Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

hellhole
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Oct 2017, 12:43 pm

I've only met about 6 other people with my condition (pdd-nos) in my life, 4 of which are males, and I would like to meet more, as I think I would get along with them really well, but I don't really see how given the lack of chances to meet them in life, coupled with the fact that the type of autism I have seems to be fairly uncommon. I only have 1 close friend who has this, and my cousin has it too, both of which are verbal and self-aware.

Any ideas for someone in the UK?

"vulnerable narcissistic defenses w/ mild borderline traits"; Body Dysmorphic Disorder, (self-diagnosed).

Our internal representation of reality: (http://bit.ly/2BJuj5o)

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 1:04 pm

That actually seems like a lot of people to me, I am not aware of ever meeting anyone who was autistic, did you go to a special school or something?

hellhole
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Oct 2017, 1:36 pm

No just a regular school. Back in school, I can only recall about one girl who had it, and she had normal intelligence and normal social skills, and basically seemed neurotypical on the outside, but had a preoccupation with certain smells, was a bit quirky, apparently liked her time alone and well... that was it really ('traits'). In college there was probably only 1 or 2 more female individuals who were like that; you know, comparatively "normal" on the outside, but slightly different to the rest nonetheless, just like me.

"vulnerable narcissistic defenses w/ mild borderline traits"; Body Dysmorphic Disorder, (self-diagnosed).

Our internal representation of reality: (http://bit.ly/2BJuj5o)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 12:29 pm

In the US there are often support groups for ASD folks in your town. Not always. But big cities tend to have them. I used to go to a support group in the Washington DC area. So might google support groups to see if there are any in your city.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2017, 6:42 pm

There will be a support group near you no matter where you are. Go and have a good look round the National Autistic Society website, lots of good stuff on there.

BBC: Radio 4