Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2017, 11:33 am

So coming up with creative names to represent me always posed a significant problem for me. This was an issue I had before I had accepted my previous diagnosis that I had Asperger`s. DSM IV had barely diagnosed me so my father convinced me that I do not have it. That's beside the point. I had a lot of weird off the wall names where I would stick out from a group and be pointed out inappropriately. The solution was brought to me from a fellow outcast like myself over the Internet.

Step 1 You will need a friend to bounce these ideas off of.
Step 2 Come up with words that describe you. Use events that took place that represent you. Look up your heritage for similar representations. Put all of these ideas onto some sort of drawing thing.
Step 3 Find the similar words or places and look in different languages to place on you art thing.
Step 4 circle and connect all of the similar representations that basically
Communicate the same meaning. Different colors can help.
Final step. Prioritize the most important traits of yourself and try to fuse those common representations. For example, start sounding out parts of words that sound interesting to you. Fuse them together in that the retain it`s meaning.

This will give your name a whole new meaning that you will be able to share with people now. (I would tell you my other aliases but I think that could be traced back to me...)

Ragnar was some sort of viking hero in lore who died in a pit of snakes or something like that. This sort of has ties to my heritage and also my inner drive that I have. I like to imagine myself as a hero. I added hawk on the end as I have abilities in video games to detect hidden patterns that I can't explain. For example, I can detect the intent to kill by the why someone moves a character. I can also fade out of bad situations by the way I walk. You get the point. I also added hawk to represent my need for freedom. I have to take in things at my own pace. If I gamble I gamble for that one good roll. Or that one good shot.

Remember to bounce the ideas off of your friend as this can reduce anxiety and help you sit well with it. At the end you may need to shorten your name or switch it around. It is like a new boot, you may have ton adjust to it or change it.

I've migrated over to autismforums. PM me for anything, although I'm better contacted over at autismforums.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 4:21 am

Yeah, coming up with a username that really fits is generally a pain in the butt.

I went through a whole lot of names over the years, none of which ever seemed quite right.

I finally settled on Misery about 4 years ago. I hadnt originally thought much of it... the name comes from a character in Cave Story (she's the one in my image there), and I sorta picked it randomly because I'd been playing it at the time. Over the next two weeks I was told really, really often that "it's really fitting for you" that I decided to stick with it. It took some thinking but I did figure out some of why it seemed so fitting.

Usually when describing myself I say that I have a "dark" personality, which is the only way I can think of to sum it up. Not to mention that I can be extremely manipulative if I see a reason to, but without anyone ever spotting it until it was over. Used to use that back in highschool to deal with the constant bullies... by senior year none of them were dumb enough to get in my way anymore. On the flip side I can be pretty passive and I do genuinely care about others... but then there's the nonstop sarcasm and anger.

In video games, this manifests as really extreme aggression; it doesnt matter what the situation is or how deadly the foe, chances are I'm going to simply charge straight at it. If you know what the term "berserker" means, it's basically that. I use sheer speed to overwhelm opponents, and the more angry I get (which doesnt take much) the faster I'll move. Not to mention that I'll constantly attempt to stab basically everything. Well, not against genuinely good characters though... like in Undertale I dont kill anything. But at the same time I have a particular fondness for and understanding of Chara, which should say something to anyone that knows that game (and I do cosplay of that one too). In fantasy games, when not stabbing things I'll go for wizard characters, because fireballs.

I will say these traits are useful in competitive games. I do fighting games, but I'm far too bloody lazy to do the usual crap like study frame data or blah blah blah. Cant be bothered and my memory is terrible. So my combos tend to come out all fractured and bizarre, and thus a bit weaker than the norm. But the absurd speed and reaction time makes up for that and leads to constant victory.

On the other hand, this is all bloody useless in an FPS that isnt one of the older ones like Doom or Hexen. Put me in a competitive shooter, and I'll show your team new and increasingly idiotic ways to lose. Not on purpose, but it'll happen.

Oddly despite my lack of patience and tendancy to totally snap, I do really get into strategy games of the turn-based sort. Or anything that promises to really challenge my thinking. I also get into games like Minecraft. Though that does involve a good bit of running directly at skeletons and/or getting knocked off of cliffs by them.

So, all of these things tend to fit into that name which means a bit more than what the word usually refers to.

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2017, 11:38 am

Misery wrote:
Yeah, coming up with a username that really fits is generally a pain in the butt.

I went through a whole lot of names over the years, none of which ever seemed quite right.

