Veteran

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 8:38 am

No, never.

Quote:
Brutality, noun - Webster 1828
Inhumanity; savageness; churlishness (marked by a lack of civility or graciousness); insensibility to pity or shame.

>> "...Polish Police...love their batons..."

Quote:
A truncheon or baton...can be used defensively to block; offensively to strike, jab, bludgeon; and it can aid in the application of armlocks.

Baton (law enforcement) --Wikipedia

There is no justification for using the baton "offensively to strike, jab, bludgeon" without just cause (such as in self-defense or to stop someone who is causing harm to someone else).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 9:28 am

Nope....

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 10:48 am

No.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 11:16 am

Well.......

I wouldn't have shed a tear if the police had gotten to exercise a little brutality on that a$$hole in Vegas.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 11:34 am

Quote:
Does Police Brutality Can Be Justified?

No
Using a little extra force as necessary in some cases, yes, but not brutality.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 12:29 pm

/\ +1

That cop that shot that kid 16 times in the BACK, is brutality, IMO----he was WALKING-AWAY from the cop----INEXCUSABLE!!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 9:22 pm

I guess that depends on who does the justifying. The Polish courts may justify this. US courts will justify that level of violence, but only against poor people, mostly people of color. Pawelk, do the Polish police also do this to rich, powerful drunks?

I don't think it does justice any favors, to justify police brutality, neither the philosophical idea of justice nor the justice system. Some people start to think they can't rely on society to protect them from unfair abuse at the hands of the authorities. Often, they really can't.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 4:04 pm

Raptor wrote:
Quote:
Does Police Brutality Can Be Justified?

No
Using a little extra force as necessary in some cases, yes, but not brutality.

I agree with this with a caveat. --Cops are human beings who are just as fallible as any other human being. They have stresses in life just like anybody else and are just as capable of snapping under the pressures of life as anybody else. These ones I can undersstand and sympathise with.

The ones who join any police force to justify being a violent thug with no real oversight because they represent 'The State' Are people who's only 'Police' work who be policing the trash from parking lots and off the sides of highways.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 4:28 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Well.......

I wouldn't have shed a tear if the police had gotten to exercise a little brutality on that a$$hole in Vegas.

Well that is different, if someone is actively shooting/harming people then I think it would be justified for police to use violent force to stop them. But police brutality is when they use violent/brutal techniques where its not necessary, like pulling a gun on someone they've pulled over for speeding or having a tail-light out or using violent force against someone they've already restrained.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 6:27 am

I'm sure most of us wouldn't care if it happened to a mass shooter, but it never seems to happen to them. Wonder why...

(Don't anyone say "because they kill themselves," we've arrested plenty with no harm done)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 9:59 am

modernmax wrote:
I'm sure most of us wouldn't care if it happened to a mass shooter, but it never seems to happen to them. Wonder why...

I often wonder the same. Lee Harvey Oswald was not beaten with batons after killing President Kennedy, and then neither was Jack Ruby commended after he had killed Lee Harvey Oswald even though it is easy to believe many people hated what Lee had done and then loved the very same act -- homicide -- as committed by Jack. Overall, I suspect police brutality is typically reserved for or confined to low-profile cases simply because those perpetrators are easy targets that seldom get or bring much publicity where the brutality (excessive force) would be categorically condemned.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 10:17 am

leejosepho wrote:
modernmax wrote:

I often wonder the same. Lee Harvey Oswald was not beaten with batons after killing President Kennedy, and then neither was Jack Ruby commended after he had killed Lee Harvey Oswald even though it is easy to believe many people hated what Lee had done and then loved the very same act -- homicide -- as committed by Jack. Overall, I suspect police brutality is typically reserved for or confined to low-profile cases simply because those perpetrators are easy targets that seldom get or bring much publicity where the brutality (excessive force) would be categorically condemned.

I was being sarcastic when I said I wonder why.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 4:31 pm

Always. It’s all a matter of who gets eaten and who gets to eat.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 5:13 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I guess that depends on who does the justifying. The Polish courts may justify this. US courts will justify that level of violence, but only against poor people, mostly people of color. Pawelk, do the Polish police also do this to rich, powerful drunks?

I don't think it does justice any favors, to justify police brutality, neither the philosophical idea of justice nor the justice system. Some people start to think they can't rely on society to protect them from unfair abuse at the hands of the authorities. Often, they really can't.

They used to be quite severely batoned , member to our parlament, he was quite strongly drunk, then the policemen had a problem was suspended, but then returned to service they said that if they knew that the MP, would not beat him so hard, they thought that was just regular drunk guy :mrgreen: