EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 8:31 am

the_phoenix wrote:
EzraS wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
That's one of my dreams--to be a gentleman scholar......

Yes, I see you as making a fine gentleman scholar, kraftiekortie ... 8)

What is a gentleman scholar?

There's an old saying, "You're a gentleman and a scholar."

... and Ezra,

you are a gentleman and a scholar. 8)

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 3:38 pm

EzraS wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
ASS-P wrote:
...You had an infrastructure to draw on, I'm sure, and a world/status that would back you up.

rwho222"]I don't know what to tell you, except that I see no way out of your situation. Even if you did go to school to be a gentleman scholar of some kind, how would you pay for classes? Jr colleges can be just as expensive if not more than a 4 year school.

With regard to the help I had, if you have an application, stamp, and a mail box, you've got it. With online applications now, you don't even need the last two.

What infrastructure are you imagining here? The only thing my HS guidance councilor did was give me some advice on schools that had programs I was considering. They took no active steps to get me accepted or enrolled.

What would you say was more difficult, getting into college or the college courses once you were in college? In other words if someone is unable to handle the process of getting into college, is it likely they would also be unable to handle college courses?

Getting in wasn't hard, just tedious. Forms to fill out and etc, but I really dont see what ASS Ps issue is. As for "handling" college courses, well, for me the most challenging were calculus and physics (I was a biology major) but as long as I worked I did fine. The reason most people dont succede is not usually lack of ability. Its usually lack of dicipline and effective time management.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 5:54 pm

drwho222 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
ASS-P wrote:
...You had an infrastructure to draw on, I'm sure, and a world/status that would back you up.

rwho222"]I don't know what to tell you, except that I see no way out of your situation. Even if you did go to school to be a gentleman scholar of some kind, how would you pay for classes? Jr colleges can be just as expensive if not more than a 4 year school.

With regard to the help I had, if you have an application, stamp, and a mail box, you've got it. With online applications now, you don't even need the last two.

What infrastructure are you imagining here? The only thing my HS guidance councilor did was give me some advice on schools that had programs I was considering. They took no active steps to get me accepted or enrolled.

What would you say was more difficult, getting into college or the college courses once you were in college? In other words if someone is unable to handle the process of getting into college, is it likely they would also be unable to handle college courses?

Getting in wasn't hard, just tedious. Forms to fill out and etc, but I really dont see what ASS Ps issue is. As for "handling" college courses, well, for me the most challenging were calculus and physics (I was a biology major) but as long as I worked I did fine. The reason most people dont succede is not usually lack of ability. Its usually lack of dicipline and effective time management.

I heard it said that having a PhD just means you endured.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 10:01 pm

EzraS wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
ASS-P wrote:

At one point, I was considering getting a PhD.
One of my professors wanted me to.
I decided against it.
Who knows what my life would have been like if I had?
But hey, that's all conjecture, and I followed my gut feeling.
Life's been a struggle outside of college ...
... and that said, there's tons of interesting adventures I never would have had
if I'd gotten a PhD.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 5:12 pm

...DW has been more symphatetic to me recently, saying I should more or less have a comfortable rest of my life & wait to die :(. I have thought that myself ~ If I am both (maybe) not physically up to taking the road to uni, and, anyway, will never get enough of the (non-financial) help :cry: I need - Just lectured about " You can-should-must Do It All Yourself ! " ~ as from DW. who WENT TO A GUIDANCE COUNSELOR'SOFFICE AND SPOKE WITH HIM, and had more available to him besides :( - and then lectured me about how " he did it all himself " - Well, maybe he didn't go through what I went through :cry: .
I have sometimes thought I could have a pleasant decline/last act --- but it's dependent on me landing some sort of place, then that supposed bit of money I could get from my brother's estate and it being enough to set me up with a few things ~ Like some classic comic art books, a turntable again :cry: , reunite myself with the DVDs/pubs/CDs I bought some of in 2013/15 or so that I kept thinking I would take to my New Place, but, when that didn't happen, I'd either dump with someone or lose.
Have a comfortable rest of my life :cry: ? Maybe, be able to move on to something more? Maybe not. :(

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 12:42 pm

EzraS wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
ASS-P wrote:

Well it means you plowed through hundreds of journal articles and wrote a thesis for 5-6 years.

