Police restrain 12 year old they thought was autistic

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 12:37 am

Victoria Police under fire over footage of cops restraining 12-year-old boy

Quote:
Victoria Police has come under fire after footage emerged of four officers forcibly holding down a 12-year-old boy at a train station while bystanders protested.

The boy, who the officers said at the time was autistic, had reportedly been on the roof of Bendigo railway station on Friday evening before he was caught by police.

Video published by 3AW today show onlookers protesting the severe action against the boy, who was pinned to the floor as he screamed and swore.

“He’s a child,” exclaimed the woman apparently making the video. “What, are you going to pepper spray and taser him next?

“He’s running around on the roof, he’s got autism, you don’t understand,” one officer responded.

“I can’t let him kick people and I can’t let him stand on top of the railway station where he’s going to hurt himself.”

The boy’s treatment has prompted outrage from disability advocates, though a Victoria Police spokeswoman this morning said the boy’s family had confirmed the boy does not have autism.

They diagnosed him because he was running on the roof. So if he was running around on the roof and they did not think he was autistic they would not have arrested him?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 2:57 am

well it says I can't veiw the article unless I pay for a subscription to their newsletter and no not going to do that so yeah guess I can't really post an opinion as I cannot view the article.

Like did you just assume everyone has a subscription for this or is in a position to pay for it just to read one article?

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 4:55 am

Quote:
"When our members are called to incidents like this the community expect them to act appropriately and decisively in order to maintain public safety," he said. "Police work is dangerous and incredibly challenging, and officers must always act to protect themselves and the community.

It's a 12 year old kid, not a fully armoured Ned Kelly, or the Man from Ironbark.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 10:29 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
well it says I can't veiw the article unless I pay for a subscription to their newsletter and no not going to do that so yeah guess I can't really post an opinion as I cannot view the article.

Like did you just assume everyone has a subscription for this or is in a position to pay for it just to read one article?

The article came right up sans paywall for me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2017, 6:24 pm

This reminds me of how in my opinion the public can overreact in trying to safeguard autistic children , such as by following these intrusive steps in detaining those whom might seem to be autistic . http://www.missingkids.com/autism In my opinion , not only does this unduly constrain the activities of those on the spectrum , but also as the OP illustrates might even lead to neurotypical children being affected as well , by overprotective figures. I therefore feel that no matter how well meaning it might be , such efforts contribute to we autists being infantilized . https://blog.theautismsite.com/infantilization-autism/

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 5:04 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

The article came right up sans paywall for me.

Yeah, in my experience, their paywall, has been, odd, like that, sometimes it blocks you, other times it doesn't.