Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 5:03 pm

Do people like the new show?

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

04 Oct 2017, 7:09 pm

I watched parts of the first episode. I found it condescending and insulting; the producers and writers clearly have no idea what they're talking about--by which I mean that, while they may have done their research on autism, they obviously have no personal experience with anyone on the spectrum. Highmore's acting was highly stereotyped and lacked authenticity, and the writing was just flatly patronizing. I certainly won't be watching more.

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 9:21 pm

I've watched the first two episode, and I like very much.
I actually know someone who could be Dr. Murphy's double, in term of personality.
I've written more in the thread about what television show one has just watched.

I entries for both episode 1 and 2

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

09 Oct 2017, 7:03 pm

I was impressed with the show's medical knowledge. I really didn't care about the autism part all that much (that's just what was the initial motive for watching it), but I didn't think the main character was quite as stereotypical as others I've seen. But I was quite impressed that the medical knowledge was mostly correct. At the beginning of the first episode, I had my doubts, thinking, "And why are they not calling this a tension pneumothorax?!" And no sooner had I said that did the words "tension pneumothorax" show on the screen. So, I'm going to continue watching it for the medical aspect. It is much more realistic medically than, say, ER. I also enjoyed the very true depiction of the hierarchy of the medical world. To get ahead, you have to behave a certain way, and somebody who didn't fit in and wasn't on the spectrum would be targeted just as much as the main character is.

candleghost
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Oct 2017, 9:05 pm

I like it so far and I can relate to some of the social awkwardness that Sean displays. I'm just glad that autism is being acknowledged more in media.

Romansky123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Oct 2017, 2:30 pm

It's an interesting show i,m happy to have a realistic potrayal of autism on TV

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2017, 2:36 pm

pcgoblin wrote:
I've watched the first two episode, and I like very much.
I actually know someone who could be Dr. Murphy's double, in term of personality.
I've written more in the thread about what television show one has just watched.

I entries for both episode 1 and 2

This is completely random but....I just wanted to say I LOVE YOUR AVATAR! My brother has a shirt I gave him with that picture that says "F**k the police!" on it and he loves it. :D

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 5:53 am

I've really enjoyed the first 5 episodes. A bit emotional in places ( not sure if that's my mood or not ). The rabbit scene was the most upsetting scene I've scene for a while.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 12:01 am

Haven't seen it, but saw a trailer. The trailer had Shaun's father yelling at him to be normal, and I had a massive panic and started crying. My parents do that to me (no physical element, though).

aspieinwonderland1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Nov 2017, 1:43 pm

Personally, I think the show's okay so far.

peregrina
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2017, 12:37 am

I like the show and there are a lot of things I can relate to. I was a healthcare professional and I am on the spectrum.

sharkattack2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Nov 2017, 9:07 pm

Watched the first 7 episodes it seems to be getting better as it goes along.

The last episode featured an actor with autism.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 1:20 pm

I strongly dislike the show.

It WILL help perpetuate the general public's lack of understanding of ASD and how it manifests itself in behaviour.

The producers COULD have fashioned an accurate portrayal of ASD and STILL had a successful show, but they deliberately chose a false representation of ASD.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 10:48 am

slave wrote:
I strongly dislike the show.

It WILL help perpetuate the general public's lack of understanding of ASD and how it manifests itself in behaviour.

The producers COULD have fashioned an accurate portrayal of ASD and STILL had a successful show, but they deliberately chose a false representation of ASD.

Agreed. It is a parody of autism

Good criticism:
https://crippledscholar.com/2017/10/04/ ... character/