Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 9:24 am

So, my online therapist suggested to me that I go talk to a GP about generalised anxiety and OCD, to try to either confirm or disprove the possibility that I have these conditions. They currently suspect that I do, hence the suggestion but of course I know it's up to me on whether I want to take them up on that referral or not.

Up until then I hadn't really considered the possibility of generalised anxiety disorder, but they brought it up in one of our sessions. Since then, I've been wondering about these conditions and I'm curious to hear people's experiences.

Are you diagnosed with any of these conditions? Perhaps both? Neither? Do you suspect that you do? And... *drum roll* let the thread commence! :)

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 12:55 pm

I am diagnosed with both, GAD and OCD (in addition to Social Anxiety Disorder). My therapist diagnosed me. I don’t think my GP would have the ability to diagnose me and she has told me that she’s learned more about OCD and GAD from me, than any of the resources she’s utilized. (Not that I am saying I am an expert, or that I try to teach her. I simply discuss experiences and difficulties with her, on occasion). Do you have specific questions regarding GAD and/or OCD? Perhaps, I could be effective in answering some of them for you. Or, perhaps, others here, will be better suited to answer your inquiries than I am, and will be around, shortly. : )

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 9:27 am

Britte wrote:
I am diagnosed with both, GAD and OCD (in addition to Social Anxiety Disorder). My therapist diagnosed me. I don’t think my GP would have the ability to diagnose me and she has told me that she’s learned more about OCD and GAD from me, than any of the resources she’s utilized. (Not that I am saying I am an expert, or that I try to teach her. I simply discuss experiences and difficulties with her, on occasion). Do you have specific questions regarding GAD and/or OCD? Perhaps, I could be effective in answering some of them for you. Or, perhaps, others here, will be better suited to answer your inquiries than I am, and will be around, shortly. : )

I think if I were to talk to my GP about it, I'd probably be referred to a psychiatrist or something. Anyway, I probably should've been clearer on what the thread is about. So, when were you diagnosed? What was the process like for you? How involved were your friends and family in the process? How did it affect them (if at all)?

Vandeeje
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2017, 12:12 pm

I'm also very interested to hear about the OCD part. My therapist and I touched on my having it in my last session. In the past couple of months I've begun to feel the need to clean and change my apartment with the reason that if it's not done I may fall back into a severe depression. I go from frantically trying to do everything at once to being so overwhelmed that I have a meltdown.

Right now I have earplugs in and headphones over them for obvious reasons, along with sunglasses and a blanket over me because I took my curtains down to replace them but haven't yet. All of this because I got overwhelmed and flipped. The only reason I'm not in the bathroom in total darkness is because I needed to lie down.

I'm just not really sure how a diagnosis would help or if there's anything they can do other than recommend therapy. I haven't been to see my psychiatrist since I discovered I'm on the autism spectrum either so I don't really know what to bring up.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 12:35 pm

I have only been diagnosed with depression ( Off & On for 27 years now ) until 2 years ago when they added anxiety ( I think I've had anxiety since I was a teen ). I highly suspect I have the obsessional side of OCD ( with mental compulsions ). I'm hoping my ASD assessment will identify exactly what I have - fingers crossed :) .

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 3:05 am

I have severe OCD. I worry about everything. I used to not be able to eat with my hands because of germ-phobia.

EscapingTheCrowd
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Oct 2017, 12:31 am

I'm very germophobic. I hate sinks that you have to turn off in the public restroom when the public restroom doesn't supply paper towels. I hate how I've noticed most people take like 2 seconds to wash their hands when you're supposed to take like 20 seconds and use warm water which kills germs. I think I might have OCD. I've had severe anxiety in the past but in most situations I can suppress my anxiety. Not sure if that's healthy but it's my only way to cope with it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Nov 2017, 8:38 pm

I'm diagnosed with both issues. I screwed up my 1st two relationships because I had thoughts in my head that bad things were going on that likely weren't which lead to bad panic attacks & I became very controlling as a way of trying to prevent them. I would feel anxious in lots of other situations too & then my OCD would dwell on some aspect of the situations & take over. I take Buspar for my GAD & it helps alot & I also take Neurontin/Gabapentin for my OCD which also helps a lot.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition