Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2017, 6:40 pm

Over the weekend I bought an elliptical to help me lose a few pounds. Everybody tells me that I'll feel a lot better if I exercise and I'll be more awake and alert. But I used it yesterday for an hour and today for a half hour before work and when I got to the office I was so tired that I couldn't think straight and was almost falling asleep at my desk. I only stayed awake by drinking an ungodly amount of coffee. Is this normal? Am I pushing myself too hard? When will exercising start feeling the way everyone tells me it will?

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 4:06 am

Your calorie intake might be too low.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 4:35 am

Firstly, if you're in really terrible shape, it's smart to start small. I'd just try to sleep it off and then try to exercise moderately for the first two weeks or so.

If you don't see any improvement in your stamina, a vitamin or mineral deficiency might be the culprit, for example tamin D and iron. Or too few calories as my colleague above mentioned.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2017, 8:16 am

When you're new to exercising it takes a while to notice the benefits. An hour's training session is a lot, and if you haven't done it before, there's no wonder you got exhausted.
Just like "underwater" said, it's good to start small. If you challenge yourself too much from the start, you won't be able to reach your goals and your motivation will disappear quickly.

I've tried to start running many times, but only managed to keep it up for a few days, and I felt terrible. Until the last time i tried, when I only ran 100 meters the first day. It was so easy and took no time at all, which made it easy to go out and do it again the next day, when I ran 150 m. Still easy, still motivated to do it again tomorrow. I added 50 meters every day, and now I'm up at 3 km.
It was really easy to keep up, because when you beat the record every day (even if it's just 50 meters) it gives you a sense of accomplishment, and motivates you to beat it again. And once it's been done for a while, you really notice the benefits. The first few days, it will be exhausting, because you're body is not prepared for the extra work. The first couple of weeks, it can be tough to start the session, and it won't feel good until you've finished. But after a while, when it becomes a habit, it feels really good, even before and during exercise as well.
I used to hate training, but now I'm looking forward to it when I wake up. I exercise in the morning, because it kind of kick-starts my brain before I get to work. You are way more creative one to two hours after exercising, and the morning is also the time when the brain is best at coming up with new ideas, so as long as I do my creative work in the morning after exercising, I am way more effective and get better results.
The obvious benefits are more energy throughout the day, healthier in all kinds of ways, and feeling sexier :P

I don't know what you do with an elliptical, but I'm sure there's a good way to apply the "only 50 more meters every day"-thing on there too.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2017, 11:16 am

Interesting. For breakfast I usually have toaster waffles with peanut butter and two microwavable biscuit sausage sandwiches. What would you recommend I eat instead?

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 2:55 am

I have anorexia, knowing the calories are being burnt feels great.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 2:59 am

FunkyPunky wrote:
Interesting. For breakfast I usually have toaster waffles with peanut butter and two microwavable biscuit sausage sandwiches. What would you recommend I eat instead?

I had no idea what a biscuit sausage sandwich was, so I had to google it. I don't know the specifics of the ones you eat, but the number I found were 412 calories per sandwich.

So that's 824 calories from the sandwiches, and atleast 300(if not more) from the waffle with peanut butter, so we're well above 1000 calories. Now depending on your daily expenditure, and what you eat later in the day, I'd say that's quite alot. And we're also below 30 grams of protein and almost no vitamins, minerals or fiber.

Now I'm not the one who tells people they can't eat any junk, I eat quite a bit of junk, and I stay six pack lean year round(that being said, I monitor my calorie intake). It really depends what you eat for lunch and dinner, nutrition is about context. You can balance it out by eating foods rich in protein, paired with something that's nutritionally dense and high in fiber. For example chicken with stir fried veggies.

If want a breakfast that covers more bases, you could opt for something like fried eggs or scrambled eggs, with sausage or bacon, with chopped tomatoes.

Endling
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2017, 5:23 am

FunkyPunky wrote:

Closet Genious has some very good suggestions. I often rely on oatmeal for a nutritious and variable breakfast. There are many things you can do with it to keep it interesting: make it with water for a "lean" breakfast or with milk for some added protein and a more creamy texture. You can add a bit of sugar if you like things sweet, or change up the flavor with some cinnamon or a scoop of peanut butter (even more protein!). You can also add things like berries, banana, linseed, chocolate sprinkles or whatever floats your boat.

If you don't have time to cook oatmeal in the morning, you can also make what is called "overnight oats." You just put your oats in a container with whatever flavorings you like, add enough liquid to cover it all and then let it sit overnight. In the morning you'll have a ready made breakfast.

Oats have a good amount of protein, fiber and they keep you full for a while.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 11:23 am

When I first began running in my teens, I certainly didn't feel good after every session - quite the opposite! I'd sneak out in the mornings to my local field, attempt to run a lap and then stagger home: my lungs burned, everything ached, my breath was in stitches, even had a blood-taste in the back of my throat.
The body doesn't agree with our good efforts on a short-term basis if it's not used to it, really. Fatigue as others have said may indicate your energy levels were too low before the exercise however, but it also could be a side-effect of the work your muscles have done - it's normal. Over time you will improve, and the unpleasant symptoms should improve, too. This won't happen immediately but should slowly ease up with regular workouts - depending on the exercise that could mean anything from a couple of weeks to over a month. Best wishes. :)

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2017, 1:15 pm

Right now I'm working out in the mornings because I work the night shift at work. But this weekend I'm getting moved to the morning shift so I'll have time to workout in the evenings. Maybe that will help since I won't have any reason to be awake and alert once I come home from work.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 1:30 pm

Starting a new excersise regime always feels tough and takes a while to get into it and see the benefits.

Remember that eating the correct things will make a big difference to how you feel after and will help with energy levels. We also each have our own optimal time to excersise based on natural energy levels where we get the most out of it and feel good after. For me it is midday to afternoon, I would be a mess all day if I worked hard in the gym before work!

Good luck!

Last edited by Biscuitman on 12 Oct 2017, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 1:36 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:

I don't know what those things are, they sound processed.

Each morning I have home made muesli. Jumbo oats, sultanas, chopped mixed nuts, a banana and some milk to go with it. Keeps you full for ages and gives you good energy levels. I also start the day with a protein shake as I lift weights.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 4:39 pm

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, as I haven't had the opportunity to read through the thread, but, you may have been particularly fatigued at work, as the result of electrolyte depletion/dehydration, which can result from exercise and/or your coffee consumption, as both deplete minerals of which are essential to cell and muscle performance, in addition to many other functions (of the body, mind and brain). There's nothing wrong with drinking coffee, of course, as long as you replenish, accordingly, and this is particularly crucial, if you are exercising in conjunction with drinking coffee. I replenish with lemon juice or coconut water, but, there are other means, such as electrolyte tablets and sport drinks. It's merely a matter of personal preference.

I found this article which pertains to elliptical workouts for beginners, and the importance of building endurance:

https://www.verywell.com/elliptical-tra ... rs-1230802

~Wishing you much success

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 5:43 am

FunkyPunky wrote:
Over the weekend I bought an elliptical to help me lose a few pounds. Everybody tells me that I'll feel a lot better if I exercise and I'll be more awake and alert. But I used it yesterday for an hour

Too much too soon! It's no wonder you feel wrecked!

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2017, 1:38 pm

How long do you think I should use it for?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 10:11 pm

Exercise doesn't feel very good when you start, at least not for anyone I've ever heard of. I would try 20 or 30 minutes to start.

Your breakfast sounds like junk food. Junk food will affect whether you "feel good" during/after the workout. Fatty foods can eventually affect blood flow and simple carbs can cause blood sugar problems that will make you crash during or after a workout.