Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 11:29 am

I have been thinking about Tron lately, (the orignal Tron from 1982) and it is amazing how the movie used CGI at a time where it was still early in it's infancy. It is also interesting that the film wasn't a huge success at the time, but later on became a cult classic film.

Have any of you watched Tron, and if you have, what are your thoughts on the film?

From the curious poster,

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on October 2, 2017)

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 4:22 pm

I saw it. I still don’t understand it, after 35 years. E. T., on the other hand...

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 7:57 am

I saw it and loved it. I don't think I am misspeaking when I say when they made it, they had to use about every computer animation company in the business at that time. It was state of the art, and though it is not Jurassic park, everything starts somewhere, and it was really so cool. I liked how the different computer graphic places had their own strengths and approach. It was a time when hardware and software engineers were still working things out, inventing. Pixar was maybe a couple years old, but did not take part. Anyway, it is one of my favorite movies (I have a lot). I remember enjoying little things like how they incorporated the parts of a computer into the dialog and plot. I knew about computer hardware (a bit) and the movie tickled those parts of my brain. I have not watched in in while. When our library got the tape, I remember watching it dozens of times. I have the DVD now.

I think it was the first movie to take place inside of a computer. The Matrix would take place inside of a simulation. Tron took place inside the computer itself. It just occurred to me. What if the computer that is Tron were also running the simulation that was the Matrix? In Tron, the characters are programs, except for Flynn. He is the programmer, a god of sorts.

I even liked the title which is explained in the movie as being a program that would watch over the computer. In real life TRON was a BASIC command for turning on debugging. TRacer ON and TRacer OFF. Maybe Tron Legacy should have been called TROFF? Now I'm getting nostalgic. line numbers. compilers. kilobytes of memory.

The music by Wendy Carlos is simply beautiful. I've always thought it was very sad and longing.

The movie also contains moments that bug me, snippets of dialog and acting that just didn't seem organic to me. Still nothing is perfect, but that does not mean it isn't fun and enjoyable in other ways.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 5:01 pm

Yes, saw it at the time in a cinema. The film interests me a lot.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 5:02 pm

THX 1138 - anyone seen that?

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 4:47 am

Yep, and the 2010 sequel. I'm sure it look futuristic and advanced back in 1982.

Haven't seen THX 1138.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 5:00 am

The original film actually had the better villain SARK played very well by David Warner as well as the MCP. TRON: Legacy felt like a big missed opportunity having a great actor like Cillian Murphy only cameo as Dillinger's son on the board.

The main thing I appreciate from the film is Carlos' work to deliver a bold synth score.

and...... that really was a big door.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 5:07 am

I saw Tron in the theater as a kid. It blew my mind. I watched it later on HBO with the same effect. The Mall of Abilene had the arcade game, and I played it whenever I had the chance. I didn't watch the remake to preserve the feeling of the original

Alexanderplatz wrote:
THX 1138 - anyone seen that?

Yes. Completely different in every way, but also a great movie. My drama teacher showed us that and Eraserhead, swearing us to secrecy.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 9:08 am

There is also a video on the making of Tron.