For metalheads here, what music do you like outside metal?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 11:30 pm

I myself like some of the neo-psychedelia stuff like The Growlers and Tame Impala, as well as older psychdelic rock. I also like The Alan Parsons project which I feel they were kind of a predecessor to electronic music which I like some of that as well. I also like post punk and other more obscure punk music I find, not a big fan of pop punk though but I like subgenres like goth rock and psychobilly. I also think I would like genuine folk music, I like a lot of folk metal and really its just adding metal elements to traditional folk music styles...but from the sound I would enjoy it without the metal elements added as well. So yeah I am a metalhead but I can hardly limit myself to metal as there is also a lot of awesome non-metal music. I certainly also like a lot of what is considered classic rock...I just kind of wonder what will be considered 'classic rock' when I'm like 60.

I also like rap when it has actual lyrics, not just a bunch of dumb thug life and sexist crap being glorified. I do like Eminem I think he's a really good rapper. Also immortal unique they released a very dark and disturbing song about gang culture which I thought was really good, but yeah they sure as hell don't romanticize it like a lot of rap music. But I kind of like the sound of it just hate a lot of the crappy lyrics a lot of rappers release.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 12:08 am

I like punk, especially hardcore punk since it tends to be more musically interesting than standard punk. Bad Religion are a band I have a lot of respect for and I have most of their albums. My favorite one would be Stranger Than Fiction due to the wide range of musical textures and inspired song structures on it. I even like The Gray Race and No Substance which tend to be overlooked by Bad Religion fans.

I also have Black Flag's first two albums and they are essential for any punk or even metal fan.
The riffs are twisted as f**k and Henry's rage is awesome. Public Image Ltd. are also the way to go for post punk. Johnny Rotten is mostly known for the Sex Pistols but PiL I think he is better in.

Another band I have a lot of respect for is Swans. They've been classified as a lot of things from No Wave to industrial to post punk. I've actually seen them twice live and even met Michael Gira when I saw them a year ago. Swans have an ever evolving sound (Hence the many categorizations) but what's always remained consistent with them are their powerful rhythms that are built on chunks of sound and feel like they can go on forever. They got me out of a musical slump and made me realize that I should embrace alternative music.

X's Los Angeles album is like The Doors playing punk music; Ray Manzarek produced as well as played on that album so that explains a lot. It must be heard to be believed.

Earlier this year, I listened to electronica and techno like Meat Beat Manifesto, Aphex Twin, and Moby. I haven't listened to them for a long while now but I will pick them back up.

I like a lot of quirky bands like Melvins, Primus, Clutch, and Tool. Melvins are sometimes classified as sludge metal but they also get called grunge or hardcore at times. Regardless, they are one of my most favorite bands and I saw them for the second time this year. King Buzzo's guitar playing has some of the best chunks of sound you will ever hear.

I'll listen to classic rock and old hard rock every now and then.

I will say I don't necessarily follow any music scene. I pretty much just follow the bands I like. For example, I'll look forward to Bad Religion's new album but I don't know what else is going on in the punk scene. It doesn't help that music is only considered fleeting entertainment in my area.

How do you discover different bands? I used to get guitar/rock music magazines at the mall before the bookstore in it closed down and that, in addition to the internet, is how I managed to find out about a lot of the bands I like. I also learned about some from people like my older cousins and the few people that weren't rednecks or 'gangstas' in my area. I actually first heard Primus and Bad Religion from the Tony Hawk Pro-Skater video games that my siblings played a lot. I didn't know about Napalm Death until I watched Beavis and Butthead! :P

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 1:39 am

Well how I have been discovering new music is I used to use a service called Last.fm where you could type in a genre or a band and it would play some simular stuff but since then I have use spotify instead. But yeah sometimes I will put it on a song or band playlist and if anything I haven't heard before that I like comes up I save it to my favorites. But yeah sometimes I hear something I like and look up the band and will put it on the artist playlist to try and find simular music and some times it will play awesome music I haven't heard or some stuff I don't like which I just skip...of course if you don't pay the 10 dollars a month for premium there is a limit on how many songs you can skip.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 2:33 am

I knew about Last.fm but never downloaded it. One of my co-workers really likes spotify and doesn't even buy CDs anymore because of it. I wonder if I am missing out?

