Page 6 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 2:44 pm

First of all, OP is far too eloquent to have a below average intelligence.

Second, IQ tests are generally bunk. A standardised test can’t measure intellect, especially if only a small portion of the world even literate enough to understand one. IQ tests also don’t measure social and emotional intelligence and those are pretty important as well.

Lastly, I think IQ tests only really matter when it comes to diagnosing an intellectual disability but that doesn’t make someone “unintelligent”. They have an intellect but they sometimes struggle with it. It’s just like how I struggle with empathy but I still have the capacity for empathy. Does that make sense?

Rukkus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Nov 2017, 9:08 am

I tested average. But aspies have special talents that they excel at, and mine to the point with electronics that I was jokingly called a "savant", but still average making errors all the time.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 11:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The kids who write in "kids crater" are probably "advanced" for their age. They have Asperger's, primarily. Sometimes, Asperger's is manifested by enhanced writing ability.

I was a very good reader and speller when I was very young--12th grade reading level in 6th grade----but my writing was probably "average," and it was sloppy.

The Marine Guy's posts are maybe better than mine sometimes LOL-----and I have a consistent IQ in the 110's.

LOL I was trolling AOL chatrooms when I was 12. I never posted on message boards then. These days kids are young as preteens. You have to be at least 13 to use social media but I know kids younger than that use Facebook and stuff. I doubt they're all autistic.

Quote:
First of all, OP is far too eloquent to have a below average intelligence.

Well I'll take that as a compliment. It's when people are talking to me having conversations is when they start to think I am slow because of how many times they have to explain things or me not grasping things. Even one of my online friends think I am dumb because of me not always getting things and how many times he has had to explain something. Maybe it's not my social skills after all if someone stops talking to me, maybe they just thought I was dumb and lot of people don't like dumb people.

Plus I was never advanced like other aspies were. I was always academically behind even though I picked up with reading fast and writing by my preteens. But my work needed to be modified, I was not good in abstract things and I thought that was Asperger's because I was told aspies are very concrete but then I find online it's the opposite. I actually found it's slow learners who are very concrete and they excel at things when it's very concrete. So they can sound very intelligent too an know lot of stuff. Kids post intellectual things here, I would not have been able to do that. They all sound like adults while I sounded like an 11 year old online when I was 17 because of the feedback I have been given back then. No way would I have been that intellect at age 12 or 13 though I could still post online in today times. Back then I didn't know how to do it because I was internet illiterate lol. I only knew how to use chatrooms for AOL but not for Internet Exploror or any other browser. I didn't even know how to actually look things up online for something specific until my mid twenties. It would not occur top me then s a young adult to just look something up if I am curious about something so I remember a member here was a jerk to me about it when I asked him how does he know someone who sang the star bangled banner song is autistic and he took it as me attacking him and saying if I was truly curious I would have done my research and did the homework for me. I have hated him since because he never apologized. This was back in 2007. That member isn't around anymore and I still have him on my bad list.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 9:09 pm

Further to my previous post, I think the fact I failed university is because no one else I knew in my family had attended before and had no tips for how I would cope or if I had the chance to prevail (i say that because it was not study oriented at all and purely how well you got on with your peers in the freshers year). I had been spoonfed the answers from a learner support adviser or SEN team member which set the mood for the rest of school life until college where that was the true sense of independence from needing help which was easy enough since it was all coursework.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 9:10 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Anyone here who was in special ed and had academic issues and was never at the top of the class? Did anyone ever have to have their work modified? Was your IQ average or below or low average?

I was okay in high school and college. My work was modified, and the times I asked for it to be modified were the times I was taking advantage of the system to get a better grade, so that I don't fail the tests. I felt guilty after all of that, because I knew I was smart enough to go without the assistance.

As for now, I don't feel unintelligent in the factors of common things like school work or getting a job done; that I'm alright with. What I do feel unintelligent in is coping with being overly emotional and being childish in socializing and childish in decision making.

HughDYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2017, 8:41 am

why do you need high iq

AntisocialButterfly
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2017, 3:06 pm

I have always been considered to be reasonably intelligent, but tbh I have never felt that way. I cannot do mental arithmetic or basic times tables still no matter how many different ways I try to learn them, I take ages to subtract etc in my head and often have to give up.

Someone also said changing fractions into decimals, I had to do that too, fractions confused the hell out of me! Why can't it just be 0.something and be done with it *grumbles*.

I am also terrible at spelling, helariously so. I had to get given a phonetic dictionary in primary school because I often couldn't even work out the first letter let alone the rest! I had teachers rip up my work because they said the spelling was so bad it wasn't worth reading.

I also struggled with vauge questions and had to be given a formula to work out how to answer many exam questions because I would just write down everything I knew hoping to say the right thing at some point! Had a tutor at one point to help me because the teacher refused to.

Despite all of this I now work as a programmer xD so goes to show you shouldn't let those things stop you! Everyone has something they are good at, what is considered useful in our society at the moment is very biased.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Dec 2017, 3:54 am

I have dyslexia & other learning issues & struggled in most of my classes & received accommodations as a result. I even went to a school for dyslexia from the middle of 6th through 8th grade. I do NOT have a special skill/strength/talent that us Aspies are supposed to have. I don't know my IQ but I know I'm stupid compared to the average Aspie.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 2:38 pm

HughDYork wrote:
why do you need high iq

People don't like stupid people. They don't care if you are slow but if you are intellectually disabled, they give a damn more because it's a disability and being slow is not so they make it out to be your fault.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Buc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2017, 3:01 pm

I'm average intelligence with low anxiety. Developing a lack of worry was my education. In my second career, I figured out how to neurofocus. From there, I took things from start to finish no problem, as long as I neurofocused on one thing. Now, I'm bored out of my mind. I have everything running efficiently and a shedload of free time. I keep taking on new projects to fill my time but it ends up affecting my regular job, so I go back to doing one thing. Everyone tells me I need a girlfriend, which is almost as sickening as too much free time.

My goal is to meet people like me. Where are the successful people with autism who aren't bragging about their IQ?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 3:13 pm

I'm quasi-successful, and I never brag about my IQ---because there's nothing to brag about.....

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 6:45 pm

I'm sure that most of the other members here are smarter than me. There are some threads that I don't join in, because people are discussing things in a very technical and scientific way. A way that goes over my head.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 6:47 pm

Schultz was smart enough to own a factory in Germany.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 6:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I guess I'm pretty smart.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 7:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

And a toy factory, at that!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 7:43 pm

Indeed.....