Misery wrote:
I finally settled on Misery about 4 years ago. I hadnt originally thought much of it... the name comes from a character in Cave Story (she's the one in my image there), and I sorta picked it randomly because I'd been playing it at the time. Over the next two weeks I was told really, really often that "it's really fitting for you" that I decided to stick with it. It took some thinking but I did figure out some of why it seemed so fitting.

We tend to emulate things when it comes to social situations. Copy social script. Etc. You used a character from a game in this case. We also tend to agree with other people on what they agree with on social situations. To come to a conclusion on our own for social situations is ridiculous.

Misery wrote:
Usually when describing myself I say that I have a "dark" personality, which is the only way I can think of to sum it up. Not to mention that I can be extremely manipulative if I see a reason to, but without anyone ever spotting it until it was over. Used to use that back in highschool to deal with the constant bullies... by senior year none of them were dumb enough to get in my way anymore. On the flip side I can be pretty passive and I do genuinely care about others... but then there's the nonstop sarcasm and anger.

You're critical and have a cynical view of the world. Don't we all come to that conclusion after multiple rebukes? Your protective of yourself, like I was. You acknowledged that intimidation is the quickest route to security and isolation. It comes with a cost however. Loneliness while allowing you to pursue your interests takes away from being able to rely on support from other people. You have burned your bridges so to say. Your being passive is the same as being neutral, you don't want to become a target. People would think we are incapable of sarcasm and jokes, I disagree. Rather it boils down to interpretation of other people.

Misery wrote:
In video games, this manifests as really extreme aggression; it doesnt matter what the situation is or how deadly the foe, chances are I'm going to simply charge straight at it. If you know what the term "berserker" means, it's basically that. I use sheer speed to overwhelm opponents, and the more angry I get (which doesnt take much) the faster I'll move. Not to mention that I'll constantly attempt to stab basically everything. Well, not against genuinely good characters though... like in Undertale I dont kill anything. But at the same time I have a particular fondness for and understanding of Chara, which should say something to anyone that knows that game (and I do cosplay of that one too). In fantasy games, when not stabbing things I'll go for wizard characters, because fireballs.

16 personality types. Quick decision making = judging.

Misery wrote:
I will say these traits are useful in competitive games. I do fighting games, but I'm far too bloody lazy to do the usual crap like study frame data or blah blah blah. Cant be bothered and my memory is terrible. So my combos tend to come out all fractured and bizarre, and thus a bit weaker than the norm. But the absurd speed and reaction time makes up for that and leads to constant victory.

On the other hand, this is all bloody useless in an FPS that isnt one of the older ones like Doom or Hexen. Put me in a competitive shooter, and I'll show your team new and increasingly idiotic ways to lose. Not on purpose, but it'll happen.

I want to warn you, you should not be afraid to fail. Everybody does it. You cannot become good at something until you have failed multiple times and learned from mistakes. Next time you're playing a FPS, I want you to concentrate on what lost you the game, and try something new. Adjusting after each mistake can make you a strong player. Don't get stuck on a title (IE: I am the best) after that. If you focus on your ability too much, you'll find yourself trying to prove it. Everything is a learning experience. Even the lowliest pawn can humble a queen.

Quote:
Oddly despite my lack of patience and tendancy to totally snap, I do really get into strategy games of the turn-based sort. Or anything that promises to really challenge my thinking. I also get into games like Minecraft. Though that does involve a good bit of running directly at skeletons and/or getting knocked off of cliffs by them.

So, all of these things tend to fit into that name which means a bit more than what the word usually refers to.

Wronggggg! *Hits buzzer*

Read all of that and tell me that Misery fits you?! You have a lot more to offer than just an expression. I hope this answered a lot of life questions because I actually came up with this information from reading a lot of people understanding books. (In the course of a year or a year and a half I'll admit). Understanding the people around you and yourself is the quickest route to confidence.

I've migrated over to autismforums. PM me for anything, although I'm better contacted over at autismforums.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 12:24 pm

It's difficult to use a username besides the one I am using. I am used to having the same username whenever I make a new account on a website, and thinking of a new username that would stick with me is tough to think up, because it would take a long time.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on October 6, 2017)

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2017, 12:41 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
It's difficult to use a username besides the one I am using. I am used to having the same username whenever I make a new account on a website, and thinking of a new username that would stick with me is tough to think up, because it would take a long time.

People generally sit with what's comfortable to them. That is a problem. That is why it is so hard to work together with people that are different. Shouldn't you consider that maybe you are too comfortable with that name? If say you still had your baby blanket and carried it to work everyday wouldn't you think people would be critical of you? You can't teach an old dog new tricks. A concept that someone established that everybody is inflexible. From someone with your abilities wouldn't it be more amazing to show how flexible you can be, instead of locking yourself down?

