Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

insertgenericlewdcomment
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2017, 4:54 pm

I don't have as much time to get around to watching as much anime as I wish I could, so:

Is SAO as completely unwatchable as people tend to say?

Does Cross Ange start degrading into shounen tropes as it goes on? I've seen that happen to a few shows that do that, for the worse.

Does the Claymore anime measure up to the manga?

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 7:54 pm

I only watched the first season of Sword Art Online. I thought it was trash. The beginning premise is interesting, if not particularly original. The strangest thing in the first season is that the main story arc is seemingly resolved in the first half. Then something happens, a sort of but wait, there's more! moment, and the story keeps going on a second, far less interesting arc. What makes it less interesting is that the stakes are lower and a lot of the story retreads the same ground as the first. Also one of the more interesting protagonists in the first arc is relegated to being a damsel in distress.

Other things that annoyed me about the show was how the rules established in the story on how the world works kept changing to drive the narrative, and some rules were nebulously defined. There's a character that gets introduced about halfway in that seems to exist just to be able to break the rules when the plot needs a deus ex machina. Also I really disliked how the show throws a lot of fanservice at the viewer. I found a lot of it to be exploitative in the extreme, and in completely poor taste. There's also a fair bit of sexual assault, and it's generally presented in a very leering manner.

After a couple of scenes near the end of the series I had already decided I probably wouldn't watch it past the first season and only watched until the end due to the endless hype and love people seemingly had for the series. It boggles my mind that people watched the first season and enough people kept watching to support a second season and a feature film.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 12:08 am

Well I actually like Sword Art Online, I feel that it is often the anime snobs that can have a problem with it. Some people have a problem with it, while others I think can just role with it. The second season being notable for a new character with the sniper who brings new things, a fun RPG story which I wanted to see, and an amazing story with shifting the main character role to lead female for a bit with a very touching story.

Although I said anime snobs, it is probably incorrect, I watch a lot of anime and can have quite a bit to say about some of them. I liked Cross Ange too, although it does get very full on, earlier on the show is kind of made as a pretty terrible flawed character, and goes through some pretty terrible things, while the second half has her being a stronger character and more in control, although not without a character trying to pull her down, which I kind of feel was the point of the show.