I thought graduate school would be college in its pure form--not a cash cow money maker but a pure pursuit of knowledge for its own sake. Nope. Since the graduate school is not the cash cow that the undergraduate school is, its seen by many Universities as a kind of necessary evil. They want to rush you through everything hinges on getting that thesis done. Its not like undergrad where as long as your money holds out, you can hang as long as you can. Its full of NT politics and socializing too, which I *HATED*. I hate bars and night clubs, and that's where they all wanted to go after a project. That stuff was far easier to avoid as an undergrad, where you can pretty much do whatever you want as long as you pass your classes. The majority of the work is done by the students, which is a bit like open heart surgery being attempted by a third year med student when you first start. The PhD profs are incredibly lazy and reach a point where they do less and less original research themselves.

Toward the end, I was unhappy and just wanted to go and get a job. I had no motivation to finish my thesis, but I forced myself to do it--I was not about to throw out something I spent 2 years on. The thought of five or six more years of that is repellant to me, even with the for real title of Doctor at the end. Its unnecessary unless you want a college teaching position or want to work for someone like NASA.

Post school, I have continued to read and study on my own, at my own pace and whatever I want. I've taught myself 99% of what I know about science.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 12:58 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...DW has been more symphatetic to me recently, saying I should more or less have a comfortable rest of my life & wait to die :(. I have thought that myself ~ If I am both (maybe) not physically up to taking the road to uni, and, anyway, will never get enough of the (non-financial) help :cry: I need - Just lectured about " You can-should-must Do It All Yourself ! " ~ as from DW. who WENT TO A GUIDANCE COUNSELOR'SOFFICE AND SPOKE WITH HIM, and had more available to him besides :( - and then lectured me about how " he did it all himself " - Well, maybe he didn't go through what I went through :cry: .
I have sometimes thought I could have a pleasant decline/last act --- but it's dependent on me landing some sort of place, then that supposed bit of money I could get from my brother's estate and it being enough to set me up with a few things ~ Like some classic comic art books, a turntable again :cry: , reunite myself with the DVDs/pubs/CDs I bought some of in 2013/15 or so that I kept thinking I would take to my New Place, but, when that didn't happen, I'd either dump with someone or lose.
Have a comfortable rest of my life :cry: ? Maybe, be able to move on to something more? Maybe not. :(

I filled out all my forms myself. You expected social workers to do all this for you. I got advice that you can get online and or from the schools themselves. And that's the last I'm going to say on the subject.

As far as your situation, I do understand an Aspie under the lash of NTs who don't understand and don't like him, unlike Oatmeal who lurks here and posts an occasional 'You people are terrible". Yeah, Oatmeal because I see nothing angel like about her. And not the good oatmeal either that comes in a packet with some brown sugar or dried fruit, I'm talking the nasty stuff in the card board can with the quakey shakey religious fanatic on it. You make that and its like nasty runny gruel--a perfect analogy of her, like what comes out of a human bilge pump.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 3:19 pm

...YOU GOT ADVICE, and talked to (I presume) friendly advice-givers, in their offices full of info. I couldn't :cry: . It was always forever out of reach :cry: . I didn't want them 100% filling out of my forms, I wanted HELP! And still do :cry: . And you had it, both direct and indirect. I
:( had - and have :( - none. You are, here, like that joke Ann Richards made about George H W Bush, " He was born third base and think she hit a home run " You claim " You did it all yourself ". No, you did not :evil: .

who222"]

ASS-P wrote:

I filled out all my forms myself. You expected social workers to do all this for you. I got advice that you can get online . or from the schools themselves. And that's the last I'm going to say on the subject.