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 12:53 pm

Ragnahawk wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:

People generally sit with what's comfortable to them. That is a problem. That is why it is so hard to work together with people that are different. Shouldn't you consider that maybe you are too comfortable with that name? If say you still had your baby blanket and carried it to work everyday wouldn't you think people would be critical of you? You can't teach an old dog new tricks. A concept that someone established that everybody is inflexible. From someone with your abilities wouldn't it be more amazing to show how flexible you can be, instead of locking yourself down?

I never really thought of it like that. But that probably sounds like what I am right now with my username. I think I should try to make a new username for other sites that I could stick with instead of the one I have been using for a while now.

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2017, 3:42 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
Ragnahawk wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:

I never really thought of it like that. But that probably sounds like what I am right now with my username. I think I should try to make a new username for other sites that I could stick with instead of the one I have been using for a while now.

I would recommend following the format above, tailored to your own needs. Having a friend can help point out traits that may not necessarily be obvious to you.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 7:33 am

Quote:
We tend to emulate things when it comes to social situations. Copy social script. Etc. You used a character from a game in this case. We also tend to agree with other people on what they agree with on social situations. To come to a conclusion on our own for social situations is ridiculous.

Hmm, I've always found this moderately baffling. To a degree I'll do it when naming something, but... by "do it" I usually mean "take a name from some book or game". With the name I'm using now it was a bit different mostly because everyone was so bloody persistent about it, so it got me to actually think about it a bit.

Other than that though... I tend to either not really listen much, or just not give a fart. Generally I'll just do my own thing regardless of what others are doing. Definitely applies to gaming; fighting games for instance, there's always specific ways of doing things that basically everyone in that community follows. The "right" way to do it is, well, all of these really specific things. I decided this was stupid (analyzing frame data is boring, and copying someone else's combos is also boring) and that I'd bloody well manage without any of it, so I did.

As a rule though, when I see people doing stuff like this so readily and so often, I really do find it kinda confusing. Everyone just follows others when it comes to so many topics. Heck, even when it comes to their interests, people often get into something because someone else is into it. I've never been able to grasp that. Very hard to understand.

Quote:
You're critical and have a cynical view of the world. Don't we all come to that conclusion after multiple rebukes? Your protective of yourself, like I was. You acknowledged that intimidation is the quickest route to security and isolation. It comes with a cost however. Loneliness while allowing you to pursue your interests takes away from being able to rely on support from other people. You have burned your bridges so to say. Your being passive is the same as being neutral, you don't want to become a target. People would think we are incapable of sarcasm and jokes, I disagree. Rather it boils down to interpretation of other people.

When it comes to the stuff I managed back in high school, it was never a matter of me using intimidation in any way... I couldnt have done that one. How could I have intimidated anyone? Not the type. No, I simply twisted events and variables to meet my needs in ways that nobody would spot. The idea was generally to create a self-destructive situation for the bully in question, so that they'd hit a point where right when they'd be about to do something nasty, it'd suddenly become very abruptly apparent that if they did, something would happen without me so much as lifting a finger, and they'd have alot of trouble in their hands without me having any. They say that doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result is the definition of insanity, and so the plan was to get those jerks to realize simply that they couldnt win and may as well not bother with me. Granted, it took them awhile.

I know intimidation is a big thing for many, particularly the physical sort, but... ehh. I dont really know how to do that.

Now as for sarcasm... are those on the spectrum really thought to be incapable of that one? THAT I have a hard time grasping, as being ultra-sarcastic at all times IRL is pretty much my normal mode of operation. My father in particular finds this amusing.

I do hear though that alot of people on the spectrum not only cant do that, but have great trouble even spotting or understanding when someone else is doing it. But why is that? I'd be interested to know.

Quote:
I want to warn you, you should not be afraid to fail. Everybody does it. You cannot become good at something until you have failed multiple times and learned from mistakes. Next time you're playing a FPS, I want you to concentrate on what lost you the game, and try something new. Adjusting after each mistake can make you a strong player. Don't get stuck on a title (IE: I am the best) after that. If you focus on your ability too much, you'll find yourself trying to prove it. Everything is a learning experience. Even the lowliest pawn can humble a queen.

This I've never had a problem with.

For instance, I just managed this earlier today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBgN9On35fU

I've been trying to do that, over and over, for weeks now. The game is very difficult right from the start, and even after having "beaten" it there, it only gets harder from here. There is for instance a character that just outright dies instantly if you make even the tiniest mistake (getting hit, missing a beat, digging the wrong wall, whatever...), and THAT is going to involve one failure after another for who knows how long... and that still isnt the most difficult that it gets. Shmups and roguelikes are the main genres I play, and are pretty much the ones where the player is most likely to lose about a billion times over before they so much as get one victory (provided it ever happens at all). I'm very freaking stubborn though and will simply keep trying to crash through until it happens. But it's damn near impossible to be the "best" at any one of those.

