Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 4:15 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
I'm just now discovering the extent of my ASD. I don't have a formal diagnosis, but the more I learn, the more my whole life seems to make sense. It's amazing to find a community that understands my experiences. I'm 35 years old, and have amassed a huge arsenal of behaviors to act NT in social settings, but it is a ton of work, and I'm not always up to the challenge, haha.

Yes, trying to behave in a way acceptable to others takes so much concentration, it's exhausting, eventually I miss bits of whats going on in a conversation or around me and get accused of not paying attention. Now I know why, makes it easier to deal with. :)

Yes I have also amassed a huge arsenal of NT behaviours and you're right it is a massive amount of work to execute consistently. And I'm living proof that I haven't always been able to act NT successfully. I've been fired 9 times, suspended 3 times and quit more than 30 jobs to avoid being fired because of typical Autistic social difficulties. Most of the time the rest of the NT workers were intimidated by my strong work ethic and sought to "vote me off the island", as the saying now goes thanks to that dreadful TV show Survivor.

My ability to focus on the task ahead of me is unparalleled and my NT co-workers are very quick to notice this and always made fun of me for it as if I was always trying to "impress the boss or something" when really I just wanted to focus intensely as all Autistics love to do. Of course every NT out there doesn't have the capacity to understand what Autism does to a person.

And you're right it does take a great deal of concentration doesn't it? And I'm not always able to pay attention to what other people are saying because of that fact.

I think I'm getting closer to another Autistic burnout... another one of many.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2017, 6:36 am

xatrix26 wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
I'm just now discovering the extent of my ASD. I don't have a formal diagnosis, but the more I learn, the more my whole life seems to make sense. It's amazing to find a community that understands my experiences. I'm 35 years old, and have amassed a huge arsenal of behaviors to act NT in social settings, but it is a ton of work, and I'm not always up to the challenge, haha.

Yes, trying to behave in a way acceptable to others takes so much concentration, it's exhausting, eventually I miss bits of whats going on in a conversation or around me and get accused of not paying attention. Now I know why, makes it easier to deal with. :)

Yes I have also amassed a huge arsenal of NT behaviours and you're right it is a massive amount of work to execute consistently. And I'm living proof that I haven't always been able to act NT successfully. I've been fired 9 times, suspended 3 times and quit more than 30 jobs to avoid being fired because of typical Autistic social difficulties. Most of the time the rest of the NT workers were intimidated by my strong work ethic and sought to "vote me off the island", as the saying now goes thanks to that dreadful TV show Survivor.

My ability to focus on the task ahead of me is unparalleled and my NT co-workers are very quick to notice this and always made fun of me for it as if I was always trying to "impress the boss or something" when really I just wanted to focus intensely as all Autistics love to do. Of course every NT out there doesn't have the capacity to understand what Autism does to a person.

And you're right it does take a great deal of concentration doesn't it? And I'm not always able to pay attention to what other people are saying because of that fact.

Take care of yourself and slow yourself down. How long have you been in this job you're in now?

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

11 Nov 2017, 12:11 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! I go on here to look and see if I can relate with other people so I don't feel like i'm the only one who is in this situation or something....It really helps! I am happy that this site exists! :) :)

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 9:13 am

xatrix26 wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

How are you? you don't sound too good. You have some care, I believe, but are they only for physical things or can you talk to them too? Or talk to us.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 11:09 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
xatrix26 wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

How are you? you don't sound too good. You have some care, I believe, but are they only for physical things or can you talk to them too? Or talk to us.

I'm hangin' in there. Barely sustained actually. I'm not in a life-threatening situation now but another heart attack may be coming sooner rather than later. Who knows. Financial resources are a minimum so the cost of Autism is being deferred. Unfortunately. These forums help for the time being.

Thanks for asking. :D

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 12:27 pm

xatrix26 wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
xatrix26 wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

I'm hangin' in there. Barely sustained actually. I'm not in a life-threatening situation now but another heart attack may be coming sooner rather than later. Who knows. Financial resources are a minimum so the cost of Autism is being deferred. Unfortunately. These forums help for the time being.

Thanks for asking. :D

Having the possibility of another heart attack hanging over you must make it very difficult not to feel anxious :(
Yes, this forum is very good, It's nice to be able to mention issues openly with people who don't think your being silly, paranoid, or just difficult for the sake of it. :D