Rarely 13%  13%  [ 10 ]
Never 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
I don't know 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 78

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 10:19 pm

I avoid restaurants that are too crowded and too noisy.

All else being equal, I'll go to a restaurant with the best natural light. My idealized notion of a restaurant is one overlooking a beach, facing south, with large windows wrapping around the east, south, and west sides of the dining area and with white or light colored ceilings, walls, floors, and tables/table cloths.

I've never actually been in such a restaurant even if you take away the constraints of it overlooking a beach and facing south.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 11:12 pm

bunnyb wrote:
I don't cope well with big crowded, noisy places. There are a few smaller places I like but to be comfortable I have to be able to sit with my back to the wall and be able to see the door. I've had to scrub one of fav's off the list recently. It was a Turkish restaurant which we had gone to for years. Last time we went the had a belly dancer do a show. WTF? The music was deafening and she was making her way around all the tables. I had to go outside until she stopped. Never going back there again :evil:

That's like mariachi bands at Mexican restaurants.

CubeComet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2017, 1:54 am

Restaurants overwhelm me. Especially the noise. Loud blaring music. Especially the usual quick pop music or romantic young adult song. The jazz music played often in coffee shops are more calming to me.

Then there are the different conversations. Voices of men, women, children, families and friends.
Whispers to roaring laughter. Monotone voices to expressive voices. The visual confusion of many people moving around and making gestures. The lights giving of a blare. Different people brushing off me as I move through crowds. Various strong smells from different food.

Nah. I just rather order the food if I want some or go to less popular restaurants. I can stay in loud malls or crowded restaurants for an hour or two depending on how tired or energized I am. Maybe even three hours if I was really well rested and in a good mood. I would never go alone. Who knows what would happen if I was stuck alone with sensory overload in public?

Usually I have to take naps and rest after going somewhere like that. Too much and I’ll have a shutdown. Oh well. Homemade food it is.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 2:45 am

One thing I do is avoid restaurants when they are busy. My usual lunchtime is about 3 pm and supper about 9 pm.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 9:12 am

eric76 wrote:
My idealized notion of a restaurant is one overlooking a beach
Oh -- that reminds me, I did once get to go to a beach restaurant! It was actually nice! I did enjoy that occasion.

We sat on the outdoor patio overlooking a harbor, and our table was right by the railing, so there was a sense of space you don't get if your table is in the middle of everyone else's tables. It was nice to be by the patio railing actually looking out at water, boats, the open sky and gulls flying.

And because it was open-air, all the sounds of everyone's conversations and plates and forks clanking sounded more dissipated. I could probably be happy dining on the patio of a beach restaurant any time.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 6:14 pm

Yes, when there's a screaming baby or noisy children around or there's the smell of a food I don't like. Mind you, I try to avoid restaurants which serve food I don't like.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 6:23 pm

I don't often try new restaurants and try to avoid going when it's super busy, both of which probably help me handle it better.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 6:51 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
eric76 wrote:
My idealized notion of a restaurant is one overlooking a beach
Oh -- that reminds me, I did once get to go to a beach restaurant! It was actually nice! I did enjoy that occasion.

We sat on the outdoor patio overlooking a harbor, and our table was right by the railing, so there was a sense of space you don't get if your table is in the middle of everyone else's tables. It was nice to be by the patio railing actually looking out at water, boats, the open sky and gulls flying.

And because it was open-air, all the sounds of everyone's conversations and plates and forks clanking sounded more dissipated. I could probably be happy dining on the patio of a beach restaurant any time.

I quite like dining outside myself.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 7:52 pm

Yes, food even tastes better outdoors.

bmasters1981
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Oct 2017, 1:04 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
precious lil "people" have the nerve to squeal "eeewww!", when i eat in a way they do not like

IIRC (it's been more than a month of Sundays, a lot more), when I was in school in the lunchroom, I would oftentimes dip french fries in Ranch dressing. It tasted good to me, but then I heard an "eww!" I thought, if you don't like it that way, you don't have to have it that way. (Of course, I'm just going off memory, so I might be incorrect in one way or another.)

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 9:10 pm

bmasters

french fries in ranch dressing.

doesn't sound too weird/extreme to me.

personally, i would not choose to eat french fries in ranch dressing, if i had other options.

however, there is a lot of popular food out there that i do not eat (or almost never eat) nowadays

when i was eating a tofu burrito from the student food coop, someone that told me he was 30some years old had the nerve to squeak "ew! have you very heard of a carne asada burrito?"

but whatever

if i were to have been eating a carne asada burrito maybe he would've demanded me to give it to him.

(rolls eyes)

likewise, precious lil "people" have the nerve to ask if i am a vegetarian.

and then someone (former swim coach) correctly pointed out that the sandwich i was eating did not contain meat.

it was like :D wtf :?: :?: :?: :?:

:idea:

just b/c someone is not a vegetarian does not follow that every meal must contain meat

at the soup kitchen they had vegetarian and regular.

and i got vegetarian.

some precious lil "people" act like if you are not a vegetarian you must be on Atkins.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 9:46 pm

Restaurants are hard for me to go to especially by myself. Fast-food restaurants are easier because you don't have to stay.

My main trouble is being nervous(especially when I have to talk to the cashier!), noise and the fact that I have a hard time reading the menus(it's confusing.) I hate when there is a baby crying or loud children!

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 9:49 pm

No, not really. I like them. Though I don't like waiting for my food.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 11:02 pm

I voted "Sometimes" but I would have preferred it if the question were asking how hard they are rather than how often they are.

For me, the only thing I find somewhat difficult about them is that there's generally social interaction with the people I'm with. No issue with the atmosphere or anything like that.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 11:26 pm

The only problem I would have in a restaurant is which food is available in the menu, and "what 'food name' is this?? Because I'm bad at knowing and remembering food names". :lol: And, of course, the costs.

So my main issue there is option availability, not the environment itself. :|

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 12:36 am

We only have one restaurant in the local town where my office is located that is open after 2 pm. Last week, the weekly food truck didn't show up. I went over for supper Saturday night and they had no hamburgers, no french fries (they had been out of french fries since at least Thursday), and no onion rings. I don't know what else they were out of.

I was told today that the company owning it owns 18 restaurants in the chain and that they cancelled all deliveries last week to all of their restaurants. The rumor is that all 18 closed for good Sunday night.

I also found out Sunday afternoon that my favorite hamburger place in the area closed for good at the end of September. I'm only in that town once a month and so I didn't know anything was out of the ordinary until I showed up last Sunday at 7 pm and they were closed. The only remaining hamburger place in that town worth going to is an old time drive-in and I really hate to eat in the car. The hamburger place that is across the street from the one that closed has great reviews on Yelp, but their food is terrible. There's still a good Mexican place in the town that I like. There are also a Japanese restaurant and an Italian restaurant that I really like, but they are rather expensive.

The best hamburger place in the county is still open, but I don't know for how long. It is an old time lunch counter in a drugstore another town over that closes at 2:30 in the afternoon. There is no place in that town that is open after 2:30 where I will eat.

So my choices, for the most part, are now to cook my own supper, get something at the taco truck down the street which is only open on weekdays and only when the weather is good, or to drive to another town. I'm hoping that the local cafe starts staying open after 2 pm or at least reopen in the evenings.

To the best of my knowledge, there will be no restaurants open anywhere in my county at all on Sundays after this.