Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

amaz73
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Oct 2017, 2:58 am

So, I have read that Aspies lack or have low body awareness. I was curious if this could be related to the having GI issues. I had an Aspie friend, she is now in her late 30s kind of tall and pretty skinny. Anyway, that used to complain of stomach problems, and then when she would fart it would last 10 sometimes 30 seconds. As impressive or gross as that sounds she did it often enough for me to know that 1) it was no normal and 2) she she was doing it unintentionally.

I was wondering, how often this happens to anyone else?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 12:52 pm

Gastrointestinal problems diagnosed as food allergies, gluten sensitivity, IBS, and "leaky gut" seem to be common in Aspies. Your friend might have low body awareness, or she might actually just have more gas.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 1:01 pm

I actually seem to have extremely good body awareness and control. I also don't have any GI issues or food allergies.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

amaz73
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Oct 2017, 2:16 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I actually seem to have extremely good body awareness and control. I also don't have any GI issues or food allergies.

I give it another 2 or 3 years. Looks can be deceiving.

amaz73
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Oct 2017, 2:18 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
Gastrointestinal problems diagnosed as food allergies, gluten sensitivity, IBS, and "leaky gut" seem to be common in Aspies. Your friend might have low body awareness, or she might actually just have more gas.

True and then there's the third option: both.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 3:00 pm

amaz73 wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

My body control/awareness even seems to be much better than that of others my own age. I know it tends to decrease as a person gets older. I seem to be hypersensitive to any sensations within my body, and able to control bodily functions better than most people. I even unintentionally conditioned myself not to cough, because the noise draws attention I don't want. I'm trying to un-condition myself now that I've realized it and know that not coughing makes one more susceptible to things like pneumonia.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

amaz73
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Oct 2017, 3:18 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
amaz73 wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

My body control/awareness even seems to be much better than that of others my own age. I know it tends to decrease as a person gets older. I seem to be hypersensitive to any sensations within my body, and able to control bodily functions better than most people. I even unintentionally conditioned myself not to cough, because the noise draws attention I don't want. I'm trying to un-condition myself now that I've realized it and know that not coughing makes one more susceptible to things like pneumonia.

Hmmm, now that you have said this I look at it in a different way. Maybe some Aspies train themselves not to fart which leads to GI issues and it is all done by unintentional conditioning. I kind of want to find out if this is the case and on the other hand I have no idea what the answer would do for me.

Either way, I appreciate the insight.

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2017, 10:12 pm

I don’t actually know how common it is, but I’ve always been slightly taller than average and a bit underweight. I also have more gases than most people, probably because I’m intolerant to lactose. My GP also suspects Celiac disease, so I’m going to get tested for that soon. In the meanwhile I’m trying to put on some weight, not because of body awareness (which in my case is moderately low) but because my parents insist I shouldn’t weight 51 kilos if I’m 170 cm tall.

Autism Quotient: 30
Aspie quiz: 123/200 aspie; 75/200 NT
RAADS: 135

amaz73
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2017, 6:48 pm

Sofisol612 wrote:
I don’t actually know how common it is, but I’ve always been slightly taller than average and a bit underweight. I also have more gases than most people, probably because I’m intolerant to lactose. My GP also suspects Celiac disease, so I’m going to get tested for that soon. In the meanwhile I’m trying to put on some weight, not because of body awareness (which in my case is moderately low) but because my parents insist I shouldn’t weight 51 kilos if I’m 170 cm tall.

Hmmm, IBD would make sense. How long have been trying to gain weight? I guess gaining 4-5 kilos is a bit of a challenge. I guess you trying to eat more carbs to make up the weight.

To be honest, I don't remember the last time I spoke to anyone that was not even a little lactose intolerant. This bothers me, immensely. However, if it is Celiac disease then I wish you the best because that just makes your life more complicated. How do you cope with stress?

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2017, 11:37 am

amaz73 wrote:
Sofisol612 wrote:

Hmmm, IBD would make sense. How long have been trying to gain weight? I guess gaining 4-5 kilos is a bit of a challenge. I guess you trying to eat more carbs to make up the weight.

