I think I just set a new record...

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MarissaKay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2017, 7:34 am

I got a "we have not found you suitable for this position" email within a minute of me submitting my application online. Awesome. Totally met the criteria they asked for and everything, but whatever.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2017, 8:07 am

If it was only minutes after, they probably didn't even read it. I wouldn't take it too personal.

MorningSue
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Oct 2017, 5:34 am

A lot of places now use computer programs to sort through their applications, especially where there is a high volume of applicants.
These programs are designed to immediately dismiss an application for any number of reasons and it automatically generates a rejection letter/email. The use of a particular word or phrase, even a simple typo can have you excluded.

Don't take it to heart xx

Having said that, one minute?! That is awesome and hilariously ridiculous.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 5:46 am

That is too bizarre. I can't make my mind up whether it's funny or horrible.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 10:32 am

I would say it's the computer thing.

When I was looking for a job recently, I sent out literally hundreds of applications. Only 6 places actually responded at all.

wanderlust77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2017, 11:27 am

Yes, some palces use softwares that scan the applications for keywords and if you don't have a certain number of them, they will dismiss you, even if it's just wording problems.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 11:33 am

MarissaKay wrote:
I got a "we have not found you suitable for this position" email within a minute of me submitting my application online. Awesome. Totally met the criteria they asked for and everything, but whatever.

Try not to take it personally, that probably means they don't actually have that position availible and its an automatic email that gets sent out. If it got sent that quick its impossible someone evaluated your application and rejected it.

Just keep applying to as many places as you can, but yeah things like this are going to happen during the process of job searching so you have to try and not lose hope when it happens.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 8:37 pm

Wow, that's ridiculous.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 7:41 pm

It's as if we're being set up to fail. The key to employment is basically "be perfect".

I get the letters that say "we have decided to pursue other candidates" and "we have found people who more closely match the requirements". Portfolios are ignored.

No matter how many times I apply, I am hopeless because there is always somebody with more experience and a higher degree (Masters or PhD). It results in a gap in employment that gets bigger and bigger every day, and that gap causes rejection. People who have been laid off, or have had difficulty finding suitable employment are treated no differently than people who slack off all the time.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!