Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 4:37 am

Quote:
Should you shake a girl's hand?

absolutely not.
you never know where that middle digit of their hand has been recently.

i do not like catching germs from people.

i refuse to shake hands with anyone because i do not see the sense in it, and i also do not want to expose myself to any microbial infections.

when i worked 9-5 in an office in a suit many years ago, i had to go to meetings where i was required to shake hands with people, so i always donned a latex glove before i shook their hands, and then when i shook them all, i just peeled
off the glove and dropped it in the bin.

i was told many times that it was very rude to do that, but whatever.
my life is more important than good manners.

so with a girl, i would shake her hand with a glove on, but think it would not engender any feeling of closeness in them toward me.

the best way to shake someones hand is to squirt lighter fluid on their palm and set it alight.

their hand will shake vigorously after that.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Oct 2017, 3:50 pm

b9 wrote:
Quote:

absolutely not.

i refuse to shake hands with anyone because i do not see the sense in it, and i also do not want to expose myself to any microbial infections.

when i worked 9-5 in an office in a suit many years ago, i had to go to meetings where i was required to shake hands with people, so i always donned a latex glove before i shook their hands, and then when i shook them all, i just peeled

If you indeed did it, I bet people thought of it as extremally rude.
If you get into such a situation, I suggest you do the same the veiled girls on Boo's graduation video did: put your right hand on your sternum and nod/bow instead of handshake. That would be way more polite.
If anybody asked you about it, you could say something like "I am sorry but I am very uncomfortable with touching other people".
This would be the least offending way of refusing a handshake I could think of.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 5:00 pm

In a dating situation or a platonic situation?

If it's a dating situation than no, don't shake her hand. It's unromantic.

If it's a platonic situation than sure, why not?

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
That's because religion is f**** up, especially my long ago former religion (Islam).

And the orthodox Jews have the same rule. No shaking hands with the opposite sex.

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2017, 6:13 pm

Embla wrote:
Yes, definitely a gender thing. And a culture, hierarchy, age - thing.
Hard thing....

I still stand by rather stretching a hand out and seeming a little weird, than doing nothing and coming off as impolite.
But I see the handshake as an introductory thing. You shake someone's hand and present yourself. So maybe only for the first meeting. Then if you see the person again, just do nothing unless they initiate something themselves.

I don't know.. Maybe this only applies to Scandinavians...

It's the same in Norway.

I prefer to only shake hands with both sexes. If I see someone I know I will greet them by saying hello. Some men still prefer to shake hands every time we meet, I find that confusing and therefore uncomfortable. Hugs and especially tapping like some men do creeps me out. I always try to just stretch out my hand for both sexes. But sometimes a hug happens really fast and I have no time to react. I can't protest either because that will be rude and I don't want to make a scene.

I'm not looking forward to all the hugs that will happen whenever I meet my relatives, it makes me very anxious :(

I do however like hugs if it's by girls I think is cute or have a crush on. A hug is very intimate for me and not something I like other people seeing me doing :oops:

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2017, 7:09 pm

Enceladus wrote:
Embla wrote:
Yes, definitely a gender thing. And a culture, hierarchy, age - thing.
Hard thing....

I still stand by rather stretching a hand out and seeming a little weird, than doing nothing and coming off as impolite.
But I see the handshake as an introductory thing. You shake someone's hand and present yourself. So maybe only for the first meeting. Then if you see the person again, just do nothing unless they initiate something themselves.

I don't know.. Maybe this only applies to Scandinavians...

It's the same in Norway.

I prefer to only shake hands with both sexes. If I see someone I know I will greet them by saying hello. Some men still prefer to shake hands every time we meet, I find that confusing and therefore uncomfortable. Hugs and especially tapping like some men do creeps me out. I always try to just stretch out my hand for both sexes. But sometimes a hug happens really fast and I have no time to react. I can't protest either because that will be rude and I don't want to make a scene.

I'm not looking forward to all the hugs that will happen whenever I meet my relatives, it makes me very anxious :(

I do however like hugs if it's by girls I think is cute or have a crush on. A hug is very intimate for me and not something I like other people seeing me doing :oops:

Hehe, yeah, those bastard quick-huggers is making life hard. I can get over it quite easy though, after I went to a school where people were all about cuddles and massages. (ew.. who would want to get in a massage circle? really??) I got a lot of training there.
Not enough to handle the relatives though. So many ladies who saw me grow up and feel like they know me well, but I barely know who they are. That's creepy.

I agree that hugs from the right person is nice. My boyfriend is the only one that I enjoy hugging, and I surprise myself with how much I want to do it.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 12:20 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
In a dating situation or a platonic situation?

If it's a dating situation than no, don't shake her hand. It's unromantic.

If it's a platonic situation than sure, why not?

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
That's because religion is f**** up, especially my long ago former religion (Islam).

And the orthodox Jews have the same rule. No shaking hands with the opposite sex.

Islam is an arabized version of Judiasm.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 2:25 am

magz wrote:
b9 wrote:
Quote:

absolutely not....le da

If you indeed did it, I bet people thought of it as extremally rude.

yes well it was discreet. i walked into the boardroom with the glove already on (as if i had been tinkering with sensitive stuff earlier).
when i shook their hand, i turned my back on them and looked at the whiteboard pretending to think about the focus of the projector, and i slipped the glove off quietly out of sight and dropped it in the din.

the people who told me it was rude were my bosses who were "on to me".

magz wrote:
If you get into such a situation, I suggest you do the same the veiled girls on Boo's graduation video did: put your right hand on your sternum and nod/bow

it would look like i am starting to suffer a heart attack.
actually that is a good idea.
pretend i have chest pains and get out of there in an ambulance.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 2:50 am

modernmax wrote:
It seems odd because when I meet someone I tend to offer my hand first. But it seems like that should only be for guys. When I've done it with girls they appeared to get slightly weirded out. I'm guessing it has something to do with them not liking physical contact upon first meeting. I also don't know to go light so they know I can be gentle for them or firm so they don't think I think any less of them. I'm just not going to bother anymore and let them decide if they want to extend or not.

In casual settings, people tend to not shake hands upon meeting, and in professional settings, they tend to, though there are exceptions to both depending on situation and culture.

It's possible the girls weren't put off by your hand shaking, but were just taken aback because they are not accustom to the formality. They may even be impressed and view it as manly.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 2:52 am

b9 wrote:
Quote:

absolutely not.

I find that incredibly funny. I would actually not be offended if someone did that to me as I understand the concern over germs.