Page 1 of 32 [ 505 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 3:56 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...You had an infrastructure to draw on, I'm sure, and a world/status that would back you up.

rwho222"]I don't know what to tell you, except that I see no way out of your situation. Even if you did go to school to be a gentleman scholar of some kind, how would you pay for classes? Jr colleges can be just as expensive if not more than a 4 year school.

With regard to the help I had, if you have an application, stamp, and a mail box, you've got it. With online applications now, you don't even need the last two.
[/quote]

What infrastructure are you imagining here? The only thing my HS guidance councilor did was give me some advice on schools that had programs I was considering. They took no active steps to get me accepted or enrolled.

BAP_Buddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Nov 2017, 4:08 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
ASS-P,

When I say that you should become a writer, here's the thing.
You have so much talent,
and so much life experience ...
that I think you already ARE a writer,
without needing to go to college.

My goodness, your life story would make an incredible series of blog posts, or a short story, a novel, a movie.
You could write about the plight of the homeless,
be an activist, like a, dare I say? Journalist.
... I wish you had a larger audience than just us folks here at WP.

What I wish was available to you
was some way you could make money with your writing.
Maybe that's what we should be brainstorming about?

And again, you know me.
I don't say stuff just to make people feel good.

I know he's asked for help with technology to no avail, but it'd be nice if someone could somehow help him set up a monetized blog. :)

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 10:19 pm

...A counselort. Who gave you information. And worked for an office set up to help you. And the status of " HS student trying to get in ". Not for me :cry: . I rest my case. :(

rwho222"]

ASS-P wrote:
...You had an infrastructure to draw on, I'm sure, and a world/status that would back you up.

rwho222"]I don't know what to tell you, except that I see no way out of your situation. Even if you did go to school to be a gentleman scholar of some kind, how would you pay for classes? Jr colleges can be just as expensive if not more than a 4 year school.

With regard to the help I had, if you have an application, stamp, and a mail box, you've got it. With online applications now, you don't even need the last two.
[/quote]

What infrastructure are you imagining here? The only thing my HS guidance councilor did was give me some advice on schools that had programs I was considering. They took no active steps to get me accepted or enrolled.[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 10:21 pm

...Yes, relating to this situation. it's the first time I've been asked this by them. Your last comment? Maybe so :| .

I'm not sure about this ASS-P....but is this the first time hospital people asked you "where you will be going?"

Who knows: maybe they're looking for some sort of placement for you.[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 1:01 pm

High school students do not have "status". Not unless your father is a millionaire, which mine certainly wasn't. All of the physical legwork of getting accepted and enrolled, including applications, essays, and in a few cases interviews was done by me. You were expecting social workers from the HOT team to do all or most of that for you, and that's nuts, that's not their job. As for your age, there were plenty of "Nontraditional students" enrolled when I was there. Om hasn't been to college and doesn't know that its not at all uncommon anymore.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 1:55 pm

..YOU TALKED TO A COUNSELOR!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! ! :x
You could have done MORE if you wanted it - and I'm sure you did things involving taking advantage of the availability of that office, you just CLAIM that you didn't!i :evil:
YOU'RE FULL OF s**t :x
I was not going to say more, but you said more :evil: !
You had help that I can only DREAM of :cry: .
I made attempts in the 80s and 90s to go back to school all by myself, or close to it - and the College-Industrial Complex SPIT IN MY FACE. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

o222"]High school students do not have "status". Not unless your father is a millionaire, which mine certaiasn't. All of the physical legwork of getting accepted and enrolled, including applications, essays, and in a few cases interviews was done by me. You were expecting social workers from the HOT team to do all or most of that for you, and that's nuts, that's not their job. As for your age, there were plenty of "Nontraditional students" enrolled when I was there. Om hasn't been to college and doesn't know that its not at all uncommon anymore.[/quote]

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 2:04 pm

I got information only and you can get that you can get online now. The colleges themselves also have counciling freely available to all entering students. You are full of s**t. You imagine crap and think it real.

