Page 1 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 2:23 pm

Anyone here who was in special ed and had academic issues and was never at the top of the class? Did anyone ever have to have their work modified? Was your IQ average or below or low average?

People still think I am dumb and others think I am smart but I often feel maybe I am not very smart but yet my IQ was tested at 99 in 5th grade. My husband doesn't think I am dumb and thinks I am very smart and he has known an actual slow learner and I am nothing like that person. Plus I don't think I am really that logical because of stupid things I do. My vacuum got clogged at work so it didn't occur to me to try and unclog it myself so instead I took it to the office and set it there for it to get fixed and the fact I couldn't figure out on my own the reason why my parents would need to use one of the closets in my bedroom is because they have no room for all their clothes out in their RV or cottage without asking them why. Any other aspies here not very logical either?

My reason for academic issues was due to language impairment and then it was because I was a visual learner and the work was too abstract so it had to be made concrete. But maybe lot of people just don't want to see anyone as dumb so they say they are smart and refuse to believe someone isn't that smart so they say everyone learns differently, everyone is good at different things.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 2:30 pm

I want to raise my hand, but I test super smart. Unofficially, everyone knows I can be a knucklehead.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 3:30 pm

I've never been ahead of my peers or top of the class. Through school I always needed extra support with my work. I struggled to keep up when first learning to read and write. After I learnt to write, I was rather good with spelling and punctuation, but every kid has something they are good at, and my strength happened to be writing. But I wasn't top of the class at it, and unfortunately my handwriting was appauling. :(
I struggled with maths, science and technology, but I was better in art, english and drama.

As an adult I've been told a lot that I'm emotionally bright, empathy-wise.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 3:46 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Anyone here who was in special ed

No
League_Girl wrote:
had academic issues and was never at the top of the class?

My grades would suggest I had some issue - poor. Only ever top of the class when I stood on the desk ( joke ) , not even close to top of the class.
League_Girl wrote:
Did anyone ever have to have their work modified?

Don't know what that means , sorry
League_Girl wrote:
Was your IQ average or below or low average?

Never done an IQ test and don't want to either , My GF thinks I have above average IQ , I seriously doubt it ( I'm average at best but feel a lot lower ). Not sure if it's part of an ASD assessment - I hope not.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 4:00 pm

I did fairly well in school....but wasn't really at the "top" of my class.

I had a 131 IQ at 15----but always in the 110s in adulthood.

Was in "special schools" most of the time for behavioral issues.

A 99 IQ is considered eminently average, not below average.

Some people consider me intelligent; others consider me a dummy.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 4:03 pm

i don't know my IQ and i don't want to find out.

it certainly makes me feel dumb when i seem to spend so much time playing catch-up with the others. so my grades were never fantastic. usually average. often poor.

like i have to play a game according to rules i was never taught. even here i don't seem to be immune.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 4:14 pm

My IQ may be 115, but most people still consider me to be a d!ckcheesing Sonofab!tch, since I don’t have a lick of common sense.

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2017, 4:27 pm

I've always been extremely smart, in both ways you mention. However I've always had terrible speech skills and would never work out problems on paper. That I suffered for.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 4:57 pm

I've never been in spec ed, and I have been top of the class in Norwegian, ESL, social science and religion.

But I also have been struggling with maths since elementary school and I only got through junior high math because the teacher let me since I made a real effort. I wasn't good enough to pass.
My skills in math, chemistry and physics are not good enough for me to be able to graduate high school.

I was never good at arts, needlework or woodwork, and I sucked at PE.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 5:05 pm

League_Girl wrote:
My reason for academic issues was due to language impairment and then it was because I was a visual learner and the work was too abstract so it had to be made concrete. But maybe lot of people just don't want to see anyone as dumb so they say they are smart and refuse to believe someone isn't that smart so they say everyone learns differently, everyone is good at different things.

I'm a teacher. I see every day that everyone has things they're good at and things they're not good at. Not everyone thinks in a way that leads to test taking, and test taking measures...nothing? Ability to take tests but not to function in real life?

