Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 2:06 pm

Can't read Washington Post, because I don't want to pay... But I am sure they are talking about H.R.3668 - SHARE Act.

Direct link to the bill.

Suppressor-friendly SHARE Act passes committee, heads to House floor

Silencer... :roll:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 12:50 am

SH90 wrote:

That's nothing compared to what I've seen in that other thread where an AR-15 is a Weapon of Mass Destruction or even "high powered" according to some. I do hope suppressors become easier to obtain, though.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 12:53 am

Raptor wrote:
SH90 wrote:

That's nothing compared to what I've seen in that other thread where an AR-15 is a Weapon of Mass Destruction or even "high powered" according to some. I do hope suppressors become easier to obtain, though.

I would like a refund on some those $200 tax stamps :wall:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 12:59 am

SH90 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
SH90 wrote:

I would like a refund on some those $200 tax stamps :wall:

I wouldn't spend $200 on a tax stamp for something that amounts to little more than a can with baffles in it.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 1:09 am

Raptor wrote:
I wouldn't spend $200 on a tax stamp for something that amounts to little more than a can with baffles in it.

But I has to have them! $200 was only chump change really, only a slight annoyance... The really hard part is the long processing times for the ATF to go through the paperwork/background. Currently it takes about a year, for something I already paid for and can't take home. You get finger printed, photoed, and you have to notify the chief law enforcement officer (I chose highway patrol).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 10:54 pm

they can't outlaw a disposable plastic bottle being modified for use as a [single use] silencer. that is a weakness in the existing law.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 11:36 pm

^ Regulating and slapping a $200 tax stamp on suppressors was BS to begin with. What do you propose, regulating plastic bottles?
:roll:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 1:08 am

it is plain that my meaning was, IF the goal is to prevent circumvention of laws regarding concealment of muzzle reports, that different regulations regarding BEHAVIORS [rather than specific equipment bans or regulations] of gun users will have to come into play, somehow. this merges into the "spirit of the law" more than anything else.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 2:48 pm

I'd like to point out that suppresors do not make guns completely silent. They only cut the report from a gun by about 30db or so. They can make subsonic ammo to tolehigy all rable levels, but nearly all rifle ammo will have a muzzle velocity in excess of 1300 FPS, which means that not only do you get the sound of the ammo itself, but you get a louder sound from the sonic boom the bullet makes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 10:53 pm

it seems that, should silencers become common, sonic triangulation equipment would be rendered useless, what with larger caliber subsonic rounds coming into more frequent use by malicious shooters.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 11:37 pm

auntblabby wrote:
it is plain that my meaning was, IF the goal is to prevent circumvention of laws regarding concealment of muzzle reports, that different regulations regarding BEHAVIORS [rather than specific equipment bans or regulations] of gun users will have to come into play, somehow. this merges into the "spirit of the law" more than anything else.

Oh I got your meaning, but "regulating behaviors" over something so petty is going to be like herding cats and accomplish little to nothing...

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 12:16 am

Fogman wrote:
I'd like to point out that suppresors do not make guns completely silent. They only cut the report from a gun by about 30db or so. They can make subsonic ammo to tolehigy all rable levels, but nearly all rifle ammo will have a muzzle velocity in excess of 1300 FPS, which means that not only do you get the sound of the ammo itself, but you get a louder sound from the sonic boom the bullet makes.

There there now, don't upset them with details and facts. :P

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 7:14 am

Raptor wrote:
Fogman wrote:

There there now, don't upset them with details and facts. :P

F**k them if they can't handle a fact. :twisted:

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 6:18 pm

auntblabby wrote:
they can't outlaw a disposable plastic bottle being modified for use as a [single use] silencer. that is a weakness in the existing law.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OluOJnW_Ks

Funny enough, unless he filled out a form 1 and applied for his stamp on that single use suppressor. He would be violating the law... If he doesn't have the paper work with the stamp, he is committing a felony.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 6:41 pm

Nothing to do with the legislation, but after reading up on noise suppressors, why the hell are they using metal parts for them? Metal has among the worse sound dampening qualities of any substance. The entire tech is based on sound chamber isolation (a bunch of tiny compartments where the sound bounces around before it loses velocity), which is what they use in high quality sound proof rooms and some music studios. The difference is that in both of those locations, the sound proofing design (chamber isolation) is actually very minor compared to the MATERIAL used (in sound studios foam/fiberglass, and ceramics stages/sound proof rooms). Foam absorbs vibration, the necessary component of sound, whereas metals reflect and thus amplify it. It makes absolutely no sense from an acoustic standpoint, in fact it sounds like they barely do anything.