As far as your situation, I do understand an Aspie under the lash of NTs who don't understand and don't like him, unlike Oatmeal who lurks here and posts an occasional 'You people are terrible". Yeah, Oatmeal because I see nothing angel like about her. And not the good oatmeal either that comes in a packet with some brown sugar or dried fruit, I'm talking the nasty stuff in the card board can with the quakey shakey religious fanatic on it. You make that and its like nasty runny gruel--a perfect analogy of her, like what comes out of a human bilge pump.[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 3:45 pm

A song for you: I turn on the tube what do I see
A whole lot a people cryin' don't blame me
They point their crooked little fingers at everybody else
Spend all their time feelin' sorry for themselves
Victim of this victim of that
Your mama's too thin and your daddy's too fat
Get over it
Get over it
All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it
Get over it
You say you haven't been the same since you had your little crash
But you might feel better if they gave you some cash
The more I think about it ole Billy was right
Let's kill all the lawyers kill 'em tonight
You don't wanna work you wanna live like a king
But the big bad world doesn't owe you a thing
Get over it
Get over it
If you don't want to play then you might as well split
Get over it
Get over it
It's like going to confession every time I hear you speak
Your makin' the most of your losin' streak
Some call it sick but I call it weak
Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah
Yeah you drag it around like a ball and chain
You wallow in the guilt
You wallow in the pain
You wave it like a flag you wear it like a crown
Got your mind in the gutter bringin' everybody down
b***h about the present and blame it on the past
I'd like to find your inner child and kick it's little ass
Get over it
Get over it
All this bitchin' and moanin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it
Get over it
Get over it
Get over it
It's gotta stop some time so why don't you quit
Get over it
Get over it
Get over it

The Eagles

Read more: The Eagles - Get Over It Lyrics | MetroLyrics

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 5:05 pm

...YOU HAD HELP. PERIOD. You said you were all over with this! You haven't been through what I"ve been through :cry: ! f**k you!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!
You certainly were " owed " that counselor/ the stuff in his office/your connections
:( :cry: :evil: .

222"]A song for you: I turn on the tube what do I see
A whole lot a people cryin' don't blame me
They point their crooked little fingers at everybody else
Spend all their time feelin' sorry for themselves
Victim of this victim of that
Your mama's too thin and your daddy's too fat
Get over it
Get over it
All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it
Get over it
You say you haven't been the same since you had your little crash
But you might feel better if they gave you some cash
The more I think about it ole Billy was right
Let's kill all the lawyers kill 'em tonight
You don't wanna work you wanna live like a king
But the big bad world doesn't owe you a thing
Get over it
Get over it
If you don't want to play then you might as well split
Get over it
Get over it
It's like going to confession every time I hear you speak
Your makin' the most of your losin' streak
Some call it sick but I call it weak
Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah
Yeah you drag it around like a ball and chain
You wallow in the guilt
You wallow in the pain
You wave it like a flag you wear it like a crown
Got your mind in the gutter bringin' everybody down
b***h about the present and blame it on the past
I'd like to find your inner child and kick it's little ass
Get over it
Get over it
All this bitchin' and moanin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it
Get over it
Get over it
Get over it
It's gotta stop some time so why don't you quit
Get over it
Get over it
Get over it

The Eagles

Read more: The Eagles - Get Over It Lyrics | MetroLyrics[/quote]

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 7:11 pm

...I am now at the bus station in downtown Santa Cruz, using their wi-fi rather than the Iguess pretty good e.g. at the. place - where my room is rather dark, and tends toward cold mornings, and I basically am in or on my bed all of time, and I have that cranky semi-dememtia'd roomate :( . I thought I'd go to the library near me, but it was closed " for " Black.Friday. Is the downtown library closed too? I wouldn't be surprised, and it normally close at 5?? 6?? Friday anyway. This phone's phone function Does Not Work. Period. :( I didn't want to strain myself by walknwalking a fair-ish bit to the library if it is closed - I might, then, be tempted to go to my Local Comics Shop and buy more, using their holiday sale as an excuse. I've bought too many comics - magazines and book collections - already, since I've been back, kind of treating myself and re-establishing a relationship with that LCS. I have too much reading matter in general - Remember, I do not have a CD player or downloaded albums, or Spotify, etc. - Or a radio or TV of any kind? Or DVD thing, either - I do Pandora and YouTube on my phone. :D