I'm curious, what are specific things teachers have done to modify work and make it more concrete that work for you? The other day another teacher was talking about a struggling student, and from the things that were said it sounded to me like the student could be on the spectrum, undiagnosed. I suggested making work more concrete, then I got yelled at because "what is more concrete than directions written on a piece of paper?" Um, a lot of things if you have processing issues with reading, words are abstract...

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 5:19 pm

^ I know that wasn't aimed at me, but if I can answer it too, there was one thing that was done for me in high school that did help with one particular problem. One of the many math things I had problems with, was fractions. The teacher allowed me to turn them into decimal point numbers instead, and that made it possible for me to do those tasks.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 5:41 pm

I am not intellectually disabled but I was never at the top of my class. I got mostly C's and B's.

High Functioning Autism is not equivalent to high intelligence as it is defined as average to high intelligence. Aspergers used to be considered a form if not equivalent to High Functioning Autism. Now that Aspergers is declining as a diagnostic label and is a colloquial term the definition is morphing into genius or savant intelligence.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 6:07 pm

starcats wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I'm a teacher. I see every day that everyone has things they're good at and things they're not good at. Not everyone thinks in a way that leads to test taking, and test taking measures...nothing? Ability to take tests but not to function in real life?

I'm curious, what are specific things teachers have done to modify work and make it more concrete that work for you? The other day another teacher was talking about a struggling student, and from the things that were said it sounded to me like the student could be on the spectrum, undiagnosed. I suggested making work more concrete, then I got yelled at because "what is more concrete than directions written on a piece of paper?" Um, a lot of things if you have processing issues with reading, words are abstract...

Only classes I was able to do on my own were Spanish, art, choir, and Drama. I never needed help in those or anything modified.

I didn't have to do all the work everyone was given because it was too abstract and when we would have tests where you read a textbook and then do the test by answering questions, all the kids who were on the IEP would go back to the resource room and we would do the test together. The teacher would basically tell us the answers and we write it down and to me that was cheating and I didn't deserve that good grade. Also in Literature because I had a hard time understanding the stories in there, my teacher would read the story too and write the assignment and have me copy it. I was also given a different book to read in English that was easier for me to understand and I was able to do that on my own without help. I didn't do any algebra in high school because I wasn't learning it so I did easier math. There was no geometry or algebra for me. They did give everyone in special ed some test in my freshman year to see where we are at and I had a level of a 10 12 year old in math and reading comprehension and everything else. I never saw those results until I was an adult when I found it with my other school records and medical files. Plus I didn't have any timed tests and I was allowed to plagiarize than being made to come up with my own words because I found it hard to come up with my own words for something when doing reports and research.

I feel I didn't deserve the honor roll or the good grades so I never counted those. So saying I got straight A's means nothing. I got C's mostly or B's when I was a kid and this was back in elementary school before I had help. Then by 7th grade I was getting straight F's due to the school work being too hard so I never finished it to turn in because I couldn't get it done so that was when all that help started.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

09 Oct 2017, 6:10 pm

I don't technically fit in this category, but I thought I'd reply because I have NVLD. So, I have always felt stupid in math. My PIQ actually is in the high-average range and I've gotten through calculus, but I've struggled greatly in math all my life. My PIQ was 17 points lower than my VIQ, and more specifically, my perceptual organization (visual-spatial skills) score was 35 points lower than my vocabulary score. As a scientist, I have always felt inadequate due to my math deficits. If my math abilities were at the level of my other skills, I might have been able to be a physicist or passed the MCAT and been a doctor. I try not to be bitter, but had I been diagnosed as a child like I should have been, I might have been able to advance more by receiving help. I always tested at benchmark, so my teachers didn't think anything was wrong. Like, on a standardized test in 1st grade, I placed at the 50th percentile in math, which was average. But I was 99th percentile in language. If a child's scores are that discrepant, something's probably going on!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 2:10 am

I've always been in special ed. I tried mainstreaming when entering the 8th grade, but fell behind rapidly and went back into special ed the 2nd semester. My intelligence iq is okay. But my performance iq is not so good.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 3:02 am

My IQ is around 91 or so. Below average.