Why does coffee smell so good, but taste so awful?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 6:51 pm

Well that really depends on the coffee, I don't like awful tasting coffee. Especially since I don't like to put cream, sugar and such in my coffee so it has to taste good by itself.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 10:34 am

I read something the other day that people with a history of middle ear infections may have a hypersensitivity to bitterness or flavors in general. Maybe this explains why I seem less tolerant of bitter foods for someone my age.

When you get older, your taste buds are less sensitive than when you're a kid, and that's why you sometimes end up liking certain foods you used to hate. Of course, everyone thinks it's because your tastes have "matured". Yeah, right. :roll:

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 8:20 pm

I think it's an acquired taste. I didn't start liking black coffee until I was older, but I always loved coffee with lots of sugar and cream. And yes, the quality of the coffee helps, as well. Starbucks coffee for example always leaves a bitter, burnt aftertaste no matter what I buy there.

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2017, 7:02 pm

Yeah, well that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Oct 2017, 10:30 pm

I've seen coffee nut M&Ms at RiteAid but I'm afraid to try em since I don't drink coffee unless someone like my girlfriend tells me how they taste & if she thinks I'll like em but she's not really interested in trying them either.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 10:36 pm

I have a very hard time stomaching coffee, no matter how much I sweeten it. I prefer black tea with Whole Earth sweetener, or Whole Pea as I like to call it.

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Oct 2017, 1:24 am

I find sugar always ruins the taste, it's so sweet your masking the coffee. I have milk or cream only, you can taste the coffee but not the bitterness.

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2017, 11:44 am

NewTime wrote:
Why does coffee smell so good, but taste so awful?

It probably is one or all of these things

1. you've only tried crappy coffee
2. you've only tried the wrong type of coffee (for example you've only tried black coffee when you might like sweetened coffee or an espresso)
3. you're senses are hypersensitive.

The third one is definitely a possibility, hypersensitivity is a symptom of ASD. So the bitterness of coffee might be amplified by your taste buds, as well as the smell.

That's how it is with me. To test if it's your sensitive taste buds, ask yourself "Do I like dark chocolate? Even if everyone else says it's not that dark? Do I sometimes find even regular chocolate bitter too?" If you answered yes to any or all of those then, congratulations, you'll probably never like coffee, or have a hard time adjusting.

All of that being said, most people agree that coffee is an acquired taste, almost no one starts out loving coffee.

I speak on behalf of no-one but myself. For how can I represent anyone else? If someone shares my opinion on a topic, are we now the same person? With the same opinions on all topics? No, of course not.
-Blast335 (me)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 11:17 am

One time my brother and sister in law sold home-made biscotti that my brother had made himself, and served their own fancy espresso with it at the local farmer's market. I once went down and had some biscotti with a mochachino. Even with steamed chocolate milk it was really bitter! 8O The biscotti was good, though. :)

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 11:41 am

Coffee is full of aromatic heterocyclic compounds. Lots of them with sulfur atoms. If broccoli and brussels sprouts give you the yecchs, coffee won't be your best friend either.

There are two distinct varieties (arabica, which is naturally sweeter, and robusta, which is heavier and can be bitter).

Add to this the fact that different roasting times/processes will cause more or less chemical reaction among the different flavor-related chemicals, and different grind sizes/extraction processes/temps will affect the rate of extraction of all those chemicals into the brew.

Add to THIS the fact that water chemistry has a huge effect on taste - recently chlorinated water, water treated with chelating agents to reduce pipe corrosion, etc. really mess it up.

For a good chance of brewing a cup of coffee that will make you smile, close your eyes, and sink down in your chair, try this: find a medium roast, fine grind, Arabica; extra points if the fresh grounds have a slight aroma of chocolate to them. (You'd be amazed: grocery store house brands can be exquisite.) Use whichever extraction process you prefer, but use a good brand of bottled spring water (Not sparkling!! !! Bicarbonate ion content seems to be very important, and water filters can muck that up.)

Let stand five or so minutes after brewed, and season to taste. I have no problems drinking it black or with sugar and cream, but I've also used a blend of cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and clove. OH YUM (falls over on back with feet in air.)

Enjoy!

(edit in: it's less important to grind your own than it is to keep the beans or pre-ground coffee in the freezer once opened. work fast and take out what you need ASAP to reduce condensation in/on the rest.)

(edit in again: I swear this is much easier than it sounds. I can do it first thing in the mornings before I even remember my own name.)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 3:56 am

SH90 wrote:
Low quality coffee is terrible, step up your game and experience the wonderful world of coffee.

Amen. I'm a coffee snob. Won't drink anything but espresso and am very picky about which / what is good espresso.
But find me a good coffee and I love coffee. It's one of my very few consistent pleasures in life. Love it.
BirdInFlight wrote:
I'll tell you who really DOES drink the worst coffee in the world --- BRITS. Brits drink mostly instant coffee and they think it's good.

I know! Ick! :eew: There should rightly be a disclaimer on that - "do you want an instant coffee?"
Because instant is not coffee. Instant is hideous, dirty grey piss. And percolated coffee literally tastes and smells like cat piss. Yuck.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 2:18 pm

I think it smells good and tastes good.