Autism Link of the day - Mothers immune system

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 4:41 am

Mother's immune system linked with severity of child's autism, new study shows

Quote:
Researchers at Sydney University's Brain and Mind Centre have published a study that shows a relationship between a mother's active immune response during pregnancy to allergies and asthma and "severe social impairment symptoms" in children with autism.

The retrospective study, involving 220 Australian children with autism, is in the latest Molecular Psychiatry. The researchers did not determine a causative relationship.

Lead author Professor Adam Guastella said they had identified an immune mediated sub-type in autism spectrum disorder, which would enable more streamlined diagnosis and treatments and improve outcomes.

"Our next step is to show clear markers for this profile, and after that to develop treatments for this subgroup, because we know that autism has many causes," said Professor Guastella

The researchers divided the 220 children into two categories – those with mothers who reported a history of chronic immune activation (caused by asthma and allergies) and those with mothers who reported a diagnosis of an autoimmune condition, such as diabetes and thyroid problems.

They found a history of autoimmune conditions in the mother was not associated with increased symptom severity. However the autoimmune group was much smaller.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman