Do aspies often date people we don't even like?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cato4797
Raven
Raven

08 Oct 2017, 8:35 pm

So I dated this girl (first girl I dated for this long!) over the summer from early to July to early-mid August, and then "resumed" things later for about a week, long distance. When things ended the first time, it felt like I imploded. I went from hoping for things to work out between us (I had literally said that the week before) to having no idea if I even liked her.

Over the next few weeks, I continued to talk to her. However, since then I've gradually more and more realized that I have n inclination to do so anymore. Right now, I'm refraining from speaking to her.

Looking back, I realize that I had lots and lots of doubts about her. I didn't fully trust her when she told me was autistic (I'm a little cautious about that), I felt like she was dumping problems on me really early, like issues related to depression and suicide only weeks in. It freaked me out, but I ignored it and told myself that my autism was affecting how I perceived these problems - I told myself that I was reacting the way I was because it was sudden, and unexpected. That and because I still didn't really know her all that well. I'd go to pick her up and feel "meh" before I got her and wonder if that meant I never liked her. I would There were times when she was literally in my arms and I was doubting wether or not I wanted to keep seeing her.

Now, I think I realize that I was very caught up in the idea of the relationship. That, and I was also lonely as well. I sort of led her on (I will say that there was a great connection, besides those doubts - when I was long distance, later on, and talking to her all of the time, most of my early doubts were never on my mind - the only issue was that during the day I would start feeling ambivalent about her and having doubts about my feelings, but then feeling great when we talked late into the night ... Earlier on, we would talk about our problems - it felt like we mutually understood a lot of them - like I said we're both autistic [shes also BPD]).

Is this a normal thing for aspies? Do we typically date people and ignore doubts and other issues about them, signs that we don't actually like them, just because we're lonely or caught up in things? Do we typically get back with these "exes" anyways, just because we're unable to imagine life without them (in my case I was on the phone with her and legit thought that I still had feelings for her because of the connection)

Also, I keep obsessing over the "relationship" and its giving me anxiety ... is that normal? Also, I know she's having a hard time and I kind of feel for her. TBH I kind of wish that things had worked out, so that I could have spent last weekend (a really bad one for her historically) and tried to make her feel better ...

ShyGirl7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2017, 9:18 pm

cato4797 wrote:
So I dated this girl (first girl I dated for this long!) over the summer from early to July to early-mid August, and then "resumed" things later for about a week, long distance. When things ended the first time, it felt like I imploded. I went from hoping for things to work out between us (I had literally said that the week before) to having no idea if I even liked her.

Over the next few weeks, I continued to talk to her. However, since then I've gradually more and more realized that I have n inclination to do so anymore. Right now, I'm refraining from speaking to her.

Looking back, I realize that I had lots and lots of doubts about her. I didn't fully trust her when she told me was autistic (I'm a little cautious about that), I felt like she was dumping problems on me really early, like issues related to depression and suicide only weeks in. It freaked me out, but I ignored it and told myself that my autism was affecting how I perceived these problems - I told myself that I was reacting the way I was because it was sudden, and unexpected. That and because I still didn't really know her all that well. I'd go to pick her up and feel "meh" before I got her and wonder if that meant I never liked her. I would There were times when she was literally in my arms and I was doubting wether or not I wanted to keep seeing her.

Now, I think I realize that I was very caught up in the idea of the relationship. That, and I was also lonely as well. I sort of led her on (I will say that there was a great connection, besides those doubts - when I was long distance, later on, and talking to her all of the time, most of my early doubts were never on my mind - the only issue was that during the day I would start feeling ambivalent about her and having doubts about my feelings, but then feeling great when we talked late into the night ... Earlier on, we would talk about our problems - it felt like we mutually understood a lot of them - like I said we're both autistic [shes also BPD]).

Is this a normal thing for aspies? Do we typically date people and ignore doubts and other issues about them, signs that we don't actually like them, just because we're lonely or caught up in things? Do we typically get back with these "exes" anyways, just because we're unable to imagine life without them (in my case I was on the phone with her and legit thought that I still had feelings for her because of the connection)

Also, I keep obsessing over the "relationship" and its giving me anxiety ... is that normal? Also, I know she's having a hard time and I kind of feel for her. TBH I kind of wish that things had worked out, so that I could have spent last weekend (a really bad one for her historically) and tried to make her feel better ...

1. Why do you not feel attracted to her? If she's physically-attractive and loves you, then this should be a non-issue.

If you worry about her, think about the relationship and her, then that means you do like her.

- If you didn't like her - you wouldn't care.

2. She told you she's autistic - because she loves you.

Even if she is pretending - she is so desperate to forge a bond with you, that's she's willing to say anything.

Regardless of whether she is pretending or is really autistic, you should give her a chance.

3. To be honest, I've never understood the concept of Romantic-partners "dumping their problems" onto other Romantic-partners.

Neurotypicals have problems with this, too.

They get into relationships, and then don't understand that they're supposed to sooth/comfort/protect the person who loves them.

No wonder most marriages end in divorce - since most people, for some reason, are so confused over this one.

- She sought out protection and comfort in your arms, and in your heart - she wanted to take refuge there, since she loves you and trusts you.

Bottom line is, you do like her - if you actually care this much and think about it.

She loves you, so I think you should give it a chance.

Be up front about these feelings and concerns to her - she what she says.

You may find it interesting. :D

cato4797
Raven
Raven

08 Oct 2017, 10:45 pm

ShyGirl7 wrote:
cato4797 wrote:

1. Why do you not feel attracted to her? If she's physically-attractive and loves you, then this should be a non-issue.

If you worry about her, think about the relationship and her, then that means you do like her.

- If you didn't like her - you wouldn't care.

2. She told you she's autistic - because she loves you.

Even if she is pretending - she is so desperate to forge a bond with you, that's she's willing to say anything.

Regardless of whether she is pretending or is really autistic, you should give her a chance.

3. To be honest, I've never understood the concept of Romantic-partners "dumping their problems" onto other Romantic-partners.

Neurotypicals have problems with this, too.

They get into relationships, and then don't understand that they're supposed to sooth/comfort/protect the person who loves them.

No wonder most marriages end in divorce - since most people, for some reason, are so confused over this one.

- She sought out protection and comfort in your arms, and in your heart - she wanted to take refuge there, since she loves you and trusts you.

Bottom line is, you do like her - if you actually care this much and think about it.

She loves you, so I think you should give it a chance.

Be up front about these feelings and concerns to her - she what she says.

You may find it interesting. :D

1. I do feel attracted to her ... physically. Very attracted.

2. Part of the problem is that I have no idea how I feel - I can't remember how I felt throughout most of it - I don't remember how I felt on certain nights, so I don't remember if I actually enjoyed being around her or if it was artificial (as in we often act artificial).

3. There’s been a lot of emotion there (she has BPD, and depression, and I was sinking into it as it fell apart, partially due to medications and the stress and anxiety of it all) , and at this point, if I ever did have feelings for her, they're gone. There's more to the situation and more to the doubts, I can pm if you want, but I'm just worried that we tend to date people we don't like.

4. while we were dating, i was often thinking about whether or not I should get out and stop dating. And there were times when I was with her when on some level I was faking emotion - and I’m not fully sure why

5. I will say that were a few things that made me think that I did like her - We had a strong connection, which I liked, there were things I found attractive about her personality that made her more sexually attractive to her. I also REALLY enjoyed the way she smelled - which some say is a sign.

