Page 7 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2017, 12:09 pm

This Christmas my father gave my mother a kind of race-horse themed poker board game made out out of wood that he built entirely by himself. My dad had built some pretty cool things with woodworking before, like my own bed when I was a teenager, but we were all really blown away by his skill and talent.

My dad only has a grade 7 education. Like many people in his day here in Cape Breton he made a living by being a fisherman after leaving school. How is it that so many people in my family have so much creative skill and talent that goes virtually unrecognized by the world? Seems the only way to be recognized around here is to play the fiddle or sing songs about coal miners.

I can tell you one thing, though. A few ten-thousand people in Nova Scotia right now didn't seem to have the intelligence to stock up on supplies or at least get a generator for the horrific storm we had on Christmas Day that destroyed the power. :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 4:07 pm

I think I might well have a sub-normal performance intelligence. things seem harder for me to do than your average joe, takes me longer to pick things up. but I have a fairly high verbal intelligence so I "present well" and give the impression of having some smarts. but it seems illusory to me at least.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 5:16 am

auntblabby wrote:
I think I might well have a sub-normal performance intelligence. things seem harder for me to do than your average joe, takes me longer to pick things up. but I have a fairly high verbal intelligence so I "present well" and give the impression of having some smarts. but it seems illusory to me at least.

Same thing here. Only ever did one official test and never got to know the results . However on online tests I always do much better verbally than non-verbally/performance wise. Performance wise I seem to average "Well below average".
To use a baseball analogy I regard myself as someone who bats .300 in a training game but .220 in a proper game.
When it comes to the practical application of intelligence something is definitely missing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 3:50 pm

^^^ it has been said that at least when young, that intelligence is malleable to nurture, so I wonder if the psychiatric people who would be tasked with helping developing kids enhance their natural intelligence, that they should concentrate on raising performance intelligence, because without that, it is like a car engine that can't produce any horsepower, the car won't go or will go but feebly....

Alexinwonderland
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jan 2018, 10:16 am

I have NLD so I am not an "aspie" , but I was in special ed throughout my whole schooling, especially for STEM subjects. Maths and science have always been extremely difficult for me to grasp. My grades were waaaaaay below average for STEM subjects and average or on occasion above average for subjects I enjoyed like social sciences and creative writing. I've always needed help organising essays though even on subjects I enjoy. I've never been gifted but I do have high emotional intelligence I believe because I love animals and I am generally a very sensitive person.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2018, 9:50 pm

I stopped science subjects before my O level year. I think I had got 15-17% on the last biology,chemistry and physics exams I took.
My Maths was slightly better but still not that good. The biggest difficulty being with geometry (very poor at that).

AspieAirways
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jan 2018, 6:05 pm

I was in special ed from elementary through high school. I also had special accommodations in college. It was mainly for math related classes. I never had any special accommodations at job though (I never had one that needed it). I was only recently diagnosed as being on the spectrum, before that I was diagnosed as having ADHD. My recent diagnosis affirmed that as well as diagnosing me with other processing disorders.

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2018, 1:30 am

idk maybe

tarunb
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2018, 4:10 am

League_Girl wrote:
Anyone here who was in special ed and had academic issues and was never at the top of the class? Did anyone ever have to have their work modified? Was your IQ average or below or low average?

People still think I am dumb and others think I am smart but I often feel maybe I am not very smart but yet my IQ was tested at 99 in 5th grade. My husband doesn't think I am dumb and thinks I am very smart and he has known an actual slow learner and I am nothing like that person. Plus I don't think I am really that logical because of stupid things I do. My vacuum got clogged at work so it didn't occur to me to try and unclog it myself so instead I took it to the office and set it there for it to get fixed and the fact I couldn't figure out on my own the reason why my parents would need to use one of the closets in my bedroom is because they have no room for all their clothes out in their RV or cottage without asking them why. Any other aspies here not very logical either?

My reason for academic issues was due to language impairment and then it was because I was a visual learner and the work was too abstract so it had to be made concrete. But maybe lot of people just don't want to see anyone as dumb so they say they are smart and refuse to believe someone isn't that smart so they say everyone learns differently, everyone is good at different things.

I was tested as having a IQ of 106 at 11 years old i never had developmental delays but when i began school for the longest time i wasnt verbal, just stared very blankly and apatheticly never smilled or engaged in play. I always struggled with all my subjects at primary. And was mostly in lower sets in school. I always and still get very average/mediocre/poorgrades and alot of my peers always said i was stupid and probably did infact see me as uninteligent.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 2:41 pm

when it came to numbers I was below average, same for the timed spatial test. verbal was the only thing I did well on, so well that now and then i'd score an aggregate in the gifted range, but more often I dinged below average. how I felt on test day was a big determinant of my performance. I think IQ tests [as conceived of by lewis terman et al] are just the dominant class' way of parsing the people underneath them for [what they consider to be] societal usefulness, and a highly flawed way at that - separating the bright cattle from the rest and lumping the ones who just didn't test well [but were really bright otherwise] in with the rest of the dullards to be marginalized, enslaved via various means, or put on cattle trucks to be slaughtered in useless war. so when you hear some stuffed shirt Social Darwinist braggart make snide remarks about the "useless eaters," IMHO that is the mark of the same kind of eugenicist booster who invented the IQ tests.

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

15 Jan 2018, 6:53 pm

I've never been in special ed, but when I was in first grade my school said I needed an aide who worked one-on-one with me because of my behavioral problems (mostly tantrums and meltdowns). I was always of average intelligence. I had no language problems and am not a visual thinker, so I did mostly fine with schoolwork. My main problems were at gym and in graphic communication, because my motor skills are impaired. Fortunately, I was allowed to skip P.E. lessons in primary school (that was done for everyone´s safety, as I had very violent meltdowns out of frustration in that class) and the teacher of graphic communication seemed to understand my situation and she gave me passing marks even when my drawings were embarassingly messy and ugly.

Autism Quotient: 30
Aspie quiz: 123/200 aspie; 75/200 NT
RAADS: 135