Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 5:23 am

From QuoteAddicts.com

this one is from Joseph Gordon-Levitt

The spiral in a snail's shell is the same mathematically as the spiral in the Milky Way galaxy, and it's also the same mathematically as the spirals in our DNA. It's the same ratio that you'll find in very basic music that transcends cultures all over the world.

If someone could figure out the math of some other galaxy, maybe we could get an idea of possible life forms in it. If we could figure out the basic music from the math, maybe we can shoot that out into space and possibly get an answer.
Hopefully not an invasion. Maybe we should just stick with a sketch of life forms and forget about reaching out 8O

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 9:55 pm

ya know, that's a cosmic thought :alien:

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 10:07 pm

Not even the greatest astronomers can say for sure how many spiral arms there are in the Milky Way.

I'd be surprised if this Joseph Gordon-Levitt, whoever he is, has the slightest knowledge about the spiral arms in the Milky Way or any other galaxy.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 8:05 pm

auntblabby wrote:
ya know, that's a cosmic thought :alien:

:lol:

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 8:08 pm

eric76 wrote:
Not even the greatest astronomers can say for sure how many spiral arms there are in the Milky Way.

I'd be surprised if this Joseph Gordon-Levitt, whoever he is, has the slightest knowledge about the spiral arms in the Milky Way or any other galaxy.

What I would give to have a chance to be in "Dark Sky Country" and see it all. I can hardly see anything where I live because its too close to major cities. They say to go out west (U.S. west) if you want to see the beauty of the night sky.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 8:12 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
What I would give to have a chance to be in "Dark Sky Country" and see it all. I can hardly see anything where I live because its too close to major cities. They say to go out west (U.S. west) if you want to see the beauty of the night sky.

I live in a so-called "dark sky" area in theory, but in reality, the haze [live near inlet of pacific ocean] carries the lights of seattle and Olympia over my house, effectively blanking out most stars even out here! :o but now and then it is dark enough to see auroras.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 10:22 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
eric76 wrote:

Whenever I step out of the house in the wintertime when there is very little turbulence in the air, the view of the sky seems to be three dimensional. It's almost like you can reach out and grab a handful of the Milky Way.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 10:31 pm

eric76 wrote:
RightGalaxy wrote:
eric76 wrote:

Whenever I step out of the house in the wintertime when there is very little turbulence in the air, the view of the sky seems to be three dimensional. It's almost like you can reach out and grab a handful of the Milky Way.

you are blessed with both good vision and good viewing. 8)