LoveNotHate wrote:
Jeremy Irons was right ...

‘Could A Father Not Marry His Son?’
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/ ... 09495.html

Now ...

'Father' Marries His 'Son'
http://www.newser.com/story/207464/fath ... mpaign=syn

I don't see why gay marriage would change the rules on incest marrige

Also the people in the second article you posted weren't actually father and son, but since their gay marriage wouldn't be recognized one adopted the other and they posed as father and son legally. Also says the court had to dissolve the adoption for them to marry.

Not even close to the same thing as a biological father and son having an incestual gay relationship.

The justification for "incest" is to stop "inbreeding".

However, two men can't have a child.

So, this is just discrimination.

Gay marriage makes "adult-father-son-marriage" a civil rights cause.

Always thought the incest examples were funny, but not the main problem. The "slippery slope" of gay marriage will of course lead to such ridiculous things but the most worrying one would be polygamy. Such "marriages" can easily be argued on exactly the same grounds as the gay marriage debate was fought on. Lo and behold what did I see on the BBC a few weeks ago? A Muslim asking for legal recognition for polygamous marriages, repeatedly referencing gay marriage. The slippery slope should not always be dismissed as fallacy.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 2:41 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Jeremy Irons was right ...

‘Could A Father Not Marry His Son?’
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/ ... 09495.html

Now ...

'Father' Marries His 'Son'
http://www.newser.com/story/207464/fath ... mpaign=syn

I don't see why gay marriage would change the rules on incest marrige

Also the people in the second article you posted weren't actually father and son, but since their gay marriage wouldn't be recognized one adopted the other and they posed as father and son legally. Also says the court had to dissolve the adoption for them to marry.

Not even close to the same thing as a biological father and son having an incestual gay relationship.

The justification for "incest" is to stop "inbreeding".

However, two men can't have a child.

So, this is just discrimination.

Gay marriage makes "adult-father-son-marriage" a civil rights cause.

No inbreeding is a reason not to participate in incest because it can cause deformities in offspring.

two men could adopt a child.

what is discrimination?

And no gay marrige means gay people can marry an unrelated person of the same sex, not that marrying your relatives is legal. The two in the article aren't related to each other so this certainly does not make a case for people who are related to each other.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 2:50 pm

Actually, it's legal in some states to marry your cousins.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 9:58 pm

After promising that he would respect gay marriage while on the campaign trail, Trump has recently said he would consider overturning it. Gotta pay back his fundie/holy roller values voters base. :x

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 10:01 pm

and to appease his veep whom he recently joked, "he wants to hang them (LGBTQ) all!"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 10:42 pm

auntblabby wrote:
and to appease his veep whom he recently joked, "he wants to hang them (LGBTQ) all!"

Goes to show you, Trump has zero values or strongly held beliefs. He tells people who he needs what they want to hear, but will always hold them in contempt.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 10:56 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Goes to show you, Trump has zero values or strongly held beliefs. He tells people who he needs what they want to hear, but will always hold them in contempt.

I still don't get why Christians voted for him en masse? :scratch: how could they vote for somebody so obviously un-christian?

beady
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 11:03 pm

Woody Allen married his adopted daughter. But! he actually had a father daughter relationship with her. He's creepy.

WRT gay marriage: love is love.

The best healthcare should be for all , shame on those who oppose such a basic human need. Christian conservatives combat abortion then destroy healthcare and let the baby die as an adult. How does that make sense? Even more important than education. We collect taxes for roads but let people die.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 11:10 pm

^^^makes no sense to me, either. :scratch:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 11:13 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I still don't get why Christians voted for him en masse? :scratch: how could they vote for somebody so obviously un-christian?

The prevalent theory is that many of them believed Trump would turn back the clock on Roe Vs Wade, would bring back what they believe is their religious liberty by allowing their businesses to deny equal access to customers they don't approve of, and never really believed he was all that serious about respecting gay marriage. But more, they believe God rewards the faithful with riches and punishes the evil with poverty - otherwise known as the prosperity gospel - thus making Trump seem Godly in their eyes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 11:15 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

The prevalent theory is that many of them believed Trump would turn back the clock on Roe Vs Wade, would bring back what they believe is their religious liberty by allowing their businesses to deny equal access to customers they don't approve of, and never really believed he was all that serious about respecting gay marriage. But more, they believe God rewards the faithful with riches and punishes the evil with poverty - otherwise known as the prosperity gospel - thus making Trump seem Godly in their eyes.

I can only think of one place they got their twisted perversion of Christianity. :twisted:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 11:34 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I can only think of one place they got their twisted perversion of Christianity. :twisted:

I think I know which place you mean.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 11:36 pm

beady wrote:
Woody Allen married his adopted daughter. But! he actually had a father daughter relationship with her. He's creepy.

The best healthcare should be for all , shame on those who oppose such a basic human need. Christian conservatives combat abortion then destroy healthcare and let the baby die as an adult. How does that make sense? Even more important than education. We collect taxes for roads but let people die.

The Christian right cares about you before you're born, and after you die, but not in between.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 11:37 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I think I know which place you mean.

from the Prince of Prevarication himself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 11:39 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
beady wrote:

The Christian right cares about you before you're born, and after you die, but not in between.

I don't believe they care about anybody different from themselves, not at all, no matter where one is on the spectrum of living and dying.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 11:46 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
beady wrote:

I don't believe they care about anybody different from themselves, not at all, no matter where one is on the spectrum of living and dying.

Thus is the result of the religious right's alliance with the political right - instead of changing secular politics, the religious right embraced the hardhearted philosophy of the secular right in which the poor are demonized.