I forgot to mention Lords of Acid under electronica. Pigface and Die Warzau I also really like. It's kind of scary knowing that kind of music existed when I was just a boy.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 7:18 am

I like a lot of things outside of metal. It'd take me way too long to write everything I've listened to and grown fond of over the years. But to mention a few, there's synthwave, psytrance and Japanese folk music.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 10:15 am

Mostly folk (Dark, Traditional, Neo-Medieval etc.)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 3:52 pm

I like crust punk and hardcore punk, as well as many of the sub genres that grew out of them (emo/'skramz', some metalcore, grindcore, etc.). I like some post-punk, especially gothic stuff like Bauhaus, and no-wave/noise rock like Teenage Jesus and The Jerks and early Sonic Youth. I like a lot of hip-hop (horrorcore, and a lot of 80s and 90s era hip-hop). I like some classical/romantic/modernist (symphonic) stuff, as well as some more recent symphonic music, especially movie scores. I like some industrial, as well as gabber and a bit of jungle/dnb/breakcore.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

tomcat_ha
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Oct 2017, 5:32 pm

i listen to a lot of different things ranging from crust punk to drum n bass to 70s turkish psychedelic folk rock and everything inbetween.

Lately i've been digging into minimal techno a bit and a new neofolk fase.
you can see what im listening to here: https://www.last.fm/user/tomcatha

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 8:28 pm

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2017, 5:42 pm

Outside of metal, I mainly listen to alternative rock of various kinds. I'm a big fan of artists such as Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, The Cure, Primus, Smashing Pumpkins and Queens Of The Stone Age. I also like singer-songwriters who are slightly less mainstream such as Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, PJ Harvey, Kurt Vile and Cat Power. Other genres I enjoy include jazz (John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock), punk (Rancid, Misfits, Black Flag), dream pop (Beach House, My Bloody Valentine) and prog (Pink Floyd, Rush, Porcupine Tree).

TehDoomzDay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2017, 9:02 pm

I like Irish and British traditional folk music (older Clannad, Lunasa, The Chieftains, Dervish, Peter Bellamy, Martin Carthy, Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, and Pentangles), Joy Division, Punk rock like Minor Threat or Dead Kennedys, The Misfits, Bauhaus, I also like other sorts of World Music and listen to different kinds of rock and alternative rock.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 1:35 am

I really like Lily Allen, lol I always hated pop music but its like she cheekily makes the best joke out of it. I just really love her stuff....probably the only pop style artist I really like.

I just love her sarcasm. Also her brother plays a character in game of thrones apparently.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 11:25 pm

Alternative Rock
Folk
Ambient
Showtunes

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 1:28 am

Marknis wrote:
I knew about Last.fm but never downloaded it. One of my co-workers really likes spotify and doesn't even buy CDs anymore because of it. I wonder if I am missing out?

I forgot to mention Lords of Acid under electronica. Pigface and Die Warzau I also really like. It's kind of scary knowing that kind of music existed when I was just a boy.

I haven't been buying any CD's or Vinyls lately, can't really afford to, plus I don't have a lot of room to store them. So I like spotify because I have been able to stay updated on recent albums and such from bands I like and listen to their music through that.

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 12:19 pm

You say "outside of metal" - I'm still findinge new genres unthe the metal umbrella, notably power metal.

But I listen to a massive variety. Recent non-metal music purchases include: Tonight Alive, Dean Martin, Smashmouth, P!nk, Daughter, Anais Mitchell & Jefferson Hamer, Avril Lavigne, Coheed & Cambria.

I've got some classical music on my playlist, some filmscore, some German Folk (Faun), Brittanic Folk (Les Compagnons du Gras Jambon, Pen Gollo), punk (staring with the Ramones), modern rock, classic rock, 80s (Kim Carnes, Depeche Mode, Cult, New Order), Hendrix, Cash, Rodriguez/Sugar Man, Queen, frat rock, alternative, indie, progressive metal... Also, what genre would you call Feuerschwanz (mods, don't censor that word)?