White House: "Now Isn't The Time To Talk About Gun Control"

Page 3 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 1:12 pm

SH90 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Guns better suited to killing lots of people, if you prefer. Let's ban those.

I hope you realize that there is a valid sporting purpose for these "evil" rifles... Anything can be used to kill lots of people. Should we ban fertilizer, airplanes, or even trucks?

Don't you start. Fertilizer now contains coded microparticles which allow us to trace each batch. Trucks took people by surprise, but we've gotten a lot better at defending against them using other trucks and concrete blocks.

We've had guns capable of killing any animal for quite some time. People collect guns which primarily kill people. The second should stop. Fetishize fake infantry weapons. You can take them home and do whatever you want with them.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 1:18 pm

leejosepho wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Plates provide a useful analogy, perhaps. People will take more food, if they have bigger plates...

That might not be effective with everyone since food can still be piled high on a small plate, but I do think there is some reasonable logic there...and I agree here:

Quote:
"Now...is a time to reflect on what has happened and how we can work constructively on what can be done to curb the impact of these evil, deranged attackers."

"The ATF must re-evaluate these devices, and it is my hope that they conclude these mechanisms violate the spirit, if not the letter, of the law..."

House GOP members write ATF asking for review of bump stocks

leejosepho wrote:
Please note: The above is about "what can be done to curb the impact" of this type of criminal usage of guns and not how to keep guns out of people's hands.

Someone who shows no signs of having a problem, then, can get any kind of gun they want?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 1:32 pm

leejosepho wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Plates provide a useful analogy, perhaps. People will take more food, if they have bigger plates...

That might not be effective with everyone since food can still be piled high on a small plate, but I do think there is some reasonable logic there...and I agree here:

Quote:
"Now...is a time to reflect on what has happened and how we can work constructively on what can be done to curb the impact of these evil, deranged attackers."

"The ATF must re-evaluate these devices, and it is my hope that they conclude these mechanisms violate the spirit, if not the letter, of the law..."

House GOP members write ATF asking for review of bump stocks

Please note: The above is about "what can be done to curb the impact" of this type of criminal usage of guns and not how to keep guns out of people's hands.

They are attempting to offer up a sacrificial lamb when they probably don't even need to. I think bump stocks are idiotic but I don't support banning them.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 1:42 pm

I happen to own a Clinton "Assault" Weapons ban era (Bushmaster) AR15... It didn't outlaw them, you could still buy them and pre-bans where grandfathered in. It more or less limited what features the sporting rifle could be sold with.

Fixed stock, wasn't allowed a telescoping stock in this combination.

No bayonet lug, wasn't allowed in this combination.

New mags where limited to 10 rounds, but you can still own standard capacity pre-bans (grandfathered in).
Pre-Ban standard capacity mag next to a Clinton era 10 round mag.

Pre-Ban standard capacity mag.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:01 pm

OK can we please stop drowning in technicalities? Automatic weapons all do the same thing regardless of inertia or springs reactivating the firing pins. I don't care about your guns other than to point out they make their owners look weak-minded to me.

This country fetishized the means to kill indiscriminately. I'm not saying gun ownership equals guilt by association but there's no denying the nasty precedent set by gun enthusiasts. This was already politicized because killing is illegal. I'm not interested in weak semantic excuses from anyone who derives their self worth from their mechanized ability to blow my head off.

Fact: buying more guns is not going to make anyone safer. Centering dialogue on weapons recuses arms bearers from any respectful dialogue on the preservation of any life. Anyone with range safety knowledge knows it's a filthy mistake to even point a locked firearm at a person. Superman is not real, there is no humanly possible tactic to dodge bullets and the ability to fire more does absolutely nothing to protect people, if anything it's just asking for another civil war.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:22 pm

cberg wrote:
OK can we please stop drowning in technicalities?

Another plea to stop bringing facts to a debate. Do you do this with other subjects or just the ones about icky things like guns?

Quote:
I'm not saying gun ownership equals guilt by association but there's no denying the nasty precedent set by gun enthusiasts.

Meaning what?

Quote:
Fact: buying more guns is not going to make anyone safer. Centering dialogue on weapons recuses arms bearers from any respectful dialogue on the preservation of any life. Anyone with range safety knowledge knows it's a filthy mistake to even point a locked firearm at a person. Superman is not real, there is no humanly possible tactic to dodge bullets and the ability to fire more does absolutely nothing to protect people, if anything it's just asking for another civil war.

I don't even know where to start with this one. Hell, I'm not even sure what you're trying to say.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:27 pm

I stopped reading after automatic guns... I called up my local FFL, asking if I could purchase a new automatic AR15 and he laughed at me :cry:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:43 pm

SH90 wrote:
I stopped reading after automatic guns... I called up my local FFL, asking if I could purchase a new automatic AR15 and he laughed at me :cry:

Yeah, they get all indignant when we bring facts into their emotion based discussions. Another thing I've seen is accusing us of having poor taste or being insensitive as an attempt to silence opposition. I've been brashly intensive since I was a little kid so I just chuckle at that and continue on.

If you get bored sometime just type "gunz-r-bad" into the search box here and read some of the many debates we've had over the years that I've been here. I've intentionally included "gunz-r-bad" not only to mock the anti's but to use as a search word when I want to go back and find those threads just for laughs.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:46 pm

We can't stop getting bogged down in technicalities, because that's the tactic of gun nuts. They have no plan, except to increase the power and availability of guns. They claim to want to do something, but never propose it. They put it off, or try to bog everyone down in technicalities. Oh, this, that, and the other make it absolutely necessary for everyone to have access to guns designed to injure or kill large numbers of people. It's tragic, really, but unavoidable.

Fanatics don't tire.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:53 pm

Raptor wrote:
SH90 wrote:

Yeah, they get all indignant when we bring facts into their emotion based discussions. Another thing I've seen is accusing us of having poor taste or being insensitive as an attempt to silence opposition. I've been brashly intensive since I was a little kid so I just chuckle at that and continue on.

If you get bored sometime just type "gunz-r-bad" into the search box here and read some of the many debates we've had over the years that I've been here. I've intentionally included "gunz-r-bad" not only to mock the anti's but to use as a search word when I want to go back and find those threads just for laughs.

Surprisingly large number of hits for such a small forum.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:56 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
We can't stop getting bogged down in technicalities, because that's the tactic of gun nuts. They have no plan, except to increase the power and availability of guns. They claim to want to do something, but never propose it. They put it off, or try to bog everyone down in technicalities. Oh, this, that, and the other make it absolutely necessary for everyone to have access to guns designed to injure or kill large numbers of people. It's tragic, really, but unavoidable.

Fanatics don't tire.

So go back and find one thread in this forum or PPR where an anti-gunner has made a **valid** argument in favor of gun control. I double-dog dare ya.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 3:52 pm

Is it okay if I have this old rusty rifle?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 4:20 pm

SH90 wrote:

Is it okay if I have this old rusty rifle?

I assume not.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 4:27 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I assume not.

Why not or is it that no guns are okay?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 4:44 pm

SH90 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
I assume not.

Quote:
We can't stop getting bogged down in technicalities, because that's the tactic of gun nuts. They have no plan

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 4:47 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
SH90 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
I assume not.

Quote:
We can't stop getting bogged down in technicalities, because that's the tactic of gun nuts. They have no plan

Lol, so basically no conversation... I am just trying to figure out if your are okay with some guns or do you just want them eliminated from our society. Basically, where do you think the problem lies?

Last edited by SH90 on 05 Oct 2017, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.