6. There was a recent event that happened, that kind of changed the dynamic again, one last time. I did something that let her think (rightfully on her part, and and shamefully on mine) that we were back together, but I was not ready for that. I felt great being around her before that, but not after. Also there are things about her personality that I’ve realized I don’t like. I’d have to be friends with her first, and be on good terms with her, and feel like we’ve both improved in certain ways, including communication, before I’d feel comfortable doing that. Right now, I don’t feel like being friends is possible, even if we both wanted to be. And right now … I don’t feel like talking to her at all.

7. I met this girl on tinder - she didn’t me at all before and she was telling me stuff about herself very early on. Although we were both telling each other things.

Honestly, I wish I could go back to that, and I wish I could be friends at least. Most of the time when I was thinking about ending things, i didn’t want to because I didn’t want to be another “tourist” in her life. If i had ended things with her I would have friend zoned her, and seriously too. not just say be friends to be friends.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Oct 2017, 3:41 am

cato4797 wrote:

I would proceed with extreme caution. A relationship with a borderline person is dangerous and can devastate even a partner with high emotional intelligence. As an aspie you are even more likely to be taken advantage of.
If you feel some bad vibes, do not ignore them. Intuition is all about not noticing that you have actually noticed something. Do not force yourself to trust her if you are not feeling like that.
Sometimes Aspies can read through people's facades. I found out I can see nothing in another person's eyes but I read whole stories in their tension of muscles if I touch them.
I don't know what the majority of the people would do but I would not continue trying to build a relationship with a person I don't naturally trust.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ShyGirl7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2017, 7:07 am

magz wrote:
cato4797 wrote:

I would proceed with extreme caution. A relationship with a borderline person is dangerous and can devastate even a partner with high emotional intelligence. As an aspie you are even more likely to be taken advantage of.
If you feel some bad vibes, do not ignore them. Intuition is all about not noticing that you have actually noticed something. Do not force yourself to trust her if you are not feeling like that.
Sometimes Aspies can read through people's facades. I found out I can see nothing in another person's eyes but I read whole stories in their tension of muscles if I touch them.
I don't know what the majority of the people would do but I would not continue trying to build a relationship with a person I don't naturally trust.

As other Aspies have noted, those on AS tend to live with stress in their lives.

Aspies are almost constantly on guard, which has more to do with how their brain is wired than anything.

Just because you sense the tenseness in a person's muscles, does not mean you are reading something negative there - they are likely just nervous because they want you to like them.

If someone jumps through hoops to show you they love you, then the worst thing you can do is mistrust them anyway.

- Remember, largely the bane of Human existence comes from a disconnectedness from Humans not wanting to trust each other.

Turning down a girl who loves you because you "feel/think" you can't trust her, does not help move Humans forward - it holds them back.

In a way, 50% of Aspie problems on the Love and Friendship forums here, stem from other ND and NT's not trusting Aspies who are reaching out for contact and warmth.

So I say if he feels he does not trust her, after she rests in his arms and opens her heart to him - then he needs to consider that he is just feeling paranoia, and he needs to give her another chance.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Oct 2017, 7:26 am

I disagree.
Sorry, I have been hurt by abusive relationships. Severily. And I found a happy relationship. With ND, too. But the difference is enormous.
She is BPD. It's no good. BPD open their heart and jump through loops and then all of the sudden they blame you and hate you. And then the cycle repeats, with you or with someone else.
No, I would prefer no relationship at all over an abusive one.
Anyway, I didn't say run for your life. Yet. I just said - proceed with caution, there are some red flags.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 7:29 am

I say just listen to your gut. If you're wavering and unsure then that's probably for a good reason. Even non-ASD people get themselves in these kinds of relationships, you think maybe better the devil you know, that you'd rather be in an "ok" relationship than be alone, maybe no-one else will ever want to date you. Those kind of thoughts can keep you in a less-than-ideal relationship.

It usually takes time after the relationship has ended before you can really evaluate what you feel about the person. You start to look at things in a more clinical light and you'll usually end up thinking that they weren't right for you and it was right to end the relationship.

Whatever happens though you shouldn't "settle" just because you're scared of being alone, something else usually crops up.

cato4797
Raven
Raven

09 Oct 2017, 9:52 am

Thanks for the replies, honestly? But what about the questions I actually asked?

Do we typically get into relationships with people we don't like, and then miss them when they're gone?

MarissaKay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2017, 9:59 am

cato4797 wrote:
Thanks for the replies, honestly? But what about the questions I actually asked?

Do we typically get into relationships with people we don't like, and then miss them when they're gone?

I think almost everyone (Aspie or NT) at some point will miss someone when they're gone, even if they don't like them. I met my first boyfriend online and we met up. When we did, I realized that I had no attraction to him at all whatsoever. There were also aspects of his personality that came up that I realized I really didn't like about him, or just thought were completely incompatible with me. I tried to ignore all of that, thinking that I would've been shallow if I dumped him.

We ended the relationship a couple of years after that, having never met up again. I missed him at first, but then I realized what I missed was the familiarity of talking to him (we'd been talking for 5 years and "dating" for 4 at that point). It took me a couple of months to realize that since he and I had been talking for so long.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Oct 2017, 10:33 am

cato4797 wrote:

I didn't. My friend (allistic) did - the desire was so strong that he didn't find out they were incompatibile in too many other aspects. The relationship didn't last, ended with fighting and made him depressed for quite a long time. Now he has a girlfriend he both likes and loves.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 11:33 am

magz wrote:
I disagree.
Sorry, I have been hurt by abusive relationships. Severily. And I found a happy relationship. With ND, too. But the difference is enormous.
She is BPD. It's no good. BPD open their heart and jump through loops and then all of the sudden they blame you and hate you. And then the cycle repeats, with you or with someone else.
Anyway, I didn't say run for your life. Yet. I just said - proceed with caution, there are some red flags.

Ok I think that is enough stigma spreading about people with BPD. I don't doubt there are abusive people with the disorder, but BPD is not synonymous with 'abuser'.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Oct 2017, 12:26 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
magz wrote:
I disagree.

Ok I think that is enough stigma spreading about people with BPD. I don't doubt there are abusive people with the disorder, but BPD is not synonymous with 'abuser'.

So, you say, idealization and devaluation cycles in BPD are a myth like lack of empathy in ASD?
Well, maybe. One of my friends has been seriously harmed by a BPD boy she fell in love with but I may not know the whole story.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 9:20 am

I didn't like my husband at first meeting but after 25 years of marriage, I'll kill (theoretically) any female that comes within 3 feet of him. I adore that man now! He is the purpose of my existence. Of course, the kids are too. :heart:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 12:42 pm

magz wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
magz wrote:
I disagree.

So, you say, idealization and devaluation cycles in BPD are a myth like lack of empathy in ASD?
Well, maybe. One of my friends has been seriously harmed by a BPD boy she fell in love with but I may not know the whole story.

No I say people with that disorder are still people telling everyone to run away from anyone with the disorder as if they're a walking disease regardless of anything else just increases the stigma that BPD already has. People have been hurt in relationships by individuals with aspergers, does that mean everyone on the autism spectrum is horrible relationship material?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 12:44 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
I didn't like my husband at first meeting but after 25 years of marriage, I'll kill (theoretically) any female that comes within 3 feet of him. I adore that man now! He is the purpose of my existence. Of course, the kids are too. :heart:

I don't get it why would you marry someone you don't like? I mean I suppose its good you grew to like him, but what if you never did? Seems like a rather large risk.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 1:37 pm

I am guilty of this.

In my first relationship I started it mostly because I felt like I had to, I ended up getting more attatched then I should have and she ended it. After that I began to agree with her, we were a terrible match but I didn't see it at the time because I let emotions cloud my judgement.

I don't intend to let this happen again by being as rational as possible about relationship stuff. Currently I have something of a relationship going on with Lillikoi and this time I'm very sure that I like them. :D :heart:

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art