What's the deal with the asexual autistic stereotype?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 2:49 pm

I think that I really may be asexual. I'm not only almost 44 and still a virgin, but I have no real desire to lose my virginity. It's only a problem because the pressures and stupidity of society, although it's harder on guys than it is on women. Society likes to believe that all men want sex and there's something horribly wrong with them if they don't and it's only women who never want sex. :roll:

I'm not aromantic, however. But that's yet another stupid thing society likes to believe: women are all asexual while men are all aromantic. Just look at every movie and TV show that features a couple.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 6:56 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I think that I really may be asexual. I'm not only almost 44 and still a virgin, but I have no real desire to lose my virginity. It's only a problem because the pressures and stupidity of society, although it's harder on guys than it is on women. Society likes to believe that all men want sex and there's something horribly wrong with them if they don't and it's only women who never want sex. :roll:

I'm not aromantic, however. But that's yet another stupid thing society likes to believe: women are all asexual while men are all aromantic. Just look at every movie and TV show that features a couple.

Amatonormativity is a paint in the but. Society thinks we're broken if we don't want to fall in love in one person and have 2.2 children and center our entire life around that goal.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2018, 6:59 am

A lot of autists do have a lack of libido. It tends to be more common among autistic individuals.

andy33
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Oct 2018, 4:48 pm

I'm revealed if people assume I'm asexual because of my Autism. It saves me trying to explain myself.

My experience is :

When I tell people I have Aspergers or Autism they accept it.
When I tell someone I'm Asexual they try to cure me.

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2018, 7:17 pm

I've many times (and still do) questioned if i'm asexual. I've had relationships but not had sex yet because i'd rather not i've just preferred keeping it at kissing and cuddling, but I do experience sexual attraction so it's confusing as i've not wanted to act on it yet even when i've had the chance as it's pretty normal for most people to have sex with someone they're dating...

None of my aspergers friends ever talk about sex not even the male ones and it's nothing I ever talk about either, only feels weird and embarassing and I think they feel the same way about talking about it. Maybe it is more common that we on the spectrum aren't as interested in sex as others are, can't say I understand why that is but it's possible.
All I can say is that I think sex is overrated and complicates any relationship, it's the main reason why people say men and women can't be friends for example yet i've had many platonic male friends and it's never been weird.

jatok2013
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Oct 2018, 11:26 pm

I believe there are a lot of asexuals on the spectrum, I'm also asexual, I just never developed an urge, and remained childish for the most part.

INTPCake
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2018, 7:24 am

I am asexual myself, but yes I have noticed this stereotype pop up a lot. :/

Sometimes the two can overlap (like in my case) but they don't overlap all the time.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 12:03 am

I'm Asexual because of my issues with personal space. I'm also asexual because I have a fear of the opposite sex. I also figure that it's better for me to stay young and have my fun than it is for me to be in a traditional relationship. I'd rather keep what makes me happy than give it up for an intimate relationship.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 10:38 am

Although I generally consider myself bisexual, I actually wonder if I'm asexual. I'm only in high school, and I don't want to pursue sexual relationships in the future.

Hsingai
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Dec 2018, 10:36 pm

We're in the ON zone of Socrates's Sexual Marketplace
14:33 of 'A Personal Map to the Sexual Marketplace | Socrates | Full Length HD' on youtube. sums it up.

The mentally disabled aren't allowed to be sexually active so they pretend they are asexual just like it does with minors. "It's ok to deny them sex because they don't really want it."

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 12:49 am

When I had sex I blew hot and cold with long lay offs. I was inept at knowing what to do when it came to foreplay. I had a psychological block a lot of the time re being able to maintain an erection. When I could perform it took me ages to climax. Summing it all up I sucked at sex and wasn’t that interested in it.

Now I consider myself asexual. There’s been no sex for 28 years.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 6:48 am

Sensory difficulties may play a part in this, at least for some people. I used to have a much higher sex drive before life responsibilities increased. Now it's lower because I'm worn out from most days. Too much interacting with people. Then sex can feel like yet another interaction, instead of being as enjoyable as it once was.

jatok2013

18 Dec 2018, 10:14 pm

Hsingai wrote:
We're in the ON zone of Socrates's Sexual Marketplace
14:33 of 'A Personal Map to the Sexual Marketplace | Socrates | Full Length HD' on youtube. sums it up.

The mentally disabled aren't allowed to be sexually active so they pretend they are asexual just like it does with minors. "It's ok to deny them sex because they don't really want it."

Can you post a link to the video please? I have noticed that I'm treated differently by people. Even when I make it clear my romantic interests to try being mornal, I get shot down. It took me 10 years of cruising gay bars to find a sugar daddy who didn't give a damn and let me try having a normie life. I just had to try it and see where it went. For me it turns I'm childlike but I like being touched like a grown-up sometimes.

It's a matter of finding out what we each like, and it's sad that this exploration isn't respected much by the normies.

Hsingai
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Dec 2018, 4:30 am

jatok2013 wrote:
Can you post a link to the video please?
Sorry posting videos is disabled for new users or I would of.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 9:12 pm

I always assumed it was because of the other stereotype that we (autistics) are "children trapped in adult bodies" or "pure cinnamon rolls" and so the Neurotypicals don't think of us as having sexual desires. Oh, if only they knew how wrong they are... :lol:

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 11:03 am

Austinfrom1995 wrote:
I always assumed it was because of the other stereotype that we (autistics) are "children trapped in adult bodies" or "pure cinnamon rolls" and so the Neurotypicals don't think of us as having sexual desires. Oh, if only they knew how wrong they are... :lol:

Yes they are :mrgreen: