Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 4:47 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
SH90 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
I assume not.

Why not or is it that no guns are okay?

Quote:
We can't stop getting bogged down in technicalities, because that's the tactic of gun nuts. They have no plan

Lol, so basically no conversation... I am just trying to figure out if your are okay with some guns or do you just want them eliminated from our society. Basically, where do you think the problem lies?

Last edited by SH90 on 05 Oct 2017, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 4:49 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
SH90 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
I assume not.

Quote:
We can't stop getting bogged down in technicalities, because that's the tactic of gun nuts. They have no plan

Still haven't found an example in these forums of when the antis have had a valid argument, eh? Well, bless your heart for trying.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 4:52 pm

Chichikov wrote:
There's an even bigger problem when people pass stories on not realising they are satire. I think Trump has a phrase for it.....

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/b ... round-the-

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 5:08 pm

Trump's turnabouts on gun control - follow the money

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41478293

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 5:34 pm

I was just nixing the rifle modification argument because yeah, that modification is functionally illegal. I also still must say it's in poor taste to prioritize any machine over people's needs in discussing these subjects. I'm just wondering how many people could be lost before we see these things as coalescing into war.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 6:00 pm

cberg wrote:
I also still must say it's in poor taste to prioritize any machine over people's needs in discussing these subjects.

And I'd agree with you IF we were talking about "machines" that are capable of acting on their own. We're not though, and to argue that these "machines" or law abiding owners of said "machines" are in any way responsible for anything can only be out of ignorance (correctable), stupidity (usually not correctable), or pushing a rather dark agenda.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 3:58 pm

A poet's view:

America Is A Gun

England is a cup of tea.
France, a wheel of ripened brie.
Greece, a short, squat olive tree.
America is a gun.

Brazil is football on the sand.
Argentina, Maradona's hand.
Germany, an oompah band.
America is a gun.

Holland is a wooden shoe.
Hungary, a goulash stew.
Australia, a kangaroo.
America is a gun.

Japan is a thermal spring.
Scotland is a highland fling.
Oh, better to be anything
than America as a gun.”

― Brian Bilston
tags: country, nation, patriotism, representation

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/776727 ... cup-of-tea

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 11:51 am

Archie Bunker was ahead of his time

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 12:14 pm

Raptor wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
SH90 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
I assume not.

Quote:

Still haven't found an example in these forums of when the antis have had a valid argument, eh? Well, bless your heart for trying.

When the second amendment was written guns had 1 bullet, people don't need unlimited access to automatic assault rifles or the ability to buy 33 of them over a short period of time no questions asked. That said I am not 'anti-gun' I don't think they should ban all guns but I also don't think any jack-off should be able to purchase a high power assault rifle...I think for that one should have to undergo proper training in using it and safety and only be licenced to own one if they pass that, have it registered, certainly undergo a background check and there should be a limit on how many you can buy, like attempting to purchase 33 should be a red flag that raises questions.

What exactly is it the pro gun people want, no regulations? are current regulations seen as unreasonable? Do regulations people propose seem unreasonable...what regulations does the Pro gun/NRA crowd suggest?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 1:17 pm

So Raptor is just going to semantically dance around the issue at hand here until when? When someone actually shoots up the ____? Deadly force can't outweigh human lives, that's just not how ethics work.

I'm plenty informed on this, I know how to safely handle guns & frankly I'm repulsed by the disrespectful drivel coming from 'enthusiasts'. We all know how you feel about this, hence this deny/counteraccuse broken record pattern that's going on.

We are not talking about your arsenal, we are discussing inherent human dignity. I agree with Sweetleaf in that absolute controls of firearms would practically be asking for a civil war, but it's indignant and/or fearful gun owners demanding the means to start it themselves.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 4:30 pm

cberg wrote:
So Raptor is just going to semantically dance around the issue at hand here until when? When someone actually shoots up the ____? Deadly force can't outweigh human lives, that's just not how ethics work .

I'm plenty informed on this, I know how to safely handle guns & frankly I'm repulsed by the disrespectful drivel coming from 'enthusiasts'. We all know how you feel about this, hence this deny/counteraccuse broken record pattern that's going on.

We are not talking about your arsenal, we are discussing inherent human dignity. I agree with Sweetleaf in that absolute controls of firearms would practically be asking for a civil war, but it's indignant and/or fearful gun owners demanding the means to start it themselves.

If I wasn’t clear enough before, I can’t be shamed into silence. Ever since I was old enough to form sentences they’ve been trying to shame me into silence but it’s never worked, just made me louder and more callous. Keep trying, though, because it’s really amusing me.

You’re not trying out anything new here. Anything that’s been used in this thread has been used in several other threads on the topic of gun control and to this day you people still haven’t brought a valid argument to the table.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 4:33 pm

Dopamine hits leading to behavioural addiction? Denial of gun addiction? If the hallmark of addiction is denial, then gun addiction and gun hoarding may be a significant example of it...

http://ordinary-gentlemen.com/2013/01/0 ... anonymous/

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 4:40 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
When the second amendment was written guns had 1 bullet,…

1) The constitution was ratified by wise and generally well educated men who had seen technology evolve just in their own lifetimes so I think it’s safe to say they knew firearms would evolve beyond what they were at the time.

2) Then let’s hold the first amendment to the same standard. All communication must be by only spoken and written on paper word. No internet, no phones, no TV, etc…
Quote:
…people don't need unlimited access to automatic assault rifles or the ability to buy 33 of them over a short period of time no questions asked.

They never have had unlimited access to automatic assault rifles in any quantity.
Quote:
That said I am not 'anti-gun' I don't think they should ban all guns but I also don't think any jack-off should be able to purchase a high power assault rifle...

You seem to have become more anti-gun since last November.
Hmmm…..:chin:
Quote:
..I think for that one should have to undergo proper training in using it and safety and only be licensed to own one if they pass that, have it registered,…

So these mass shootings are a matter of safety now? This most recent case with 58 dead and 489 wounded was due to several hundreds of negligent discharges that just happened to occur when the rifle or rifles were pointed in the direction of that concert?
Quote:
…certainly undergo a background check and there should be a limit on how many you can buy, like attempting to purchase 33 should be a red flag that raises questions.

There already is a criminal background check, it’s called NICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System) and it’s been in use for a long time.

Quote:
What exactly is it the pro gun people want, no regulations? are current regulations seen as unreasonable? Do regulations people propose seem unreasonable...what regulations does the Pro gun/NRA crowd suggest?

We have the current current regulations., but above you say we need more. I’ve pointed out time and again at least since Sandy Hook that what has driven the mass sales of those “high powered assault rifles” is attempts to ban or further regulate them. But hey, let’s go ahead and have another big banning and/or regulating push so we can have millions more “high powered assault rifles” out there.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 4:52 pm

I think women who hoard cats in extreme ways, hundreds in their home, are correctly diagnosed as suffering from a pathological condition. But cats can't be used to shoot people.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 3:33 pm

B19 wrote:
I think women who hoard cats in extreme ways, hundreds in their home, are correctly diagnosed as suffering from a pathological condition. But cats can't be used to shoot people.

The key word there is "used" as in someone has to use them since they ( guns) cannot act on thier own.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 4:05 pm

B19 wrote:

A gun which throws cats could be dangerous.