Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 10:09 am

I always think to myself why history is important. I think that it history is important because we can learn and see what triggered the events to happen, and to see what we can learn from those events, so we can prevent them from happening. What about you guys? Why do you think history is important?

From the curious poster,

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on October 5, 2017)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 10:39 am

Extremely important.

Without the past, we wouldn't have a present. Without a present, we wouldn't have a future.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Oct 2017, 11:03 am

Knowledge is important. Knowledge is power. History is a great deal of the knowledge.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 1:20 pm

Understanding history gives insight, both into our(your?) heritage, but also into the way cultures thought about the world, themselves and their neighbours.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2017, 2:39 am

If only our politicians, and the people that support them, learned about the mistakes of the past, then everyone in this world would be better off. :(

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 4:02 am

Some seem to think it's important so that anything and anyone can be compared to nazi germany and hitler 24/7.

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

24 Oct 2017, 11:18 am

If you have read 1984 like me, you value the past very, very much.

“Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for? ”
― Pyotr Kropotkin, Memoirs of a Revolutionist

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 12:45 pm

Not knowing history is like not knowing basic physics, perhaps even more dangerous because at least gravity is immediately unforgiving - repeating significant historical mistakes much less so.

History is a textbook of actions and consequences at national and international levels. Without a memory of past social consequences you can't be a rational actor in your local community and similarly without an informed sense of history you can't be a rational actor when it comes to having a functional political position. This is part of why teaching it in the clearest and most illustrative terms goes hand in hand with Enligtenment ideals and any humanism hoping to survive longer than a few generations. The people who wouldn't want you to learn it are typically the kinds of people who think they can either do the same thing that failed disastrously before and get different results or who simply want to pull the wool over the world's eyes a second time.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2017, 3:43 pm

History should be important. The problem is US/world history becomes meaningless because the people who really should learn from it do not. People like me who have the common sense to say not see Native Americans as someone to steal from and not let greed take over are the only ones who tend to pay attention to it and I don't know why we do. I guess you could say well you can use it to teach others but no one listens.

Our personal history on the other hand is important no matter who you are but history as a subject today is so useless.