Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

lottiex
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2017, 6:09 am

Hi, I'm Charlotte and a neurotypical. My cousin has autism so I've known about it from a very young. I've always found it difficult to hear autism or other psychological conditions used as an insult and I get very defensive over stigma's surrounding autism.

I'm on here as I am soon to start my EPQ -an Extended Project Qualification - and I want to have a topic to do with autism. I need to do a lot of research for it so I thought it would be good to see what people who are in close contact with it have to think about various situations. I hope that some people on here would be OK with helping me out if I ever I have a question and I will of course be very respectful.

If anyone has any suggestions for what focus within autism I could do my EPQ on then that would be very helpful.

Thank you

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 6:16 am

I for one am down for giving you a hand with your EPQ. :D

On that same note, welcome to WP. c:

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 6:39 am

Hello Charlotte I am 17 years old and the thought of someone doing an Extended Project Qualification on autism sounds great. It is such an important topic and sadly very misunderstood in many cases.

An area which I think needs a level of focusing on is the topic of autism and empathy. The top Autism researcher in the UK is a man by the name of Simon Baron Cohen. This man claims their is a definite lack of empathy in people with Autism. An assumption which is very harming in ways you can imagine as well as false from experience. It would be very useful and very interesting if someone looked into this topic and perhaps challenged it.

thebelgradebelief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2017, 1:57 pm

Welcome to WP. Good luck with your project.

High school student with Autism and ADHD.
Diagnosed 3/22/18.

Special Interest: The Beatles

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 3:45 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

lottiex
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Oct 2017, 8:47 am

Shahunshah wrote:
Hello Charlotte I am 17 years old and the thought of someone doing an Extended Project Qualification on autism sounds great. It is such an important topic and sadly very misunderstood in many cases.

An area which I think needs a level of focusing on is the topic of autism and empathy. The top Autism researcher in the UK is a man by the name of Simon Baron Cohen. This man claims their is a definite lack of empathy in people with Autism. An assumption which is very harming in ways you can imagine as well as false from experience. It would be very useful and very interesting if someone looked into this topic and perhaps challenged it.

That's a very good idea and definitely one that I will include as a possibility. And the information is very interesting, I will have to look into that thank you.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 9:12 am

Hello - I too think the assumed lack of empathy is a good subject. There is also the assumption that in showing less outward signs of emotion a person has less emotion, I don't understand this reasoning, after all, if people show a lot of emotion they are classed as shallow. It's as if there is a set amount of emotion to show per incident.