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 7:35 pm

...I also left the place telling myself I'd get yet more cheap Sally Army clothes, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're closed as well. Since being downtown, I haven't left the Metro Center. I bought a microwaved burrito%similar, a Diet Pepsi, etc. at their convenience store and read a couple of comics in the sun :D - an old Batman The Brave and the Bold and a new Image thing called Generation Gone.
It's odd that the rehab place hasn't gotten on my case about my being off Medic- now. Perhaps this holiday contributed. The nurses etc.? the highest people I generally have contact with, are generally great :) - Above them, the place seems to be not the most efficient-ly run place in the world 8) . If I am rendered HL again, absolutely literally, I have a backpack and a duffle bag. " Stuff "-wise, arguably, I should strip myself down to the clothes, etc. (tarp, raincoat...) In those bags plus " what I can carry in my pocket " - including a phone + charger and a teeny-weeny low end fidget spinner that I bought cuz' it' s " my identity, I'm autistic. " :| ...The winter shelter for HL has, seasonally, opened up here now.
Allegedly, they're going to open storage units for the HL at the Homeless Services Center here in December...

Last edited by ASS-P on 24 Nov 2017, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Floundering
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Nov 2017, 7:37 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...I am now at the bus station in downtown Santa Cruz, using their wi-fi rather than the Iguess pretty good e.g. at the. place - where my room is rather dark, and tends toward cold mornings, and I basically am in or on my bed all of time, and I have that cranky semi-dememtia'd roomate :( . I thought I'd go to the library near me, but it was closed " for " Black.Friday. Is the downtown library closed too? I wouldn't be surprised, and it normally close at 5?? 6?? Friday anyway. This phone's phone function Does Not Work. Period. :( I didn't want to strain myself by walknwalking a fair-ish bit to the library if it is closed - I might, then, be tempted to go to my Local Comics Shop and buy more, using their holiday sale as an excuse. I've bought too many comics - magazines and book collections - already, since I've been back, kind of treating myself and re-establishing a relationship with that LCS. I have too much reading matter in general - Remember, I do not have a CD player or downloaded albums, or Spotify, etc. - Or a radio or TV of any kind? Or DVD thing, either - I do Pandora and YouTube on my phone. :D

I read your posts all the time and i hate reading the situations you find yourself in, i see the smart as f**k guy in there, keep on fighting man, take no notice of the f*****s that show you disrespect, they'll understand eventually when it happens to them, you're a survivor bruv, soon it's gna get better, keep on keeping on.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 8:26 pm

...If I don't take the 6 P.M.?? bus back there's only one last bus, at 9 P.M
?? 8:30?? I told myself, Eh, maybe to get something done. I'll see Justice League a
downtown, as I had planned to do, but do I g nos: I"d havs to rush. It wouldn't be matinee-priced. And I kind of don't want to go on a " crowded, everybody goes to the movies " day such as Black Friday - Materialism Day :P . We' see...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 8:30 pm

Well...we need Black Friday so we can properly celebrate Dec. 25th, which, as we all know, is when we celebrate the birth of the Gross National Product.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 8:32 pm

ASS-P wrote:
Black Friday - Materialism Day :P . ...

I hate Black Friday.
This year, on top of the punching, kicking, screaming,
grown men fighting over a toy car,
and at least one gunshot,
a baby was hit with a shoe by some idiotic shopper.

I stay far, far away from Black Friday.

I hope you can see your movie though.
Personally, I'm waiting for the next Star Wars one.