Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2017, 6:27 am

I've always had a big passion for art. And I've always had a big interest for plants.
About two weeks ago I started obsessing over fungi. I've been researching the classifications and now I'm making a catalogue with paintings of different species in the correct order.
I probably wouldn't have been as interested if it wasn't for the painting-part, but with art and biology combined, this is the most fun I've ever had. Just wish I figured it out sooner.
Next project is going to be a catalogue over edible plants.

Anyone else combining their art with other special interests?

Terminus
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Oct 2017, 2:56 pm

Well it's more to do with what you mentioned, but observing biology is very inspiring to my art and more specifically, using concepts from evolutionary theory in order to "evolve" my art has yielded very positive results.

Also, microscopic imagery, like of diatoms, is of huge value to me artistically.

I think that studying the "emergence" of things like visual patterns, is equal to or even more important than simply studying the patterns themselves. It gives you more power to improvise or come up with your own original work instead of just copying something else.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2017, 6:27 am

That seems so cool!
I didn't know what diatoms is so I googled and now I have to restrain myself to not start obsessing over those too. I dont have the time!

Is there a way for me to see your art?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 9:27 am

In my watercolor class, I did a painting with cats-white, blue-eyed kitties.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Oct 2017, 11:13 pm

IstominFan wrote:
In my watercolor class, I did a painting with cats-white, blue-eyed kitties.

Oh, so cats is your thing? That's pretty cool. I would imagine that art and animals was a common combination. But due to the few replies of this post, maybe not?