I totally want to talk about JRPGs.

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 6:33 pm

amykitten wrote:
Richardf269 wrote:
Being almost 35, and I've been playing PC games since I was about 8 or so. I could really spend hours upon hours talking about all the games I've played.

My favorite RPG has to be NeverWinter Nights, and Baldur's Gate. I didn't really care much for Baldur's Gate 2.

Diablo 1 & 2 were also my absolute favorites.

Dungeon Siege from 2003 was also one of my absolute favorites. I was sad to see this one go into obscurity. DS2 was "okay", not really a favorite.

Trying to work out what of the games you mentioned are JRPG...

Hey, it's an RPG! Though it doesn't have the "J" in them. So technically it's half right! :D

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 3:37 am

Well JRPGs are heavily influenced by western culture. Wizardry was a huge influence on early JRPGs as was Dungeons and Dragons, and you can still see those influences today. Heck, one of my favorite JRPG series on the Nintendo DS/3DS is Etrian Odyssey and its spinoffs like Persona Q, and those are basically Wizardry with an anime skin.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 8:10 am

amykitten wrote:

It's okay, he's new here =)

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Nov 2017, 10:18 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Well JRPGs are heavily influenced by western culture. Wizardry was a huge influence on early JRPGs as was Dungeons and Dragons, and you can still see those influences today. Heck, one of my favorite JRPG series on the Nintendo DS/3DS is Etrian Odyssey and its spinoffs like Persona Q, and those are basically Wizardry with an anime skin.

For me its all about the cuteness!

MarissaKay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2017, 5:44 am

In my opinion, JRPGs have some of the most memorable OSTs out of any other genre of game.

Final Fantasy victory theme, anyone? :wink:

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2017, 12:31 pm

amykitten wrote:
Richardf269 wrote:
Being almost 35, and I've been playing PC games since I was about 8 or so. I could really spend hours upon hours talking about all the games I've played.

My favorite RPG has to be NeverWinter Nights, and Baldur's Gate. I didn't really care much for Baldur's Gate 2.

Dungeon Siege from 2003 was also one of my absolute favorites. I was sad to see this one go into obscurity. DS2 was "okay", not really a favorite.

Don't know what JRPG's are. I never became interested in consoles.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2017, 2:30 pm

Richardf269 wrote:
amykitten wrote:
Richardf269 wrote:

JRPG's are RPG's from Japan. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Hack and tons of other series.

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2017, 3:57 pm

amykitten wrote:
Richardf269 wrote:
amykitten wrote:
Richardf269 wrote:

JRPG's are RPG's from Japan. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Hack and tons of other series.

Ooooh, Gotcha. I was more interested in US made games. Unfortunately a lot of online RPG's I've noticed from Asian countries is the graphics drive me nuts because they're just so cartoonish and it annoys me to no end.