To be honest, I don't remember the last time I spoke to anyone that was not even a little lactose intolerant. This bothers me, immensely. However, if it is Celiac disease then I wish you the best because that just makes your life more complicated. How do you cope with stress?

Well... I´ve only started to pay any attention to my weight this year, when my father talked me into seeing a nutritionist, about three months ago. The doctor asked me about my diet and told me to introduce some changes in it (she said I should eat more proteins for muscle mass, but the carbs seemed to be fine) and then she prescribed me some vitamins to increase my appetite and I´ve been taking them daily for about two months. So far this is working: I´ve gained 2 kilos since I began taking them.

About being lactose-intolerant, I know it´s true that it´s pretty common. And I don´t consider it something serious, in my case: I don´t avoid any kind of food because of it, as the consequences are not so bad. Gluten intolerance could really affect my life, as it would reduce significantly my food options, but I hope the tests will reveal that I don´t really have it. I don´t understand what you mean by coping stress, though... If you mean the stress of possibly having gluten intolerance, the truth is I´m in a sort of denial, and I have the right to be since I haven´t been tested yet :)

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 11:58 am

amaz73 wrote:
Maybe some Aspies train themselves not to fart which leads to GI issues and it is all done by unintentional conditioning.

Oh that's so me!

amaz73
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Nov 2017, 11:09 pm

komamanga wrote:
amaz73 wrote:
Maybe some Aspies train themselves not to fart which leads to GI issues and it is all done by unintentional conditioning.

Oh that's so me!

So, are you constantly in pain? What's your story?

amaz73
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Nov 2017, 11:15 pm

Sofisol612 wrote:
amaz73 wrote:
Sofisol612 wrote:

Well... I´ve only started to pay any attention to my weight this year, when my father talked me into seeing a nutritionist, about three months ago. The doctor asked me about my diet and told me to introduce some changes in it (she said I should eat more proteins for muscle mass, but the carbs seemed to be fine) and then she prescribed me some vitamins to increase my appetite and I´ve been taking them daily for about two months. So far this is working: I´ve gained 2 kilos since I began taking them.

About being lactose-intolerant, I know it´s true that it´s pretty common. And I don´t consider it something serious, in my case: I don´t avoid any kind of food because of it, as the consequences are not so bad. Gluten intolerance could really affect my life, as it would reduce significantly my food options, but I hope the tests will reveal that I don´t really have it. I don´t understand what you mean by coping stress, though... If you mean the stress of possibly having gluten intolerance, the truth is I´m in a sort of denial, and I have the right to be since I haven´t been tested yet :)

I mean in general, how to do you handle stress?

Congrats, on gaining 2 kilos, just try to stay consistent. I have seen many underweight Aspies...I wonder if it's a thing.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 11:35 pm

I'm often unaware of where my arms and legs are flailing. That's why I'm clumsy.

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

29 Nov 2017, 2:16 pm

amaz73 wrote:
Sofisol612 wrote:
amaz73 wrote:
Sofisol612 wrote:

I mean in general, how to do you handle stress?

Congrats, on gaining 2 kilos, just try to stay consistent. I have seen many underweight Aspies...I wonder if it's a thing.

Thank you!

I don´t think I´m very good handling stress, honestly. I usually automatically disconnect from stressful situations, such as when I have to prepare exams ar do many things in a short time, I try to deal with each thing calmly, forgetting about the stress and the consequences of doing something wrong. If I do something wrong, though, such as yesterday, when I failed one of my final exams, the frustration of the failure takes over me and I just lock myself in my bedroom to have a big cry (which might last for about an hour) and then get some sleep. I usually wake up feeling a bit better, and more ready to deal with whatever I need to fix.

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2017, 1:06 pm

Now I´ve finally done those blood tests and I´ve comfirmed I don´t have celiac disease. Ironically, what I do have is high cholesterol, which is more common in overweight people. And I also have hypothyroidism, which is supposed to make me fat... This makes so little sense to me that I honestly think my body is a complete mystery.