I play Sims and I’m an aspie, is that weird?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lucas173451
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2017, 4:52 pm

And my Sims act neurotypical

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 9:31 pm

I don't think it's weird. The Sims are fun. Wouldn't it be interesting though if they programed ASD Sims???

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 1:47 am

I'm another Aspie who plays The Sims. I started playing as a kid, when there was only the original Sims (I think before there were even any expansion packs), and still play today.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 7:28 am

Why would an Aspie playing The Sims be weird in any sense of the word?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 7:36 am

I played The Sims for years, I really enjoyed it.

And about them acting NT -- needing a lot socializing or they suffer -- it's not that different from being able to enjoy watching movies and TV shows where all the characters are NT but I'm enjoying the story anyway.

I mostly enjoyed building the houses and making them how I wanted them to be. Keeping the occupants happy was an annoyance, lol. I was more into the houses.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2017, 12:56 pm

No way. I play Sims too.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 1:02 pm

There is an autistic sim youtuber but I don't know his name.

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

11 Oct 2017, 3:12 pm

I also play The Sims...until I get depressed about the implications that I'm playing a life sim. :lol: In TS3 creating an Aspie Sim wasn't too hard with the Neurotic + Loner traits; I wish they'd bring back Neurotic in TS4.

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 3:17 pm

I've been a total "simmer" for years now. I don't think it's that weird for aspies. In The Sims games virtually building relationships, getting good jobs, getting married and having kids is usually a lot easier and more rewarding than it is in real life. And a lot more fun, too. :P Even if your Sims have aspie-like traits (loner, geeky, childish, hot-headed), they can still have happy and productive lives if you want them to. Of course, you also be cruel and see what happens when you completely mess things up, but I'd almost rather do that to real people. :twisted:

I have a channel on YouTube under the username Simaginary Friend. It contains videos of games from the Sims 2 to 4, The Sims Medieval and Spore. I'm planning to get the Sims 4 Dogs and Cats when it comes out next month. :)

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 11:58 am

I used to play the sims. I don't think it's weird for an aspie to play sims, after all a lot of aspies like video games.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 1:06 pm

Keladry wrote:
I don't think it's weird. The Sims are fun. Wouldn't it be interesting though if they programed ASD Sims???

Yeah, I've thought of something similar before - it would be cool to have a game similar to the Sims, but with Aspie characters. You could choose your characters' autistic traits and special interests, and you'd have to take care of their need to stim, help them avoid sensory overload, etc. :D

And no, I don't think it's weird.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 8:49 pm

TheAP wrote:
Keladry wrote:

Yeah, I've thought of something similar before - it would be cool to have a game similar to the Sims, but with Aspie characters. You could choose your characters' autistic traits and special interests, and you'd have to take care of their need to stim, help them avoid sensory overload, etc. :D

And no, I don't think it's weird.

That would actually be pretty cool. I wish they would do that! (but then there probably wouldn't be enough interest in it overall for them to develop it ;( )

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 3:53 am

TheAP wrote:
Keladry wrote:

As cool as that idea sounds, the problem with it is that it's an idea that's not likely to attract a large audience. Or worse yet, if it did somehow attract a large audience, it'd be the "wrong" kind of audience, so to say. With the rather nasty stigma that's still attached to autism and Asperger's to this day, I can't see too many good things that would follow.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 8:34 am

whatamievendoing wrote:
TheAP wrote:
Keladry wrote:

As cool as that idea sounds, the problem with it is that it's an idea that's not likely to attract a large audience. Or worse yet, if it did somehow attract a large audience, it'd be the "wrong" kind of audience, so to say. With the rather nasty stigma that's still attached to autism and Asperger's to this day, I can't see too many good things that would follow.

Yes, I know. I just thought it would be interesting.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 9:03 am

TheAP wrote:
whatamievendoing wrote:

Yes, I know. I just thought it would be interesting.

Fair enough.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 9:09 am

Keladry wrote:

You could build-in some traits yourself, when creating a new character in the game. In the creation section where you choose greater or lesser degrees of sociability, among other things, you could just give them very low need for that kind of thing. You will get a Sim who doesn't fade away and die just because you didn't get other Sims to knock on his door and hang out with him, lol. It can be useful anyway to set up a Sim with low needs for the usual things, as it's easier to keep that Sim content.