Breaking - 3yr Old Autistic girl Missing in Texas

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 12:27 am

A three-year-old American girl with a developmental disability has gone missing after her father sent her outside in the early hours of the morning as punishment for not drinking her milk.

Wesley Mathews, from Texas, told police he sent his adoptive daughter, Sherin to stand next to a tree across an alley from their home at 3am on Saturday morning.

Mathews claims he returned to check on her at 3:15am and the little girl was gone, but he did not notify police of her disappearance for a further five hours — something detectives say is "certainly concerning for us".

"That does not seem like a normal response that one would do if you have a missing child", Richardson Texas Police Sgt. Kevin Perlich told Time.

The 37-year-old told police the child was malnourished when they adopted her, and she often snacked at night so it wasn't unusual for her to be up and about at this time.

He also told detectives he had previously spotted coyotes in the area, but cops aren't investigating this line of inquiry further.

Mathews has since been charged with abandoning or endangering a child. According to the New York Daily News he is no longer co-operating with the police after bailing himself out on a $250,000 bond.

Detectives released a photo of Sherin who was wearing leggings, a pink long-sleeved top and pink thongs when she disappeared.
http://honey.nine.com.au/2017/10/11/09/ ... texas-girl

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 12:29 am

Anyone living in the area please keep your eyes peeled

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 1:58 am

I like the police suspect an attempt to get rid of her using the punishment story as an excuse. Whether the story is real or not the guy is an idiot.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 2:01 am

What a royal mess! It reads like a What-Not-To-Do with autistic children.

Hope they find her soon.

How did this guy end up adopting her anyway?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 3:31 pm

No word yet?
http://fox4kc.com/2017/10/11/3-year-old ... ne-area-2/

The story is really strange? why would a three year old be punished at 3.15am in the morning for not drinking milk? surely the child should be asleep? The father bailed himself and is not cooperating with the police which leads me to believe the worst

The couple adopted the child as a baby in an oprhanage in India, my guess is they had no idea the baby had autism

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 4:03 pm

My god. She's THREE. What kind of a monster sends a tiny little girl out into the night alone to punish her?? She's practically still a baby.

I hope she is found alive and well, but even if she is, this guy needs to have the book thrown at him. And that child placed in better care.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 6:54 pm

Apparently the local church is standing behind them saying they are good parents and loved their children.

The evidence suggests this is not the case given a second child was taken away earlier by child protective services. If there was a risk then the question must be asked why this little 3yr old would be left behind by social services if the father was already identified as a risk for child endangerment??

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Oct 2017, 2:04 am

Something is very wrong with this story. Indeed suspicious circumstances. No child that age should be sent out alone at 3 a m under any circumstances. And if she "often snacked at night" then why punish her for not drinking her milk at that time? The police should leave no stone unturned in their investigation. No parent, adoptive or otherwise would wait five hours before getting anxious. She's not 16.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 2:09 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Something is very wrong with this story. Indeed suspicious circumstances. No child that age should be sent out alone at 3 a m under any circumstances. And if she "often snacked at night" then why punish her for not drinking her milk at that time? The police should leave no stone unturned in their investigation. No parent, adoptive or otherwise would wait five hours before getting anxious. She's not 16.

Yes. Who on earth does that?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 5:17 am

I think the longer the child is missing the more likely this will transition from a missing child to a murder investigation

There is a still an outside chance somebody picked up the child but with the FBI involved it's likely its turning into a homicide as somebody would have called the police by now of they found a 3 yr old walking around in PJs

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 7:58 am

cyberdad wrote:
Apparently the local church is standing behind them saying they are good parents and loved their children.

The evidence suggests this is not the case given a second child was taken away earlier by child protective services. If there was a risk then the question must be asked why this little 3yr old would be left behind by social services if the father was already identified as a risk for child endangerment??

It always amazes me how often a town stands behind a bully or worse especially but certainly not only when the victim is autistic. If the person is nice and friendly, smiles a lot, knows how to network all evidence showing the person is bad is ignored and people conclude it must be the accuser or victim's fault. And with filicide of autistics, there is often the "we don't approve of what they did" but under the circumstances, we still have sympathy for them comments.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 5:48 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

It always amazes me how often a town stands behind a bully or worse especially but certainly not only when the victim is autistic. If the person is nice and friendly, smiles a lot, knows how to network all evidence showing the person is bad is ignored and people conclude it must be the accuser or victim's fault. And with filicide of autistics, there is often the "we don't approve of what they did" but under the circumstances, we still have sympathy for them comments.

There is a deep underbelly of of family abuse in the NT world that is quietly brushed under the carpet. The wider community is forced to take sides when the abuse spills over into hospitalisation, child services or worse.
Children with autism are at much greater risk of violence from peers but also from their own family compared with NT kids. What does not help is when parents are accused of not disciplining their autistic kids (especially in public) thus internalising social stigma and taking out their foolish insecurities on the poor child.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 11:27 pm

Even if they find the girl safe, and that convoluted story the father tells turns out to be the truth, he should still be brought up on charges of child endangerment.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 1:21 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Even if they find the girl safe, and that convoluted story the father tells turns out to be the truth, he should still be brought up on charges of child endangerment.

His excuses are bordering on farcical...in addition to waiting 5 hrs before calling the police he seemed to be suggesting she might have been taken by a coyote! it's almost like he is setting up an alibi

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 1:45 am

cyberdad wrote:

Why the f*ck where they able to adopt a child if a child was taken away from them by child protective services? Like what the f*ck supposedly child abuse is bad, yet someone who has their kid taken away due to abusing them can just go adopt another kid what the hell kind of system is that?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 1:48 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

His excuses are bordering on farcical...in addition to waiting 5 hrs before calling the police he seemed to be suggesting she might have been taken by a coyote! it's almost like he is setting up an alibi

I'm sure he got that from the Australian movie where the baby was taken by a dingo.