Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 6:44 am

Embla wrote:
Could it be that because of the medication, the symptoms weren't obvious enough for the new psychiatrist to see, thereby leading him to a false conclusion?

I would say that it could be a good thing to meet several psychiatrists if you're in doubt about your diagnosis. They all have different experiences in different areas, and some might not get you at all, while some will.
But if you think that your diagnosis makes sense, then I wouldn't bother listening to someone trying to prove you wrong. Experienced in psychiatry or not, they still don't know you better than you do.

Personally, I had to change psychiatrists because as soon as I told my first one that I suspected I might be on the spectrum, he just told me that "No, you're definitely not. Do you know how rare that is in girls? What you DO have is a personality disorder that looks a lot like AS, but it's not. Here, take this anxiety medication."
At first I believed him, but after a few meetings it became clear that he wasn't even listening to what I was saying. Kept telling me all about how my parents have messed me up, even though I barely said anything about them.

My current Psychiatrist was really great about it. I didn't want to say too much about AS when I first met him, because of my experience with the first guy. But as soon as it was mentioned (it's all over my journals) he was like "Oh yeah! That makes a lot of sense. Let's go ahead and look more into that."
Changed my life.

Some people have just made up their mind, and if you notice that someone's opinion of you isn't right, then screw them. There are better alternatives.
Also, You should bring up how you were in the past, You change over time and may have learned better coping skills. Or just throw the coping skills out the window and wing it. (at the doctor's office)

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 1:51 pm

Pieplup wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
You need to go back to your old psychiatrist temporarily until you can find another new one nearer to you. There is no point in arguing with a psychiatrist who has made their mind up.

My psychiatrist is really f**king annoying all she does is talk and talk and talk and talk...

Sounds like you need a new one. They are there to help, not chitchat.

Toast82
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Oct 2017, 5:32 pm

Thanks everyone. I’m currently looking for a new one. I have come a long way since figuring this all out years ago. I could sit and talk about my problems but I’ve always have been a person that wants to get to the next step. Or as it used to be skip that step and hopefully stumble upward.

I don’t see talking about my problems as a great means of solving the issue. I’ve learned from prior to medication to keep a minimalistic approach to personal property. Makes it less likely to lose. I could go back to sticky notes and constantly glued to my phone to keep me organized, but since I changed job careers and can’t do that anymore I don’t think that will help.