faculty of medicine:

https://youtu.be/jenZvMer_G0?t=4257

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 4:23 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Ok, i rechecked; at 1:05:37 / 2:10:41 is the "Masters of Science" - Social sciences are usually not under "Sciences", these are true science, half of them are female it seems.

and these of faculty of medicine:

https://youtu.be/jenZvMer_G0?t=4257

Yes, but I don't understand what you are getting at. We are in agreement that more women in the middle east study STEM than women in the U.S. do, percentage wise per program.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 4:29 am

^ It was simply a fix of the wrong video's starting time before.

and checking how far your observations are similar to mine.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 4:44 am

magz wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
Can someone please show me the evidence for this whole "cultural influence" arguement?

Aren't the differences between cultures an argument enough that some influence exists?

I don't know how it looks in the US, never been there. Maybe the toy genderisation is stronger there. What I noticed, having pre-school girl of my own and observing some others:
- Pink is for girls but if a girl picks something blue, yellow or in any other color, it is OK. Boys avoid pink and lilac.
- No problem with girls playing with cars, if little boys show interest in playing with dolls, they are often given teddy bears instead.
- Lots of toddler boys are interested in doll strollers.
- Stuffed animals, bulilding bricks, sandbox toys, sports equipment, "little scientist" sets and most of the toys in general are considered gender neutral. However, boys are more restricted in playing girly things than girls playing with toys for boys.

I wonder how it looks elsewhere.

I liked light pink as a kid :(
As an adult I like cartoons including mlp as the characters are cute and the stories are sweet. People are super judge of men who like it though so I hide it and if I ever get a gf I’ll have to get ride of all my rainbowdash stuff and fox stuff :(

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Oct 2017, 4:48 am

Do the "sciences" include biology? Then the overall ratio would be probably comparable here. But I noticed a funny thing: there were not many girls studying IT at my husband's faculty, maybe 1/15 of all the students. They did well, graduated and then... none of the ended up actually coding. They got to management and designing in IT projects but not to coding.
I know actually coding girls, I do coding myself (but I have no formal IT grade) but the number is even smaller than female IT students.

I remember exactly one incident of sexism in my university life. A young female matematician had to give an invited seminar and one older guy in the audience started giving comments about her skirt and devaluating what she was saying. She got enraged, stopped the seminar, the chairman tried to silence the guy but he wouldn't stop. Then she got furious and left, the guy was asked to leave too and two professors hurried to ask the speaker to finish her lecture.
She did finish, luckily, now everybody could focus on what she was saying and it was interesting.
That guy is notorious for interrupting lectures, he is not a part of the faculty body but we don't want to give up the open doors politics because of one annoying visitor. But that time everybody hated him for ruining an interesting talk and being rude to a guest. This should never happen.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Oct 2017, 4:52 am

sly279 wrote:
I liked light pink as a kid :(
As an adult I like cartoons including mlp as the characters are cute and the stories are sweet. People are super judge of men who like it though so I hide it and if I ever get a gf I’ll have to get ride of all my rainbowdash stuff and fox stuff :(

This is exactly in agreement with my observation: if a girl likes cars and plays a pirate, it is ok. If a boy likes Barbie, he needs to hide it.
My husband said that it is because the women have emancipated (so they can choose how much of the stereotype they personally want to fit) but the men have not.