Page 1 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 3:02 am

My IQ is around 91 or so. Below average.

Eliza_Day
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2017, 8:30 pm

I've taken a few IQ tests over the years ( from quiz books) and I always score between 125 and 135. I haven't been officially tested though.

I honestly don't know whether I'm intelligent or not because of all the conflicting opinions regarding my aptitude when I was at school.
My autism wasn't discovered until recently, so I didn't get the help I needed when I was younger. I had a stammer too, which made people - including teachers - think that I was stupid. At the time, I believed them because I didn't have any other frame of reference so I couldn't challenge them.

My academic performance was inconsistent, and dependent on how I was treated. I'm a "reactive" person, and if a teacher encouraged me and told me that I was intelligent, I would feel confident in my abilities and at those times would be top of the class. However, if a teacher called me stupid and that I'd "never do well", I'd be at the bottom. They could never really categorise me - I was either smart or dumb. As you can imagine, that was very confusing to me and I always felt on edge.

I also had difficulty processing information that wasn't written down, and couldn't keep up with the teachers when they were dictating. I did try to take notes but couldn't simultaneously listen and write at the same time, which of course made me look even more stupid! :(

I left school with no qualifications, and although I went back to college several times when I was in my twenties, I had to drop out because I couldn't handle the social interactions. I'd like to study with the Open University at some point because you do it from home and don't have face to face contact.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 9:18 pm

Whenever I get evaluated every few years I'm always told I have an invalid IQ. My verbal IQ is the lowest subscore, my performance IQ is the highest. Low processing speed and higher working memory. But the working memory thing is strictly on the test and doesn't transfer to real life.

hellhole
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Oct 2017, 11:21 am

League_Girl wrote:
My vacuum got clogged at work so it didn't occur to me to try and unclog it myself so instead I took it to the office and set it there for it to get fixed and the fact I couldn't figure out on my own the reason why my parents would need to use one of the closets in my bedroom is because they have no room for all their clothes out in their RV or cottage without asking them why.

At worst, that just sounds like you weren't thinking about what they were saying in the moment, sounds more like auditory processing disorder to me.

"vulnerable narcissistic defenses w/ mild borderline traits"; Body Dysmorphic Disorder, (self-diagnosed).

Our internal representation of reality: (http://bit.ly/2BJuj5o)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 11:38 am

When I was about 15, I was floundering so badly in mathematics that my parents bought me some private tuition to stop me sinking. I think I'd have sunk without it, but as it was I got a mediocre-grade O level. I eventually went on to get a maths A level, but it was the lowest possible grade, like both my other A levels. Don't know if that means I'm thick or not. The judge who did the Rolling Stones (i.e. Mick & Keith's) drugs bust case said they'd "done well academically" - and all they had was O levels.....I had more of those than they had (O levels I mean, not drugs). I tend to look upon myself as bright in some areas, thick in others. I'm quite good at English and a few science things, so a lot of people think I'm very intelligent.

As for IQ, I don't recognise it as having much meaning, it's too reductionist. Like one of the MENSA people pointed out, Einstein might have done badly on such a test because he would have been able to think of several valid answers to each question, but might not have been good at working out which answer was the "right" one. There's a bit of that about me, but I expect with IQ I'd mostly do well in some categories but not in others.

Last edited by ToughDiamond on 11 Oct 2017, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 11:48 am

i iz nawt unintellyjent i iz sooper smarrt!1!

Okay, seriously... I've been told that I'm very bright and intelligent. Maybe it's because I did a lot of reading as a kid.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 12:46 pm

hellhole wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
My vacuum got clogged at work so it didn't occur to me to try and unclog it myself so instead I took it to the office and set it there for it to get fixed and the fact I couldn't figure out on my own the reason why my parents would need to use one of the closets in my bedroom is because they have no room for all their clothes out in their RV or cottage without asking them why.

At worst, that just sounds like you weren't thinking about what they were saying in the moment, sounds more like auditory processing disorder to me.

I thought it was only about with hearing people talk, not with coming up with solutions on your own when things go wrong or when someone needs something like needing to use one of your closets. I heard my mom telling me she and my dad would need to use one of the closets for their clothes and right away I wondered why and asked. I went into work one day and my vacuum was a mess and the magnet part was covered in medal junk so I knew someone else used it and the vacuum was clogged when I tried using it so I brought it to the office and left it there with a note.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2017, 1:19 pm

IQ and intelligent are simply a mental bar that people place on thems elves as I have read from the book mindset. This mental trap convinces the person that they are not capable of anything more. If you are intelligent, wait until you slip up and then we'll see that defeatist attitude rise up. For me I am a mistake, in that my trip ups are only steps ascending up to new potential always changing. I seek that interesting possibility so that when I look back from my death, it will be a story worth telling.

I've migrated over to autismforums. PM me for anything, although I'm better contacted over at autismforums.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 8:42 am

I often described myself as "book smart, life dumb" but, as my opportunities increased, I was able to change this. I still have a lot of experience to make up, but I am on my way to a good life.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 9:29 am

I would say I'm a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to intelligence. My verbal intelligence is in the upper extreme ,but my non-verbal/PIQ is well below average.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 11:16 am

League_Girl wrote:
Anyone here who was in special ed and had academic issues and was never at the top of the class? Did anyone ever have to have their work modified? Was your IQ average or below or low average?

People still think I am dumb and others think I am smart but I often feel maybe I am not very smart but yet my IQ was tested at 99 in 5th grade. My husband doesn't think I am dumb and thinks I am very smart and he has known an actual slow learner and I am nothing like that person. Plus I don't think I am really that logical because of stupid things I do. My vacuum got clogged at work so it didn't occur to me to try and unclog it myself so instead I took it to the office and set it there for it to get fixed and the fact I couldn't figure out on my own the reason why my parents would need to use one of the closets in my bedroom is because they have no room for all their clothes out in their RV or cottage without asking them why. Any other aspies here not very logical either?

My reason for academic issues was due to language impairment and then it was because I was a visual learner and the work was too abstract so it had to be made concrete. But maybe lot of people just don't want to see anyone as dumb so they say they are smart and refuse to believe someone isn't that smart so they say everyone learns differently, everyone is good at different things.
The lowest I've veer tested on a iq test is 130-140 ish. but Intelligence isn't everything various problems can make you seem less smart than you test as. and in general Iq tests are complete BS unless you are completely normal.

HughDYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2017, 11:25 am

IQ f**k Q. Ive never been proud of it. I wanted something other to be proud of...

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2017, 2:20 pm

#ignored lol

I've migrated over to autismforums. PM me for anything, although I'm better contacted over at autismforums.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 2:22 pm

Ragnahawk wrote:
#ignored lol
The narrative you are pushing is fundamentally defeatist in and of itself.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 3:02 pm

I did some online iq tests and always scored in the 80-90 range but can't be sure if they are legit or not, but I crumble under pressure and time constraints that could negatively impact the score. Same with school, any situation that I needed to complete a task within a deadline I would fail, including exams which I always failed at resulting in low grades below the national average. I feel like i could have excelled in maths if time weren't an issue. I'd do well at one subject but not generally good at all of them. Never read any books because reading things always gave me a headache and sometimes does nowadays

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2017, 3:24 pm

Pieplup wrote:
Ragnahawk wrote:
#ignored lol
The narrative you are pushing is fundamentally defeatist in and of itself.

The topic is descriptive of a defeatist, those people who rate themselves with IQ or term themselves as intelligent or unintelligent.