By the by, I saw the old post with the offer that OOM made you. How could you have possibly passed that up? And don't give me there were posting problems, I'm sure you monkey wrenched it because you were harboring some dream of SFCC. The best you could hope for now is to live simply and peacefully for the rest of your days. She offered you that, and a bus ticket to reach it. You are a clear cut case of homeless by choice.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 2:20 pm

...You"re full of s**t there, too :evil:! By her own description, OOM changed her mind on that offer before. she sent any offer to me, aside from whether I wanted to go or not or whether you felt I should have wanted to go to CCSF - not even uni - And who are you that you tell me how to live my life :evil:? And. you DID HAVE offices full of info and people who would listen to you! (Likely more/better computer access as well.)
I was pushed into being homeless. I did not " monkey-wrench " OOM' s offer, she only told me of it after she had changed her mind. You did have help. You're full of s**t. :evil: :(

ho222"]I got information only and you can get that you can get online now. The colleges themselves also have counciling freely available to all entering students. You are full of s**t. You imagine crap and think it real.

By the by, I saw the old post with the offer that OOM made you. How could you have possibly passed that up? And don't give me :!: ?there were posting problems, I'm sure you monkey wrenched it because you were harboring some dream of SFCC. The best you could hope for now is to live simply and peacefully for the rest of your days. She offered you that, and a bus ticket to reach it. You are a clear cut case of homeless by choice.[/quote]

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 3:06 pm

Oh yes, no one should tell you how to live your life because you are doing so well. Dammit, I HATE having to agree with Oatmeal on anything.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 3:11 pm

...And you''re offering What? Hn :evil: :( .

ho222"]Oh yes, no one should tell you how to live your life because you are doing so well. Dammit, I HATE having to agree with Oatmeal on anything.[/quote]

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 4:33 pm

drwho222 wrote:
ASS-P wrote:

What infrastructure are you imagining here? The only thing my HS guidance councilor did was give me some advice on schools that had programs I was considering. They took no active steps to get me accepted or enrolled.

What would you say was more difficult, getting into college or the college courses once you were in college? In other words if someone is unable to handle the process of getting into college, is it likely they would also be unable to handle college courses?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 4:38 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
That's one of my dreams--to be a gentleman scholar......

Yes, I see you as making a fine gentleman scholar, kraftiekortie ... 8)

What is a gentleman scholar?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 5:05 pm

...While you are asking DW, not me, I would say that taking courses, etc. is something real...past vague " How to get in ? " questions which is something more phantom! I, too, am completely nonattached to the infrastructure
of the educational system..If I was in an enrolled situation I would be connected to the infrastructure, the academic world then - and the process of becoming enrolled would start me becoming part of the infrastructure, get me used to it.

S"]

drwho222 wrote:
ASS-P wrote:

What would you say was more difficult, getting into college or the college courses once you were in college? In other words if someone is unable to handle the process of getting into college, is it likely they would also be unable to handle college courses?[/quote]

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 5:32 pm

EzraS wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
That's one of my dreams--to be a gentleman scholar......

Yes, I see you as making a fine gentleman scholar, kraftiekortie ... 8)

What is a gentleman scholar?

There's an old saying, "You're a gentleman and a scholar."

... and Ezra,

you are a gentleman and a scholar. 8)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 5:25 am

ASS-P wrote:
...While you are asking DW, not me, I would say that taking courses, etc. is something real...past vague " How to get in ? " questions which is something more phantom! I, too, am completely nonattached to the infrastructure
of the educational system..If I was in an enrolled situation I would be connected to the infrastructure, the academic world then - and the process of becoming enrolled would start me becoming part of the infrastructure, get me used to it.

How does infrastructure apply, what do you mean by it regarding enrolling?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 7:43 am

I kind of?? meant " the stuff around you ", but also consider this...If I was enrolled and starting to go, it would mean that I had gotten in, had perhap begun to heal the trauma of my failed attempts before :cry: :(
And, it would mean that,, if I was about to go, funds sufficient to pay for tuition-fees-life-books-tech. had been found. That hurdle, would hsb9een.jumped over. I would"ve been able to prepare myself for going, yoo... " Get into shape " :|.

"]

ASS-P wrote:

How does infrastructure apply, what do you mean by it regarding enrolling?[/quote]