I actually kinda have a hard time understanding how so many gamers these days have such major issues with the idea of losing. I see them freak the heck out so often over that.

Now as for FPS games... aside from being really terrible at them, I honestly just dont really like them. Well, modern ones anyway. Give me something like Hexen from way back when, and I'm good. But give me some modern military whatever and I'm tired of it within 5 minutes. I dont understand that genre anymore. There's the occaisional exception... I did like Destiny for instance... but that's pretty darned rare.

Quote:
Read all of that and tell me that Misery fits you?!

Generally, yes. As I said, it's not just about the usual meaning of the word, there's alot more to it than just that. It also links to the character the name comes from, as my personality is very similar to hers in alot of ways (really noticable IRL, but not quite as much online lately as I try to moderate my posts a bit more to prevent trouble).

It's all the sort of thing that's hard to explain to others. But I think that probably holds true for plenty of people online when they've found a name that they think really fits them. It makes perfect sense to them, but may confuse the hell out of others.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 11:13 pm

Ragnahawk wrote:
Shouldn't you consider that maybe you are too comfortable with that name? ... From someone with your abilities wouldn't it be more amazing to show how flexible you can be, instead of locking yourself down?

For better or for worse, I try to keep the same handle everywhere I go, so people can recognize me, and vice versa. A lot of places I hang out revolve around similar topics, for instance if I'm hanging out at a game dev community and someone is plugging something they're working on, they wouldn't want people to reply with "Who are you again?"

Of course, I have some throwaway handles as well...like here, where I don't particularly want to be recognized (though I don't disguise myself that well, IMO). Or I have some super throwaway "real names" and addresses that I use to sign up for things where I know they're just going to send me junk mail, or if there's a forum I need to search and they REQUIRE you to sign up first :roll:

I've tried making troll accounts or sock puppets when I was younger (not here, mind you), and I'd always get bored of them pretty quickly.

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2017, 5:28 pm

It's strange though. You can look at forums, compare non-autistic and autistic individuals and you can see a pattern. People still ask me what a Ragnahawk is. I had one ask me if that was some kind of pokemon. It's great though. I can share that experience with others I know. It's not just some quick fix that just happened to fit. It's a name I put together with a close friend and I cherish that.

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Oct 2017, 6:54 pm

bump

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 8:12 am

I probably have little respect for this title, especially in regards to this site where I actually use a really boring user name, I tended to have a really hard time in the past using any name other than the one I have always had. I have since built up some, that I in ways wish I could use for here instead of what I literally chose first. The current one I use generally in games has the history that I needed one for Xbox, that I wanted a name to use one for Halo, that I thought about my liking being stealthy and that I got into the Predator creatures, I took on Predator because of a match of playstyle and Spartans looking a little similar. But when it came to a Live account I could not use just "Predator", where Xbox kept giving me examples variants, eventually one jumping out at me as "DuskyPredator", I am not sure I really saw the word "dusky" in common usage, but it kind of met the sort shadowy way I liked to play.

"DuskyPredator" is something I use in a few places, but in games for a character name it does not always feel right, so I end up using just "Dusky". And in a game that asked me something like a surname, where "Predator" was starting to sound a bit creepy, I thought about a lot of different words and the like, and I think it was "Sunset" that I thought sounded good and something I liked, so my game character names have gone towards either "Dusky" or "Dusky Sunset". And a little more recently I faced a game that I wanted a female avatar instead, where "Dusky" did not fit the image, I started to think on variants or similar things, and in a jolt of inspiration I thought "Duskei" sounded almost like a feminine version, so it started to be one I use with female characters. Also interesting I thought it be a way to use more warrior classes while I tend to go more towards spell user classes in games if given the choice, never really feeling like I am much of a warrior, for example done it with Dark Souls, and in using the name I feel like I become more aggressive in my play as Duskei. A user name does become part of your identity.

Moronerd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Oct 2017, 8:57 am

A lot of the time I feel like going for something self-deprecating when it comes to online tags for myself, because I find it amusing and also because I'm at least kinda dumb. Othertimes I opt for a simple phrase or compound word that has some kind of significance to me.

When I'm rpging, I tend to go with whatever feels thematic to the character or setting, even in single-player games. Mind, I rarely roleplay my character in multiplayer games, but enjoy seeing roleplay occur around me.

Ragnahawk is a good handle, sort of rhymes with Ragnarok.